Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 04:32 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInChicago View Post
Some of you people sound like the government when you say to avoid certain areas. That's what "they" say about parts of Arizona. I see that as giving in to bullies & punks. This is America and I'm American and if I want to go somewhere, I will and I won't be scared. I think the person that wants to poke me in the back or take my wallet better think twice. Don't you think open carry should be allowed everywhere?

My plans are in place and I should be in Bradenton soon. We are just waiting for the house to sell, but my wife will be there next month. She is going to commute until we sell.

Open carry to me is pointless. IMO it would increase incidents and shootings. If I were a criminal in the act of committing a crime and saw you with a fire arm, you my friend would be the first to get shot.... simple process of elimination. Showing everyone that you have a fire arm on you is dangerous. I would still conceal even if they passed open carry in Florida.

Gypsychic's points are valid, the entire county is not a war zone, some parts are bad but every city has it bad parts of town. Hell, years ago I spent almost 18 months in south Los Angeles, you want to see a war zone. I saw more dead people in cars from shootings there than I ever want to see again. Bradenton is not my favorite place but by no means is it the worse place to be. The point of the discussion about living in fear is a choice we all make, my in laws are from Chicago and the are crippled with fear even after being in Florida for 15 years. They panic when the doorbell rings and say dont answer it, we dont know who is out there.... PLEASE, open that damn door, when out by the pool if they all go in the back door is auomatically locked, even though they are at the table 2 feet away. I refuse to live like that. If it is nice outside my doors and windows are being opened, if someone comes through the screen door, so be it, the 2 of us will come to a resolution quickly!

I agree with most people making Bradenton much worse than it really is, If you live in fear, everything will be horrible and so will every place you go. Go to the Bradenton beaches, if you dont due to fear of crime, you are really missing out on some beautiful gulf scenery.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:40 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,162 times
old man winter - i completely agree with your views on open carry.

looking at the arrest map. bradenton does not appear to be as bad as sarasota. thats where the biggest concentration of red dots are. but then you dont have to be in a bad area for something bad to happen

Old 10-29-2010, 07:47 AM

153 posts, read 287,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Open carry to me is pointless. IMO it would increase incidents and shootings. If I were a criminal in the act of committing a crime and saw you with a fire arm, you my friend would be the first to get shot.... simple process of elimination. Showing everyone that you have a fire arm on you is dangerous. I would still conceal even if they passed open carry in Florida.

Gypsychic's points are valid, the entire county is not a war zone, some parts are bad but every city has it bad parts of town. Hell, years ago I spent almost 18 months in south Los Angeles, you want to see a war zone. I saw more dead people in cars from shootings there than I ever want to see again. Bradenton is not my favorite place but by no means is it the worse place to be. The point of the discussion about living in fear is a choice we all make, my in laws are from Chicago and the are crippled with fear even after being in Florida for 15 years. They panic when the doorbell rings and say dont answer it, we dont know who is out there.... PLEASE, open that damn door, when out by the pool if they all go in the back door is auomatically locked, even though they are at the table 2 feet away. I refuse to live like that. If it is nice outside my doors and windows are being opened, if someone comes through the screen door, so be it, the 2 of us will come to a resolution quickly!

I agree with most people making Bradenton much worse than it really is, If you live in fear, everything will be horrible and so will every place you go. Go to the Bradenton beaches, if you dont due to fear of crime, you are really missing out on some beautiful gulf scenery.
I agree with most of what you're saying. Having been born and raised on Chicago's South Side may have worked for me or against me, haven't figured that out yet. I can tell you though that we have gone years without locking our doors and when the weather is nice, everything is open - even if I'm in the back yard. Hell, the house that I was living in with my parents before I got married was never locked - ever. Nobody even had a key to that house. My theory with this is - getting in will be easy, but getting out will be a different story. You will be rolled out actually.

All of this BS'ing aside though, you really can't live in fear. There are bad parts of town in every town. The "bad" is probably a little different for some people, not everyone is intimidated. If you are aware of your surroundings and are somewhat confident with your persona, you will probably never have any issues. Another belief of mine is that everyone has a number hanging out there and when it's pulled, it's pulled. It won't matter if you're sitting on your porch swing drinking iced tea or running for your life.

I can't wait to get my new Bradenton address!

Old 10-29-2010, 09:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Being cautious and avoiding cities higher in crime isn't the same as living in fear. We have the choice to visit a great number of areas along the Gulf Coast - so why would I choose the area with higher crime rates with a police department that can't seem to handle gangs/drugs? I can easily drive elsewhere and spend my money in other areas that cater to a safer, securer environment.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:46 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Took my concealed weapons permit class in September With DJ Bail Bonds....remember, guns don't kill people, people using guns do.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:53 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInChicago View Post

All of this BS'ing aside though, you really can't live in fear. There are bad parts of town in every town. The "bad" is probably a little different for some people, not everyone is intimidated. If you are aware of your surroundings and are somewhat confident with your persona, you will probably never have any issues. Another belief of mine is that everyone has a number hanging out there and when it's pulled, it's pulled. It won't matter if you're sitting on your porch swing drinking iced tea or running for your life.

I can't wait to get my new Bradenton address!

Exactly. Just how I feel. Every town, large and small, has it's "bad" area. And I agree, how one perceives it can vary.

For me personally, I consider myself somewhat "street-smart", I carry myself confidently, am aware of my surroundings, go about my business purposefully, and mind my own business. I never have any issues, and I go into parts of towns occasionally that most people would not venture near.

To BucFan - you go where you feel comfortable - just remember that NO ONE can give you or anyone else a guarantee that you are 100% safe at all times, even in your "gated" community. Bad stuff can happen anywhere, anytime.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:30 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

To BucFan - you go where you feel comfortable - just remember that NO ONE can give you or anyone else a guarantee that you are 100% safe at all times, even in your "gated" community. Bad stuff can happen anywhere, anytime.
So you don't agree that it is a good habit to avoid high risk, high crime areas as a precaution, especially if you have a choice to do so? From what I read, you disregard the risk and go where you please.

To each his/her own. I guess you can say the same thing about other safe habits.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:02 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,162 times
i agree avoid the high risk areas. however sometimes you cannot. then it pays to use good judgement and take an extra hi cap magazine.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:07 PM

153 posts, read 287,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
So you don't agree that it is a good habit to avoid high risk, high crime areas as a precaution, especially if you have a choice to do so? From what I read, you disregard the risk and go where you please.

To each his/her own. I guess you can say the same thing about other safe habits.
You are right, I don't agree either. If everybody keeps giving in to the little punks who think it's cool to try and scare people, you will soon have nowhere else to go. You better be thankful that there are people here (Me, for one) that won't be bullied or pushed around. Good people need to band together and protect what is ours and if that happened more (along with people actually raising their kids right) we would see less of these "bad" areas.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:47 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,002 times
A touch of irony perhaps. My sleepy Venice comment may need to be stricken from the record. Wed. night here a 16 year old girl leaving the YMCA, which is 4 blocks from our house, was grabbed by a white male estimated to be in his mid 30's. She fortunately got away from him and police did not find the man.

Point being, it can happen anywhere. I am glad this girl got away, not so happy the ***hole is roaming near my home where my wife walks the dog while im at work. I will be teaching her to shoot this weekend at Knights trail. She may not like it but I feel its a necessary evil in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area