Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I just got a message from someone saying to "give the lady a break,"
I honestly half expected something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM

477 posts, read 987,408 times
Not offended here. I've learned from this thread. I've never been into a specialty running store and didn't even know about the new technology available.

I should just stick with what I love. My favorite exercises don't require shoes. Yoga, pilates, swimming...But since moving here I have been eating and drinking like I've been on a 5 month vacation! And my yoga isn't cutting it right now. Now I have to go and sweat. Blahhh.....

Old 11-18-2010, 10:30 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
My .02, due to the economic climate, maybe the store should match the lower price found by the consumer, if the business wants the sale....

Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
My .02, due to the economic climate, maybe the store should match the lower price found by the consumer, if the business wants the sale....
The business obviously DOES want the sale, as evidenced by investing in the technology, paying for air conditioning, and paying a staff of professionals. I'm sure you know that the store has much more overhead than the online alternative, right? There is a very good reason things cost less online.

The store can charge however much they like, in my opinion. It costs more there (due to the additional service, technology, advertising, staffing, insurance, and property concerns, of course) because you get more. If this weren't the case, then nobody would ever shop there and they would be out of business entirely.

Maybe we're heading in that direction.

If so, I hesitate to imagine what unemployment numbers will look like then.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:10 PM

164 posts, read 356,150 times
Quote:
The business obviously DOES want the sale, as evidenced by investing in the technology, paying for air conditioning, and paying a staff of professionals. I'm sure you know that the store has much more overhead than the online alternative, right? There is a very good reason things cost less online.

The store can charge however much they like, in my opinion. It costs more there (due to the additional service, technology, advertising, staffing, insurance, and property concerns, of course) because you get more. If this weren't the case, then nobody would ever shop there and they would be out of business entirely.

Very well said. Support local business!

Old 11-18-2010, 03:03 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times
I do agree..I felt bad not buying my shoes there.. I just absolutely couldn't afford their prices. Plus on top of it all, I had gone to quite a few places to find the right shoe to eliminate foot pain and have only been ripped off. I just wasnt ready to shell out that kind of money until I knew the 19 year old selling me the shoe knew what he was talking about...so I went on my own. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion..no harm done. I'll agree its not really right for me to do that but I really did feel their shoes were OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive..

Old 11-18-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:

I respectfully beg to disagree. As a consumer, I can go to the mall & not buy anything...retailers have to pay for their utilities & staff regardless of my purchase or lack thereof. The overhead of the mall is not my responsibility....and yes, as you all very well know, more stores have cut back on everything they can and are still not making it because we consumers aren't able to afford to support our local businesses who charge crazy market on a product we can buy, for instance, online, for less perhaps....sorry but if you haven't noticed, we are smack in the middle of that direction....

You can take that reported 13% unemployment in Sarasota/Bradenton & double it for those who are working off the books and probably add another 15% for those who can no longer collect UEB and have fallen out of the count. This is why our local business are having a hard time; we can't afford to support them.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:12 PM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
Facing the facts, customers don't care how much it costs to run a business today.In this case a specialty retailer, with a trained sales staff and various specialty products. The OP was looking for a "good fitting" That won't happen by shopping online. Specialty retailing is different from mall stores selling generic clothing or other esoteric items.Often times prices are set for the retailer and they have to sell at msrp because of contracts. The cost of buying a pair of shoes online only to discover they don't fit and have to be sent back can easily exceed the specialty price.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:29 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Of course a person can go to the mall and not buy anything. The point of the mall and the retailers who sell there is that they will do more business simply by being there, gaining business from those who are buying something else at the mall or who just go to the mall as if it were a giant magnet.

There is a huge difference between, say, taking your kid to see Santa at the mall and not buying anything (which is what the mall bargains for, and is factored into their marketing and overhead), and the scenario we have been discussing.

I do not share the opinion that we have reached the point where it makes sense to buy everything online. In my opinion, the additional costs for shipping, headache (returning bad items), and eventual fraud are not in line with the convenience and cost factors.

But for those who have decided that online is the way to go, I don't suggest trying to have your cake and eat it too. While buying online is a perfectly legitimate and understandable decision, one should be expected to hazard the potential pitfalls of doing so, and not seek to hedge by disingenuously utilizing struggling brick and mortar businesses' resources.

Regardless, of course I have noticed the situation (and appreciate anyone who is concerned with my egregious oversight [sorry but if you haven't noticed, we are smack in the middle of that direction....]), but it's not quite as cut and dried some would make it.

It's an interesting discussion, especially here.. I think that we, as laypeople, should try to temper some of our commentary as we realize that when it comes to matters of business and economics, we are all just pretty much telling anecdotes.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Of course a person can go to the mall and not buy anything. The point of the mall and the retailers who sell there is that they will do more business simply by being there, gaining business from those who are buying something else at the mall or who just go to the mall as if it were a giant magnet.

There is a huge difference between, say, taking your kid to see Santa at the mall and not buying anything (which is what the mall bargains for, and is factored into their marketing and overhead), and the scenario we have been discussing.

I do not share the opinion that we have reached the point where it makes sense to buy everything online. In my opinion, the additional costs for shipping, headache (returning bad items), and eventual fraud are not in line with the convenience and cost factors.
I wouldn't buy "everything" online either, only what i know fits....where does eventual fraud come into play online; major retailers are constantly firing employees due to theft...

But for those who have decided that online is the way to go, I don't suggest trying to have your cake and eat it too. While buying online is a perfectly legitimate and understandable decision, one should be expected to hazard the potential pitfalls of doing so, and not seek to hedge by disingenuously utilizing struggling brick and mortar businesses' resources.
So it's not right to go into Verizon, "actually" see the phone that's offered free online but costs $49 in the Verizon store?

Regardless, of course I have noticed the situation (and appreciate anyone who is concerned with my egregious oversight [sorry but if you haven't noticed, we are smack in the middle of that direction....]), but it's not quite as cut and dried some would make it.

It's an interesting discussion, especially here.. I think that we, as laypeople, should try to temper some of our commentary as we realize that when it comes to matters of business and economics, we are all just pretty much telling anecdotes.
so what's up with some great anecdotes? My Econ professor at Michigan State, Lash Larrowe, used them all the time....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area