Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 12:31 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times

Advertisements

2 shot dead, 22 wounded at Palmetto club
HERALD STAFF REPORT

PALMETTO -- Two are dead and 22 wounded after a shooting at a Palmetto club early this morning.

The Palmetto Police Department responded to a shooting at Club Elite, 704 10th St. W., at 12:30 a.m.

At least two shooters opened fire on the crowd at the front of the club. One of the victims, 25 year-old Trayon Goff of Palmetto, was found dead outside of the club’s front door. The other person killed, 38 year-old Gwenette Matthews of Bradenton, was found inside the club, according to the Palmetto Police Department.

Read more: 2 shot dead, 22 wounded at Palmetto club - Top Stories - BradentonHerald.com

Old 09-10-2011, 01:55 PM

125 posts, read 194,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieb View Post
I had a question about feeling safe and so I thought I'd put it here instead of make a new thread. I feel very safe where I live and crime is low here. I am in a gated community with security and don't have to drive thru dangerous areas very often. I still want to have something especially late night/early moring , in case somebody decides to rob me. I keep my cell phone next to the bed but even if I called 911 it would be a while till someone would get there. I am contemplating getting a gun but have never used one. The only time I ever hunted in the past was with a bow and that wouldnt work too well against a robber lol. I am also thinking maybe some kind of mace that sprays a distance. I wonder if law enforcement officials would give any kind of information on keeping safe as currently if I had a weapon I would just as likely shoot myself or my dog if I was robbed as I would the crook.
Is mace freely available to buy in Florida? If so where can I obtain it?

Old 09-10-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motersicklebum tim View Post
i rescue dogs and lots of other animals too. pits are the most loyal, loving, protective, faithful and brave dogs on the planet. people hate them because they are everything that they aren't.
Yes, ofcourse they are. That's why they are completely banned in England because they have attacked and in some cases killed children. Not just the odd attack but very many. I love all animals but these poor things should never have been bred.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
You obviously have not read Floridas Castle Doctrine. It gives the legal right to defend yourself in any place that you have a legal right to be.

First you shoot when there is a percieved threat to your life or some one elses, no you cant shoot if there is no threat. I get the impression from you that you feel CCW holders are just itching to shoot someone, I hope that is not the case.

Now for the loser in the store holding up the clerk...yes I can shoot and kill him and it is a clean shoot, the threat does not have to be directed at me.

Next is the guy at the red light with a knife.... well only an idiot brings a knife to a gun fight... first off nobody in Florida has windows down its too hot, second if you are that unaware at a redlight to see a guy approaching your vehicle and you leave the window down you deserve to get stabbed.

The last part of your post validates thats you have no personal experience on this issue. Just because you dont know anyone does not mean it does not happen. I train with a guy that is a self defense instructor. He has trained from the best of the best all across the country. He is living proof that your rhetoric is no more than dribble from inexperience and pre concieved notions. He was attacked by a man that was walking down the street, the man grabbed a piece of scrap metal from the garbage at the end of a driveway and ran at him swinging it. The man made a huge mistake and was shot twice in the chest where he fell 6 feet from his intended victim. I know of others but it would fall on deaf ears so I see no point in going further with it.

You keep bringing up a knife attack, have you ever been involved in one? I doubt it but I have during an attempted carjacking many years ago. Two badguys, 1 with a knife in his hand. My shot was not intended to hit him, it struck in dangerous proximity to his foot. He dropped the knife and urinated in his pants. I have since learned that next time there will be no warning shot, only 2 to the chest and 1 to the head.

That was the worst night of my life and I thank god it ended with nobody getting hurt. If you have practical experience to back your opinions please share them. If not, Ill stick to my life experience as a barometer for what I need to do.
I just loved that post! You're a man after my own heart, just wish we could carry concealed weapons where I live.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:13 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^...^= View Post
Most of the wusses in here that advocate for the right to bear arms would soil their panties befroe they got out their weapon, by then they'd be seriously injured or dead.

