Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 AM

325 posts, read 1,023,749 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone Just to let everyone here know I had a bad dealing with a Realtor who rents local properties on Sarasota's Craigslist.

I gave the individual a Thousand dollar deposit to hold the property.
and to have a background check on the individuals website.

I had to backout because my landlord would not allow us too terminate the lease early.

So, I emailed the individual and I was told it was to late (MY THOUSAND DOLLAR CASH DEPOSIT IS GONE)

The individual explained even though I do not have a signed lease or a signed rental agreement, they can take my $$$$$

I have given this individual ample time to return my deposit, though they will not.

DM me and I will give you the info on the Realtor and the company.

I do not want to see someone else taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 10:33 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,078 times
If he she has acted dishonestly report them to their Board of Realtors and their broker

Old 10-19-2010, 10:56 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuild View Post
The individual explained even though I do not have a signed lease or a signed rental agreement, they can take my $$$$$
Uh, what does the document you have with the realtor say? Did you just give them a check for $1,000 without a receipt or any sort of signed document?

Something doesn't sound right here.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:18 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Uh, what does the document you have with the realtor say? Did you just give them a check for $1,000 without a receipt or any sort of signed document?

Something doesn't sound right here.
That's what I was thinking. Why would you be giving the Realtor a $1k deposit if you had no agreement? If you do have an agreement then you should read what the stipulations are before you sign it.

I don't handle rentals but generally the way it works is that you give the person/Realtor a deposit to hold the property off the market so you can rent it. If you can't preform then you lose your deposit. That's why you make sure you can follow through before you give a deposit. I'm assuming it works the same way as a sales contract. You don't preform, you lose you deposit.

Hmmm....Can you explain?

Last edited by SoFLGal; 10-19-2010 at 11:30 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 PM

She gave me a receipt for $1,000.00 Cash and says " deposit to hold" a week and a half before moving in.

AI had to backout, so she still did not have the lease ready or an agreement with me or wife's signature on anything.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
If he she has acted dishonestly report them to their Board of Realtors and their broker
I have thanks.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:55 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuild View Post
Hey, everyone Just to let everyone here know I had a bad dealing with a Realtor who rents local properties on Sarasota's Craigslist.

I gave the individual a Thousand dollar deposit to hold the property.
and to have a background check on the individuals website.

I had to backout because my landlord would not allow us too terminate the lease early.

So, I emailed the individual and I was told it was to late (MY THOUSAND DOLLAR CASH DEPOSIT IS GONE)

I have given this individual ample time to return my deposit, though they will not.

DM me and I will give you the info on the Realtor and the company.

I do not want to see someone else taken.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought your deposit should have been in escrow? OMG...personally, I'd out the realtor!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:23 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
I'm not aware of any situation where a deposit can be taken and not returned without a carefully spelled out agreement that you and the agent or landlord have both signed. Deposit money and advanced rent must be handled in a narrowly defined manner according to the Florida statutes. If the events are as described without omissions, I'd say you should call the broker and, if you don't receive satisfaction, consider contacting an attorney. You may be able to find one who will provide an initial consultation at no charge.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:34 AM

My wife said the same thing (she is a ex-realtor).

Old 10-20-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I'm not aware of any situation where a deposit can be taken and not returned without a carefully spelled out agreement that you and the agent or landlord have both signed. Deposit money and advanced rent must be handled in a narrowly defined manner according to the Florida statutes. If the events are as described without omissions, I'd say you should call the broker and, if you don't receive satisfaction, consider contacting an attorney. You may be able to find one who will provide an initial consultation at no charge.

I have a receipt from one of those carbonless books that can be purchased at Staples, that says " hold security deposit of $1,000.00"

There is no other agreement or signatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area