Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 08:46 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,330,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
Why does it matter to you if someone wants to post a different opinion than yours?
I would respectfully submit to you that the reason your posts are often rebutted is that they are overwhelmingly negative, and that people are actually defending the area in general against what they perceive as an unnecessarily negative perspective. It appears that you feel there is a somehow false positive bent to many of the posts here, and that it is the product of a cabal of disingenuous posters who are out to somehow manipulate people.

Those you accuse are likely to try to defend themselves.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Goodness, I didn't take your post with any bad intent or ill will at all. And when I said argue...well I'm Jewish so a good hearty argument is like a warm hug from a friend. My family is to arguing, what the Barrymore's are to acting.
Well, I was raised Catholic, so my family is to unnecessary guilt what Michael Bay is to bad movie-making.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:13 AM

481 posts, read 939,632 times
Now now, The Rock wasn't THAT bad. Atleast there were no animal crackers.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:33 AM

37 posts, read 67,689 times
I pulled the following quote from Retiredcoach’s well written post in the “positive thread” so I could comment on it while still abiding to Franks wishes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post

“…I would suspect that probably those that complain most about perceived negativism are individuals with their own agendas.... those who are able to utilize the forums to generate business, sell a home, or procure potential clients through private messaging. Of course, they do not want realism before image. They still want to make money on the lone perception that Florida is a tropical paradise where "dreams are realized". They will complain to you if their ruse is somehow exposed.... they want censorship when opinions are unlike their own. No, I do not envy nor stand in judgment, for what you are trying to do…”

Coach

The concerns Retiredcoach has about the Sarasota forum are all true as far as I’m concerned. For certain members here, it's all about selling an image to the Northerners. If they can sell the image, they can sell their properties. The whole City Data meet up thing is a good example. It sounds like there’s a big group of people here just waiting to welcome new residents, right? Well, if you go back and look at the turnout to past meet ups, the weak attendance isn’t very impressive IMO.

I think most people realize that the selling of an image is something to be expected when one is dealing with a real estate agent. It’s just that while I do think the agents are all identifying themselves here, there are also some “wolves in sheep’s clothing” that also use the forum to “sell” the SWF area so that they can sell the properties they have on the market.

To be very clear – I’m not accusing anybody of selling properties to other members here. I’m talking about the “selling” of an image or a dream to people who are unhappy up North.

Why do I feel compelled to do so? Well SoFLGal stated her theories, but the truth is that I “fell” for the dream once too. If I can help others make a decision by exposing some of the hype, I will.

Quote:
My girlfriend and I went used car shopping last Sunday. Like many others we went on Sunday to avoid any salesmen so that we could see what’s out there without listening to a sales pitch.

We found two different cars that we liked, but there was a big difference in cost. We were debating the pros and cons when another shopper (a gentleman there with his wife and kid) interrupted to tell us that they had the same model as the higher priced car. The two of them had nothing but really good things to say about the car and that helped us make up our minds. I returned first thing Monday morning and bought the car. As I was walking out of the dealership, I spotted the same gentleman from Sunday in a back office sitting behind a desk. He worked there! How do you think I felt?

True story? Well no. Any similarities to this forum? Yes, I think so.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I would respectfully submit to you that the reason your posts are often rebutted is that they are overwhelmingly negative, and that people are actually defending the area in general against what they perceive as an unnecessarily negative perspective. It appears that you feel there is a somehow false positive bent to many of the posts here, and that it is the product of a cabal of disingenuous posters who are out to somehow manipulate people.

Those you accuse are likely to try to defend themselves.
Thank you for the reply. Like all of your posts it is intelligently written and polite. I don’t feel that you’re trying to sell anything here when I read them.

My impression of you is that you would just like a friendly place to chat about your new home town. Unfortunately for you, City Data is primarily a relocation forum and there are always going to be debates.

After you spend some more time here you might began to come to some different conclusions.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:01 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,632,815 times
You wouldn't want to make Florida your home if you don't like sunshine, wearing shorts, green vegetation, flowering plants, the ability to do outdoor activities the majority of the year, seeing dolphins in their natural habitat, warm weather, palm trees, and access to beaches.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. Like all of your posts it is intelligently written and polite. I don’t feel that you’re trying to sell anything here when I read them.

My impression of you is that you would just like a friendly place to chat about your new home town. Unfortunately for you, City Data is primarily a relocation forum and there are always going to be debates.

After you spend some more time here you might began to come to some different conclusions.
I appreciate the generous comments.

For the record, I am now approaching my sixth year of living in SWF, the first four spent in Tampa and St. Petersburg. I am not the neophyte you are portraying.

You've said it yourself--you moved here and are generally unhappy here. You feel you were duped into it somehow. This is reflected by the general tenor of your commentary.

As far as this goes, I can only tell you that the one piece of advice I have seen here, more than ANY other as regards relocation, is to SPEND AS MUCH TIME HERE AS POSSIBLE BEFORE MOVING AND TO RENT PRIOR TO BUYING.

Now, why on earth would a secret society of nefarious agents give such advice, if their goal is to sell real estate?

