Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:53 PM

165 posts, read 588,499 times

Advertisements

I wish I were a snow bird in Sarasota right now!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 PM

51 posts, read 88,275 times
I am very happy to hear all of the positive posts on Sarasota. I just survived the mayhem of travelling to NJ by air in the huge snow storm. My husband stayed home in NJ during the storm and spent his time looking at homes for sale in Sarasota. Enough snow and enough property taxes and congestion. We have stayed in the Sarasota area the last 2 years and like the fact that there is a wide variety of interesting things to do within a short drive. It has a great deal to offer the youthful retiree.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:16 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
Quote:
I just survived the mayhem of travelling to NJ by air in the huge snow storm
my sympathy of having to go to nj, snow storm or not.

everyday we are out of there we are thankful.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:14 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
After taking a trip to my hometown on Long Island a few years back I will never complain about snowbird traffic again.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:38 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
After taking a trip to my hometown on Long Island a few years back I will never complain about snowbird traffic again.
People do not understand hell on the highway until they have tried to drive from the Jersey shore to the Hamptons.

It makes the DC beltway look like an Open Road.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:51 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,078 times
An unbiased opinion from someone who lived full time 12 seasons in Sarasota and left after too many bad snowbird seasons and experiences.
I wanted to live where the community are all year round residents, not part timers who come 12 to 20 weeks a year and expect to be treated in a royal way.
The snowbirds over populated the roads, the beaches and the restaurants. Yes they contributed to the economy making the once attractive town now a sprawling urban mess with ever increasing cookie cutter sub divisions, and malls.
I now live somewhere where we get day/weekend visitors to our downtown and we arrange our life and activities accordingly. On the sub division we live we have about 10% snowbirds. In six months we have made many friends with F/T residents and P/T residents and no longer feel we are in a tarnsit camp.
I tell it as it is before the attack from those smitten with the same bug as I caught 13 years ago. It wore off after about 7 years!.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:24 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Peter, you have your own opinion and that's fine. I've lived here since 1986 and each year I barely notice the influx of snowbirds. Yes, I know and see they are here but my life is not changed because of them and I actually like meeting people from other places, seeing businesses active and busy, that sort of thing. Even my real estate business is only affected in a minor way during season, not at all what you might think. I suppose it depends on your outlook and your specific location. However, I've noticed that you are often negative about the area (I understand your reasons) but I think you should consider that your experience is not everyone's experience and your perceptions are not universally perceived. Just my two cents...

Old 01-01-2011, 06:00 PM

51 posts, read 88,275 times
I have one concern of moving to Florida. Interesting jobs. My husband and I retired but have great part time jobs in NJ. We were not ready for full-time free-time and New Jersey isn't cheap. I retired as a biochemist at Merck and found a part time job as a biochemist with a small biotech in Princeton. My husband was in imports/exports licensing and he also found a part time job in his field in NYC. We might have to settle for less in Florida.

Regarding the oil spill in the gulf. Is the oil static or being moved by currents? Is there any fear that some of it could affect the Sarasota area in the future?

Old 01-01-2011, 07:03 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
no talk of oil.

jobs are essential. life is short. if you can swing it try it. there is no price to put on quality of life. we were jersey. you would be amazed at how fast the week goes.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 AM

879 posts, read 1,952,760 times
well, coming from a busy area in NY the snowbird season here makes things seem "normal" (morelike what i have been used to my whole life) but... doesn't mean i prefer it.

i just returned from a week on Long Island and I didn't like the normal weekend traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area