Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 03:13 AM

20 posts, read 37,940 times

Advertisements

Hi guys , can any one tell me how realtors work in the us, ie who pays them etc ,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 06:34 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I am a realtor in Florida so I can comment on Florida. Generally, if you are listing a property, you will sign an exclusive right to list agreement with an agent's broker and that agreement will require you to pay X percent of the purchase price to the listing broker when they bring you a ready, willing, and able buyer. Technically, you don't have to actually close on the property to owe the fee but I think most brokers use the closing as the benchmark for the fee to be owed. Also in the listing agreement, you will authorize the listing broker to pay X percent of the selling price to a cooperating broker who might bring you a buyer. Now, if you are a buyer, that same listing agreement is the mechanism by which your agent's broker (and therefore your agent) will be compensated for helping you with your purchase so, in effect, the listing broker pays the selling broker and the selling broker pays the selling agent (your agent).
As a buyer, you might also be asked to sign a buyer-broker agreement where you agree to pay your agent's broker X percent (or X dollars) for helping you purchase a home, and that amount will be offset by whatever amount your broker receives from the listing broker. So, for example, you might agree to pay your broker 3% but you might purchase a property where the listing broker only pays 2.5% to the cooperating buyer's broker. In that case, you would be obligated to pay the additional .5% to your agent's broker. To my knowledge, most agents don't use this particular agreement, and when it is used, it is not used so much for collecting any differential in commission rates but mostly used as a way of keeping buyers true to their agent. If you consider that agents are simply small business operators who have nothing more than their time, effort, knowledge and service to 'sell', it can be extremely costly (not to mention frustrating) to work very hard trying to help a customer only to then discover that they walked into an open house without you and signed a contract. Having an agreement up front helps to solidify both parties' obligations to each other.
Although you didn't ask about agency relationships, I won't go into that but you should be aware that there are different types of agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area