Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times

Advertisements

SWA is pulling the AirTran flights from DFW--and the CEO is claiming that the Wright Amendment requires it--totally false and that move might get the feds to pinch them somewhat--
they are really taking competition for FL routes out of contention with that move
Wright Amendment does not affect DFW at all--just Love Field--
SWA just does not want to compete with AA at DFW--
once again--penalizing the people who DO use DFW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 10:53 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,858,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
No worries. The merger wont go through until next year at the earliest. They have a long way to go. They need to get shareholder approval. They will. They need to get government approval. They will. But it will take some time and their expectations are that both airline remain seperate units until both of those thing happen first.
Then it will take some time to implement the changes to structure. Somewhere in 2012 they will have effectively removed the Airtran name. Until then you will continue to pay baggeage fees on Airtran
I never pay baggage fees, because I never check luggage. But I DO like having an assigned seat on Air Tran, unlike the free for all that is Southwest.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Southwest is starting a policy to let people buy an assigned seat I believe

and most people who have flown SWA for long time (since it started maybe) are so used to getting to the airport early for one flight and taking the one in front and just queing for a seat--
it makes it very easy to swap out flights--and for some of the business travelers that is boon...

Old 10-06-2010, 03:56 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,858,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Southwest is starting a policy to let people buy an assigned seat I believe

and most people who have flown SWA for long time (since it started maybe) are so used to getting to the airport early for one flight and taking the one in front and just queing for a seat--
it makes it very easy to swap out flights--and for some of the business travelers that is boon...
Rats. So my "never pay for luggage, but free seat assignments" is now going to turn into paying for my seat assignment.
Just goes to show you, they'll get you somehow!!

Old 10-06-2010, 04:32 PM

473 posts, read 1,163,317 times
I'm not sure but I think what Southwest does is charge you $10 if you want an early bird check in. Which simply means you will be lining up but at the front which of course means you will have the best seats to choose from including exit row. I don't think they actually guarantee a seat assignment. I could be wrong though because they also have some sort of business class I think but again I could be wrong. I haven't used them enough to know all the details. But I have used them enough to know they are cool. The pre flight instructions on one flighht were worth the price of the ticket. The guy had us rolling in the aisle. In a very droll voice he said if you see the oxygen mask come down, stop screaming and then place the cup over your mouth. It was very funny. If your connecting to Baltimore you will be going to gate 5. If you're connecting on another airline, we don't care On the first flight we had with them, a crew member came on and announced that the buffett was open at the back of the plane. After a bunch of dumb looks from everyone he said they have placed the rest of their snacks in the back and you can help yourself. Flying sucks these days and a little humor goes a long way in my books!

They are a cattle call but I have flown them a few times now and will be again on our next trip on Thanksgiving day. I do know from what a friend told me, it is extremely important that you do online check in at the earliest possible time which is 24 hours before your flight. We've done that and been group A or B so there were no issues. Say what you want about them good or bad I believe they do have the best safety record of any airline. Actually the only incident I can recall was in Chicago or Milwaukee or somewhere that way where the plane slid off the runway in a bad snowstorm.

I used to laugh at them and think it is a cattle call. It is. But if your nice to their people you will likely end up with a free drink and thats always nice. I was satsified enough to have decided to use them again but I think that online check in at the 24 hour mark is CRUCIAL.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:01 PM

About.com: http://www.southwest.com/help/boardingschool/

You are shhoting yourself in the foot to be mean to someone else. If you like to have the better seats, try what I do. Book Busines Class and you will be one of the first 15 on the airplane and can Choose your own seat even IF you booked on 25 hours prior. You will sit in SW confortable leather seats, gte a free drink if you desire and have many more direct flights. You will also get free flights much quicker. Try it and you will say forget AirTran ever existed.

that is what one SWA customer posted to someone who was bemoaning the AirTran merger--of course buying a Business seat means paying more and thus buying a preferred seat

Last edited by loves2read; 10-06-2010 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area