Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 PM

153 posts, read 287,911 times

Advertisements

Don't any of you law abiding citizens exercise your right to bear arms? There is no reason to live in fear - as stated.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:28 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,463,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInChicago View Post
Don't any of you law abiding citizens exercise your right to bear arms? There is no reason to live in fear - as stated.

Exactly the reason I feel safe every place I go. I have drawn a fire arm 3 times on an individual, all 3 were in Bradenton...... then I moved. Like Gypsychic stated above, I will never be a victim, if push came to shove and my life were threatened, someone would go home in a bag. Life is too short to be affraid of the unknown and what ifs.... enjoy each day, tomorrow may never come.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:43 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
there's something to be said for avoiding areas where the crime density is higher, no matter how courageous/brave you might be or no matter how much heat you're carrying.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:56 AM

Some of you people sound like the government when you say to avoid certain areas. That's what "they" say about parts of Arizona. I see that as giving in to bullies & punks. This is America and I'm American and if I want to go somewhere, I will and I won't be scared. I think the person that wants to poke me in the back or take my wallet better think twice. Don't you think open carry should be allowed everywhere?

My plans are in place and I should be in Bradenton soon. We are just waiting for the house to sell, but my wife will be there next month. She is going to commute until we sell.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:41 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
2 die in Bradenton shootings - Breaking Newsletter - BradentonHerald.com

Seems like everytime I visit the Bradenton Herald website there's news about a killing. Are these gang or drug related and only in the poor parts of town? I usually visit the Bradenton Beach and other areas but won't if this continues. What's up with the crime spree?
The crime spree is nothing new. I've kept quiet about it because the news speaks for itself. The island is a bit more secluded due to footdraggers not having vehicles however, dealers do deliver to the island as well as every neighborhood in Bradenton & Sarasota. The better areas of town are not immune to crime. Blame it on the economy and lack of jobs in the Bradenton/Sarasota area.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:29 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
can you imagine the crime statistics if concealed carry and gun ownership were not allowed. with the unemployment and drug abuse problems, the stats would be off the chart.

it is comforting to know if things go bump in the night that there is a point and click device to equalize the threat.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:10 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
may give you a false sense of security - doesn't protect against drive-by type shootings that seem prevalent in these kinds of killings

Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 PM

My sidearm doesn't give me a false sense of security, it gives the other guy one. It's everyone's God given right as an American to protect themselves and I plan on doing it.

With me still living on the South Side of Chicago, and having done so most of my life, I doubt that Bradenton is as bad as some of you are trying to project. We have some bad areas and neighborhoods here that "should be avoided" and I would avoid buying a home there or avoid taking my family for supper, but, I do pass through these areas when ever and however I want. I do not alter my movement based on "safety".

With all of this said, it is very frustrating that "we, the people" have to finish raising some people's kids because they didn't do it.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
I have always said Bradenton will become a no go area!

Palmettos worse though all the way around. If anyone thinks different, they don't know how to evaluate.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:44 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Gypsychic, while I too love the beaches of Anna Maria we cannot forget the gang related shootings not all that long ago over a holiday weekend. Those took place on a Bradenton Beach......

I photograph out there all the time and I am safe, but you never know when a gang banger hopped up on meth is gonna try and make it his ghetto.

Bradenton has its bad parts of town, but has some fine real estate as well, does the garbage cross the street into nice parts of town, of course it does. You could get shot anywhere these days, if we worry all the time about it, whats the point of living?

Bradenton does have a fairly large gang unit, hopefully their funding wont continue to be cut and they can retake the streets. Until then, I'll stay in sleepy Venice

While I am not a big fan of Bradenton on the whole, I have to give credit where credit is due. There is much finer real estate and beaches and restaurants in Bradenton than the other city the OP mentioned.. Palmetto and theres appearance of more stores and shopping, but overall.. give me Tampa. My .002. All this offsets the crime in Bradenton, but when you go to Palmetto, thats like an all crime zone with no ammenities or good restaurants to even look at, or go and see other than Wal Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area