And if this board is essentially nothing more than marketing for the area, why do I continue to see so much about Chinese drywall, the unbearable heat, the ignorant rednecks, and the horrible snowbirds? Clearly someone has been asleep at the wheel, censorship-wise.

I'm not trying to be snide. I just think that while there is assuredly an element of rah rah ziss boom bah to this board (the reason for which is that those who love it here REALLY LOVE it here), I must say that as a rational and objective person (and naturally skeptical, I might add), I see nothing here to sustain the notion that any of it is disingenuous.

I simply see a bit of polarization, which--now that I am thinking of it--would be perfectly natural for such a place.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
For the record, I am now approaching my sixth year of living in SWF, the first four spent in Tampa and St. Petersburg. I am not the neophyte you are portraying.
I knew this already. I meant relatively new to this forum. I wasn't very clear.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:27 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,029,583 times
Quote:
I appreciate the generous comments.

You've said it yourself--you moved here and are generally unhappy here. You feel you were duped into it somehow. This is reflected by the general tenor of your commentary.

As far as this goes, I can only tell you that the one piece of advice I have seen here, more than ANY other as regards relocation, is to SPEND AS MUCH TIME HERE AS POSSIBLE BEFORE MOVING AND TO RENT PRIOR TO BUYING.

Now, why on earth would a secret society of nefarious agents give such advice, if their goal is to sell real estate?

And if this board is essentially nothing more than marketing for the area, why do I continue to see so much about Chinese drywall, the unbearable heat, the ignorant rednecks, and the horrible snowbirds? Clearly someone has been asleep at the wheel, censorship-wise.

I'm not trying to be snide. I just think that while there is assuredly an element of rah rah ziss boom bah to this board (the reason for which is that those who love it here REALLY LOVE it here), I must say that as a rational and objective person (and naturally skeptical, I might add), I see nothing here to sustain the notion that any of it is disingenuous.

I simply see a bit of polarization, which--now that I am thinking of it--would be perfectly natural for such a place.

Rush,
I have said all of this before to Jim/Tommy, and he doesn't listen to any of it. (Although, I must add, you are much more eloquent than I am in the way you say it).

I have time and again, warned people to rent or visit for a while before jumping in and buying. I spent a year (a couple weeks a month) down here before deciding to buy. I've recommended that people get a job first before coming here - the job market is bad. And, I've talked about bugs, snakes, critters, and even getting crapped on by a manatee. LOL But, once things get squared away and one finds this is where they want to be - it ROCKS! I'm not the only one that says it - although I am the best looking Florida Proponent , and enjoy having fun here. Sorry - had to throw that out there - (trying to be funny). Anyway, once you get squared away, and into Florida life - it really is great, and you can get out of the nasty, freezing, depressing, grey, icy areas where there are also no jobs, and the housing market sucks.

I must add, that I came down here and have helped invest and turn things around the best I could - AFTER - all the damage was already done, and long after NPJim/Tommy/and others who complain here, and that have made the poor choices that they apparently made themselves - without my "RAH RAh -Florida is a wonderful place to live discussion".

Again - Great Post!

Last edited by Big House; 11-27-2010 at 08:42 AM..

Old 11-27-2010, 09:00 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,029,583 times
Quote:
I pulled the following quote from Retiredcoach’s well written post in the “positive thread” so I could comment on it while still abiding to Franks wishes:

The concerns Retiredcoach has about the Sarasota forum are all true as far as I’m concerned. For certain members here, it's all about selling an image to the Northerners. If they can sell the image, they can sell their properties. The whole City Data meet up thing is a good example. It sounds like there’s a big group of people here just waiting to welcome new residents, right? Well, if you go back and look at the turnout to past meet ups, the weak attendance isn’t very impressive IMO.

I think most people realize that the selling of an image is something to be expected when one is dealing with a real estate agent. It’s just that while I do think the agents are all identifying themselves here, there are also some “wolves in sheep’s clothing” that also use the forum to “sell” the SWF area so that they can sell the properties they have on the market.

To be very clear – I’m not accusing anybody of selling properties to other members here. I’m talking about the “selling” of an image or a dream to people who are unhappy up North.

Why do I feel compelled to do so? Well SoFLGal stated her theories, but the truth is that I “fell” for the dream once too. If I can help others make a decision by exposing some of the hype, I will.

At least you spelled "North" correctly!
The fact is, everyone is welcome to attend the meet-ups, and all of the people who have attended have already made a decision to buy down here. I don't think anyone who has attended any of them has bought anything from SoFLGal (except me).
The purpose of the meet-ups is to meet and make friends, and realize that the people that we speak to here are real, you can look them in face, and shake thier hand! (of course) those that want to maintain hidden identity won't have to attend - that is their choice. But everyone is welcome to attend.
No one works for the state, or is trying to push the "Image of Florida", we just want to make friends and have some fun. Many of us have become friends, and NP has no idea what he is talking about because he as never attended - he is just trying to trash somethings that he doesn't like - as usual.
People here who enjoy Florida, and want to share fun experiences, restaurant choices, help make recommendations to others who want to come here are free to do so - that is what is great about this forum. I love it here, and I like to help others that want to make a similar choice. Those that don't like it here, should talk about where they'd rather be and why - that might be a good discussion - don'tcha think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area