A few of the wusses that might be fast enough would probably shoot a innoncent bystander or family member

Watch what you wusses wish for
WOW strong for a first post, or IS it a first post? Name calling at it's finest. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but name calling?

Old 09-11-2011, 07:04 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.emm View Post
Yes, ofcourse they are. That's why they are completely banned in England because they have attacked and in some cases killed children. Not just the odd attack but very many. I love all animals but these poor things should never have been bred.
i agree some pits are very bad. but its not the dogs that should be kept from breeding, in those instances is the owners that should be not allowed to reproduce. we have a pit and it is not aggresive at all. she is a big baby, most of the time. when some one comes up the drive she starts her guard dog routine by barking and sounding mean. then when the person gets out of the car our hardest thing to deal with is her wanting them to pet her. however as nice as she is i would not want to break into the house. there are hundreds of thousands of this breed as pets unfortunately every now and then we hear of a tragedy of an attack. the dirtball owners choose these dogs cause they are so loyal as well as strong, tough and feel no pain. they have a long history of being great family dogs. as well as petey on the little rascals and the famous dog in the rca logo. its only recently with the gangster drug culture that the attacks have taken place.

next time you visit head over to suncoast humane society on san casa and visit the pits. they look mean because of their reputation and the pics in the news. nothing is farther from the truth. total misconception about the breed. now if we want to talk about akitas and chows thats another story.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
i agree some pits are very bad. but its not the dogs that should be kept from breeding, in those instances is the owners that should be not allowed to reproduce. we have a pit and it is not aggresive at all. she is a big baby, most of the time. when some one comes up the drive she starts her guard dog routine by barking and sounding mean. then when the person gets out of the car our hardest thing to deal with is her wanting them to pet her. however as nice as she is i would not want to break into the house. there are hundreds of thousands of this breed as pets unfortunately every now and then we hear of a tragedy of an attack. the dirtball owners choose these dogs cause they are so loyal as well as strong, tough and feel no pain. they have a long history of being great family dogs. as well as petey on the little rascals and the famous dog in the rca logo. its only recently with the gangster drug culture that the attacks have taken place.

next time you visit head over to suncoast humane society on san casa and visit the pits. they look mean because of their reputation and the pics in the news. nothing is farther from the truth. total misconception about the breed. now if we want to talk about akitas and chows thats another story.
I agree with you about the owners but some of these dogs have been family pets and well treated. Then they have just turned on the children and in some cases killed them, they just won't let go once they get their teeth into their victim
It took many many cases for this country to bring out the Dangerous Dogs Act and pit bulls are banned, anyone caught with one is heavily fined and the poor animal humanely destroyed.
I'll try to pay a visit to the Suncoast Humane Society as I've never actually seen a Pitbull.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:33 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
2 shot dead, 22 wounded at Palmetto club
HERALD STAFF REPORT

PALMETTO -- Two are dead and 22 wounded after a shooting at a Palmetto club early this morning.

The Palmetto Police Department responded to a shooting at Club Elite, 704 10th St. W., at 12:30 a.m.

At least two shooters opened fire on the crowd at the front of the club. One of the victims, 25 year-old Trayon Goff of Palmetto, was found dead outside of the club’s front door. The other person killed, 38 year-old Gwenette Matthews of Bradenton, was found inside the club, according to the Palmetto Police Department.

Read more: 2 shot dead, 22 wounded at Palmetto club - Top Stories - BradentonHerald.com

My sympathies to the poor lady's family. It's horrible when grown, mature, working people can't go hang out at a club for an evening without the threat of such senseless violence.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Nobody answered my question. Is is legal to possess Mace Spray in Florida? If so, where do I buy it? After reading about the murders in Pametto I would like a little protection. Not licenced to carry a gun unfortunately.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:07 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.emm View Post
Nobody answered my question. Is is legal to possess Mace Spray in Florida? If so, where do I buy it? After reading about the murders in Pametto I would like a little protection. Not licenced to carry a gun unfortunately.
In short, yes. Here is some info I got by doing a quick online search...

Florida (FL) Pepper Spray Laws and Legal Use

http://www.ehow.com/list_7390002_law...s-florida.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area