Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:05 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,855,213 times

Advertisements

When I get a knock on the door, I always wonder if I should open it. I mean, maybe a child from down the block is selling Girl Scout cookies or one of my neighbors is stopping by to say hello. I live on a quiet, residential street with almost no traffic. Half of my neighbors are retirees and some of them left in May for the summer.

My door bell just rang and I kept yelling "Hello. Who's there, please?" I sometimes don't hear anyone, so I wonder if my voice doesn't carry, but it's very frustrating. There was no vehicle in sight, and I kept calling out "Who is it?" When I opened the door, it was a man taking a survey about the water quality (probably trying to sell a water purification system) I just said that I'm only here temporarily and not the owner, which is true.

The reason I'm posting today is that, after the man left, I began to think about [URL="http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/sep/22/221914/north-port-police-arrest-suspect-in-rape-of-elderl/"]this story[/URL] on last night's local news. Who would ever worry about opening the door at 9 on a Sunday morning, yet this poor woman was brutally attacked.

Does living in a nice area mean that I'm safe? How do you feel about answering the door when a stranger rings the bell?

Last edited by justNancy; 09-23-2010 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: fixed post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 02:28 PM

17,484 posts, read 38,915,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
When I get a knock on the door, I always wonder if I should open it. I mean, maybe a child from down the block is selling Girl Scout cookies or one of my neighbors is stopping by to say hello. I live on a quiet, residential street with almost no traffic. Half of my neighbors are retirees and some of them left in May for the summer.

My door bell just rang and I kept yelling "Hello. Who's there, please?" I sometimes don't hear anyone, so I wonder if my voice doesn't carry, but it's very frustrating. There was no vehicle in sight, and I kept calling out "Who is it?" When I opened the door, it was a man taking a survey about the water quality (probably trying to sell a water purification system) I just said that I'm only here temporarily and not the owner, which is true.

The reason I'm posting today is that, after the man left, I began to think about this story on last night's local news. Who would ever worry about opening the door at 9 on a Sunday morning, yet this poor woman was brutally attacked.

Does living in a nice area mean that I'm safe? How do you feel about answering the door when a stranger rings the bell?
Well, yes and no. Yes, my neighborhood is pretty safe, but I NEVER, NEVER NEVER open the door if I don't know who is there! I didn't even open it for the police once, until he showed his badge and explained through the window what he was there for (searching for missing child)

I get all kinds of people coming door-to-door, wanting to trim trees, mow lawn, clean house, sell meat, work construction, etc. and I am not even polite to those people, I just holler through the window NO THANKS. You never know who you are dealing with, and I trust no one. Some of my neighbors are really dumb because they open the door up to anyone.

In these times, no matter where one lives, NO ONE should EVER open the door unless you know who it is or are expecting someone!

Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,911,418 times
I read about that poor woman in this mornings newspaper. North Port police arrest man in rape of elderly woman | HeraldTribune.com

My mother always taught me, never ever answer the door unless you are expecting them.

I live in a nice safe neighborhood in sleepy Venice, and never have I questioned my mothers teaching. Crime can happen at any time or any place.

I would suggest next time don't answer the door. Is a water quality questionaire really worth your safety?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:45 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,130,929 times
if you feel uncomfortable and live alone then maybe take a self defense class, not one of the 2 hour concealed classes at the gun show but a real defense gun class. that way when you answer the door and feel uncomfortable you can take a "friend" with you.

another option that i was emailed is wasp spray. it shoots 20 feet and there is alot in a can. you can be farther away than the effective range of pepper spray. the other advantage is if you answer the door with that in your hand you dont look like a paranoid fool. the email that i got says that it is very potent at disabling someone.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:53 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,595,110 times
I believe that about wasp spray--it does terrible things if it gets in your eyes or mouth--

get a good spy-hole in your door so that you can look out--
our door at home is large and expensive with faceted glass portion screened with iron bars--decorative but also burglar proof--
but anyone can see you walking up to the door through the glass as a presence--
but we don't have a spyhole placed in it...
people next door have solid wood plank door and a tv camera viewer as part of their security system...
nice...

Old 09-23-2010, 10:58 PM

I just wanted to get some feedback so I thank all of you for your comments. I guess I've been a little foolish, since I always feel safe here because it's so quiet, but it's true that opening the door to a stranger might be dangerous, even if it's another woman.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,595,110 times
When I was pregnant with my second child (30 yrs ago) we lived outside Houston in area north of I-10== around Bear Creek--at that time "nice" subdivision still under construction...I was taking a nap with my 3 yr old and was awakened but still very groggy by heavy knocking at my door--
when I opened it there was tall anglo guy dressed in jeans and shirt--like construction workers wore--he had a hammer in his hand which I did not really notice or pay attention to--I was just so groggy--almost half asleep still...
he asked me some stupid question and I gave some kind of response --then he walked down sidewalk to a truck where another guy was driving...
I thought it was strange but was so sleepy all I could think about was finishing my nap--
later on I heard that those guys had methodically gone around to the houses where they did not see the sign of a deadbolt installed above the door knob and used the hammer to just knock out the door handle and burgle the homes--
they did a house further down the street from mine and the woman walked in on them still in the house-they ran out but took most of the stuff they had gathered in blanket--
she was not hurt but she WAS really frightened...don't remember they were ever caught--

so going to the door in that case WAS probably better than ignoring it--if I had not woken up and they walked in on me and my son (both asleep) I hope they would have left right away but I don't know...

Old 09-24-2010, 09:46 AM

879 posts, read 1,946,899 times
no i don't. i live in osprey. i've had stuff stolen from my car twice. i felt safer in NY oh well

Old 09-24-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
When I was pregnant with my second child (30 yrs ago) we lived outside Houston in area north of I-10== around Bear Creek--at that time "nice" subdivision still under construction...I was taking a nap with my 3 yr old and was awakened but still very groggy by heavy knocking at my door--
when I opened it there was tall anglo guy dressed in jeans and shirt--like
Glad to hear you weren't one of their victims. My home in Bonita Springs was broken into once, but I wasn't home. There were no other burglaries in the neighborhood, and I suspected my neighbor's son who was 15 and, unfortunately, had a drug problem.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,696 times
"another option that i was emailed is wasp spray. it shoots 20 feet and there is alot in a can. you can be farther away than the effective range of pepper spray. the other advantage is if you answer the door with that in your hand you dont look like a paranoid fool. the email that i got says that it is very potent at disabling someone.[/quote]"

WOW WASP spray is not more effective than Pepper Spray. You all sound very uninformed. STOP spreading this ridiculous MYTH before someone gets seriously HURT! Police departments worldwide use pepper spray because the inflammatory effects of this agent work on those which cannot feel pain (very important). The inflammatory effects of pepper spray cause eyes to close involuntarily and produce a loss of breath sensation. Pepper spray has been proven effective on deterring and incapacitating aggressive, combative, intoxicated and drug induced individuals for over 20 years.
To date, no human testing has been conducted on WASP spray and it’s a violation of federal law to use in self defense. There are many home defense pepper spray options which will deploy up to 25 feet and unlike WASP sprays, these pepper sprays do not require the user to be as accurate because their spray pattern will cover an entire doorway. Pepper spray is a safe, proven option which is trusted and relied upon by police officers worldwide.

Click link below for more info:
Snopes 25 Urban Legends - Northern Indiana BBB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area