Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 06:29 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
thanks for your input. i drove to demetrios for the gyro today and it was terrible it was that frozen kind, wouldn't you be embarrassed to serve that??

i'm greek & italian. i have family in tarpon springs so i know the area and the food...the potato salad thing is NOT FUNNY. I am really bothered by it. On a very deep & personal level. Seriously. NOT funny.

i just want good take-out within 10 minutes of my house. i'm not driving 1.5 hrs for lunch!! this is all making me very homesick for NY this week.

Demetrios has bad pizza I think. I am greek and italian as well.

I had it awhile back but I still remember it wasn't so good. I like El Greco for greek. Some places North of the river have greek food, but I don't go to them really. When I go out to eat, I look at location first and foremost. If I travel to the city, I am more apt to spend my money than going for the local greek options. Especially in this economy, I don't like to drive right up the street and spend ten bucks and then go right home. I like to eat lunch/dinner somewhere I actually LIKE TO BE while I am out somewhere else so I can catch multiple things to do or more places to go or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operaman View Post
Hey lets get serious. Sausage is what makes the pizza. when making the sauce all you need to know is 2-3 large clove garlic per pizza and some oregano - 2X the oregano you think is appropriate and then double that and you have pizzeria sauce. Does anyone have the definitive sausage recipe. We use to buy it from Jo-Jo's at Archer & Oak Park in Chicago. It had the usual fennel and it had noticeable rosemary. I've been trying to duplicate it deal for 50 years; though, my sausage ain't bad it still ain't Jo-Jo's.

To me now especially that I've gotten older and more health conscious. I like pepper and mushroom or even spinach on pizza. I can do without sausage especially these days. Sausage pizza gets so tiresome to me for some reason and pepperoni, same even moreso.

Speaking of Chicago pizza. Name me one place that has deep dish. I've always wanted to know. The place I heard that comes close to that was some place in Brandon called Mellow Mushroom. Haven't had it but only heard about. Quite pricey though.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:34 PM

41 posts, read 79,858 times
If you like Chicago-style pizza, I would recommend Crusty's Pizza

Crusty's Pizza

It's on the corner of Bee Ridge Road and S. Tamiami, in the same shopping center as Publix and Borders.

I have never had a bad pizza there.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ14 View Post
If you like Chicago-style pizza, I would recommend Crusty's Pizza

Crusty's Pizza

It's on the corner of Bee Ridge Road and S. Tamiami, in the same shopping center as Publix and Borders.

I have never had a bad pizza there.
It looks good. They have free slices of pizza during happy hour? Sounds too good to be true.

They got a thick chicago crust huh? Hows the sauce? I don't like a sweet sauce at all.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:32 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
It looks good. They have free slices of pizza during happy hour? Sounds too good to be true.

They got a thick chicago crust huh? Hows the sauce? I don't like a sweet sauce at all.
It's been quite a few years since I've been in there, but the free happy hour pie was thin crust cheese, but no too bad.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:46 PM

477 posts, read 987,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
howard's huh? that's funny, me and DH make the same joke about Hungry Howie's pizza billboards we see on 41 lol Maybe I'd try Hungry Pasquale's Pizza but Howie??

I will check out the Lazy Greek Cafe next time I head that way but like I said in my other reply, I think I just got homesick for the first time and took it out on food...looking for those comfort foods.

I know alot of people like the potato salad thing. if you knew me you'd know why it's particularly horrific for me lol I just don't eat mayo. I've never eaten potato salad, mac salad, cole slaw - didn't grow up with any of it and always thought it was kind of skeevy (sorry) So, about 7 years ago I'm in Tarpon Springs with some friends from Tampa and eating a greek salad. I'm thinking "WTF is this bland goop under here" i though there was wet bread under there or something. So I pull the thing apart and someone tells me it's potato salad. At which point I was utterly baffled, thought it was a heinous kitchen error and had a baby fit lol and someone tells me "that's how they do it in Greece" which was like the funniest, most ridiculous thing i ever heard lol So, you know - everyone has that thing they skeeve and won't eat. A Kamikaze-Potato-Salad-Under-My-Greek-Salad-Sneak-Attack was enough to make me grumble every time someone mention that particular regional salad styling. lol
You're so funny! I think I would freak about potato salad in my Greek salad, too. And I love a good potato salad...(only homemade, never had a good one elsewhere!) So, we should try the Lazy Greek? I read a good review about that when we first moved here. Maybe it's the one?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:38 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
Default Englewood pizza if your ever there

Joes Pizza on the corner of 776 and 771 in the Publix plaza is the closest thing I have ever had to NY pizza. It's a very tiny place and he gets his products from Roma foods out of Orlando. The dough is hand made and pizza's are hand tossed not run through a dough press. I dont work there as the place is family operated but as a pizza maker i'd jump at the chance, they are awesome people and from New york city and Long Island. The only true Pizza

Old 11-15-2010, 05:43 AM

879 posts, read 1,953,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Joes Pizza on the corner of 776 and 771 in the Publix plaza is the closest thing I have ever had to NY pizza. It's a very tiny place and he gets his products from Roma foods out of Orlando. The dough is hand made and pizza's are hand tossed not run through a dough press. I dont work there as the place is family operated but as a pizza maker i'd jump at the chance, they are awesome people and from New york city and Long Island. The only true Pizza
mmm, i have a friend down there maybe i will make a lunch date!!

Old 11-15-2010, 06:53 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,184 times
OK, we had a large margherita pizza from Rico's last night, and it was better than "just OK," it was downright excellent, better than last time.

Thin, dusted crust. A few nice bubbles. Not too much cheese, but definitely enough. Sauce perfectly seasoned.

This was easily the best pizza we've had since getting here.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:31 AM

477 posts, read 987,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
OK, we had a large margherita pizza from Rico's last night, and it was better than "just OK," it was downright excellent, better than last time.

Thin, dusted crust. A few nice bubbles. Not too much cheese, but definitely enough. Sauce perfectly seasoned.

This was easily the best pizza we've had since getting here.
Rico's is my favorite so far. And if you sign up on their website (or they can do it on the phone) you earn points for free pizza. We have earned a free medium pizza already.

I do have to say, though, being from Ohio I am missing that mid-western thin crust type pizza like Donatos, Massy's, ect. I read somewhere (maybe here?) that Shaner's is good for that type of pizza. I just saw it on the corner of Clark and Beneva by the new YouFit. Maybe I'll run some calories off at the gym, then put them back on at Shaner's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area