Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 01:57 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times

Advertisements

I am just curious here because I am interested in re exploring EBay. Last time I sold on it or even other times, I thought that Paypal rips its sellers off. Its a reported pattern that Paypal is not safe to sell on since they extort money from their sellers. Great for the buyer, bad for the seller is the common thing being reported or "Seller beware" messages keep surfacing. I am just curious to know about some of the Ebay'ers here and their experiences so I can make the correct decision. Have you ever got money extorted from Paypal or have you had no problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 02:06 PM

547 posts, read 926,307 times
No problems.I like the concept of instant payment, even though there are fees.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 PM

241 posts, read 479,769 times
Check out BONANZA I left Ebay because of all their fees. BONANZA charges you nothing till you sell, no listing fees, 6 free pics, and FVF which varies from $1 to $5 --- the $5 being if you sell something over $1000.
You have your choice of which payment method you want to offer, so you can leave PayPal behind(especially since they just recently extended their extortion capabilities to anyplace that takes them not just EBay.)
Since BONANZA is fairly new, you will have to work a bit harder than at EBay, but the peace of mind and more money in your pocket when you do make a sale is definetely worth it in my opinion.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbl39 View Post
Check out BONANZA I left Ebay because of all their fees. BONANZA charges you nothing till you sell, no listing fees, 6 free pics, and FVF which varies from $1 to $5 --- the $5 being if you sell something over $1000.
You have your choice of which payment method you want to offer, so you can leave PayPal behind(especially since they just recently extended their extortion capabilities to anyplace that takes them not just EBay.)
Since BONANZA is fairly new, you will have to work a bit harder than at EBay, but the peace of mind and more money in your pocket when you do make a sale is definetely worth it in my opinion.

Yea see.. I had a feeling Paypal was no good. The more people use their system, the more they are allowed to abuse it.

How about Amazon? I wonder how they do things.. Bonanza huh? I think theres one called Bonanzle or something. I signed up for them before, but didn't use it much it turns out.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:10 AM

462 posts, read 1,706,836 times
I sell on eBay on occasion and have never had any trouble with eBay, although Paypal does take a big chunk as do eBay these days to sell anything of any value. Craigslist is great if you can sell what you have locally.

I was quite taken back the last time I sold anything. I believe it was an iPhone and an expensive Nikon flash unit and both went for over $200. and paypal held my money hostage for 21 days to "make sure" there wouldn't be any problems with returns or unhappy customers and I have a 100% feedback score so I was furious they would pull a stunt like that. I called them and told them the items (two of them) had already been received on the other end and I wanted my money and they put it in my account right then on the spot. They did say it could happen again so I'm not very interested in working with them if they are going to play games with my money!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:24 AM

241 posts, read 479,769 times
Bonanzle is now called Bonanza. I don't really know about Amazon, heard they take a lot in fees as well and it all depends on what kind of items you sell. I'm happy with Bonanza, because even if I do nothing, and an item sits there for awhile, I don't have to pay anything till it sells and then it is only nominal. I just sold a figurine yesterday for $40 that was listed for quite some time, and I paid $1 to Bonanza and $1.16 to Google Checkout to sell it. Not bad in my opinion.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 AM

879 posts, read 1,952,760 times
the fees for paypal and ebay are worth the massive traffic only ebay can generate for your auction. if you account for the fees, your time and any other overhead and understand the value of your item and how much profit you expect then you can decide if the venue is for you.

why don't you list a similar item on the different sites then watch the hit count. You can see how much traffic each auction brings on the different sites then weigh that against the fees each charges. If you sell on other sites how will you take payment? credit cards? Paypal is by far the easiest solution.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:23 PM

53 posts, read 124,230 times
I tried E-bay again myself for a while and although in the past I've had issues with Paypal and yes I agree all of their fees are too high, they weren't so bad this past time, but they do seem to back the buyer more than sellers. I had some bad experiences with recent sellers complaining about shipping and wanting all their money back, including shipping....I'm done with it, too much of a headache! I'm considering trying Etsy though, which is more handmade, crafty things, but I've seen some antiques and other items on there too. Haven't checked out fees yet, but I know a few folks selling on there and they are happy so far. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbl39 View Post
Bonanzle is now called Bonanza. I don't really know about Amazon, heard they take a lot in fees as well and it all depends on what kind of items you sell. I'm happy with Bonanza, because even if I do nothing, and an item sits there for awhile, I don't have to pay anything till it sells and then it is only nominal. I just sold a figurine yesterday for $40 that was listed for quite some time, and I paid $1 to Bonanza and $1.16 to Google Checkout to sell it. Not bad in my opinion.

I'd still try bonanza and if I get too desperate and can't sell, when off to Paypal I go (maybe). But this still should be better than craigslist since I cant sell **** there like t shirts. I got plenty too and I might buy more to sell for more too depending.

Cheap fees here though so thats good. I like the no pay option and then if you sell, you pay.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:52 PM

879 posts, read 1,952,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijolee View Post
I tried E-bay again myself for a while and although in the past I've had issues with Paypal and yes I agree all of their fees are too high, they weren't so bad this past time, but they do seem to back the buyer more than sellers. I had some bad experiences with recent sellers complaining about shipping and wanting all their money back, including shipping....I'm done with it, too much of a headache! I'm considering trying Etsy though, which is more handmade, crafty things, but I've seen some antiques and other items on there too. Haven't checked out fees yet, but I know a few folks selling on there and they are happy so far. Good luck!

etsy is great, i sell there too. it's really for artists and crafters, i think DR is selling tshirts. I take Paypal payments through Etsy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area