Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,883 times

Advertisements

Im white,my hubby is black and we have three biracial children. My employer is tranferring me from New Orleans to Sarasota. How are the race relations in the area? Please be honest! If my children are going to have issues I will decline the transfer. Please give me some input including diverse areas or neighborhoods near by. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 03:16 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
One of my best friends has biracial boys 15 & 19 and they seem to be getting along fine. They live by me in North Port. I think, for the most part, the Sarasota area is pretty much a melting pot. I'm sure, like anywhere, you'll get the occasional jackass though.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 9,883 times
Thanks..so how are rentals priced in that area? We must have a 4 bedroom but have no plans of purchasing. We will most likely be there for no more than 2 years.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:05 PM

46 posts, read 91,965 times
Your question is a good one, but at the same time, it is heart-breaking. It is so SAD that you had to ask it in the interest of protecting your family.

We are a "bi-racial" couple (I guess in the eyes of people who are obsessed with skin-color and grouping people by that trait).

We have noticed no obvious bigotry in Sarasota. (She is of Indian descent and I am some kind of Western European mutt that she found at the Pound.)

Most people are happy in Sarasota. In my limited experience, when people are happy, they tend to not display their ugly side as often.

Tallahassee, FL, on the other hand........scary. Do NOT stop in that area on your way down. Horrendous racism on BOTH sides.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:07 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
I don't handle rentals but from what I understand they are running around $900 for a newer home. A four bedroom might run a little more.

Good luck with whatever you chose

Old 10-21-2010, 04:56 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
We also have friends in Sarasota who are a mixed couple. They have 2 pre-teen children & have had no problems at all. I wouldn't worry...

Old 10-21-2010, 06:54 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Yes, as everyone else had said - plenty of bi-racial people here, and I never see any issues. Sarasota is a cosmopolitan melting pot, and a beautiful place to live, and as was said above, the people here are happy. It's pretty "live-and-let-live" here. So come on down!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:36 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,850 times
I think Sarasota is one of the Best places you could live in that situation.

I agree with SRQ's comment that it is sad that you had to ask this. Sad, but unfortunately, a proper thing to ask.

Go for it - you'll love it here!

Old 10-22-2010, 12:10 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
you will be pleased to know that on here people accept you for who you are not what you are.

our best friend is balck and i have told him he would settle in SWFl no problem, people do seem very non judgemental

Old 10-23-2010, 10:10 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ123 View Post
Most people are happy in Sarasota. In my limited experience, when people are happy, they tend to not display their ugly side as often.
I think this is likely the correct answer. I have lived all over the country, in many cities and many towns, and nowhere else have I seen such a general atmosphere of live and let live as I see here.

It's not perfect, but it is a huge improvement over most places I have lived (San Francisco being the only other actually "generally-friendly" city I can think of).

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area