Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,076 times

Advertisements

I want to retire from CT to the Sarasota area. My wife recently passed away so it's just me and visiting family. Ideally I'm looking for an older house in an established quiet area. Problem is I don't know anything about the Sarasota area so would appreciate any advice from people who have lived there a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 08:13 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Sorry to hear about your wife.

Well older established area sounds like maybe Gulf Gate, Whitfield, South Gate, Southside Village. How far do you want to be from the beaches? What kind of things do you like to do-tennis, golfing, boating? What is your price range? Have you ever been to Sarasota? If not, I recommend renting first or coming and taking an extended vacation to scout out areas. So, if you are retiring I'm guessing work or schools aren't an issue-correct?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:22 AM

3 posts, read 5,076 times
Thanks. Sailing is my main interest so being about 30 min from a place to sail would be OK. Schools and work aren't important. I guess your suggestion to take about a week trip is next.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:50 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Well, if you like sailing them Punta Gorda might be a good option for you. Specifically Punta Gorda Isles or Burnt Store Isles. It's a well established area. There are many boaters, it has a quaint downtown. The prices for waterfront are very reasonable right now. You could get a home or condo on sailboat water for in the low high 100's and low 200's. If you just wanted to be on a canal with boat access (not sailboat water), the prices start in the 150's. BigHouse (one of the posters here lives in PGI and can tell you more about it).

Gulf Gate in Sarasota starts at about $120K, South Gate starts at around $90k. This should give you a little idea of what you might be about to get.

North Port has a few established neighborhoods and the homes there are running $30k+. NP is about 25 minutes from the beaches but the boat ramps are about 10 minutes or less.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:18 AM
GPH

94 posts, read 232,500 times
Check out Venice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area