Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 11:19 PM

879 posts, read 1,946,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Good post, Frank! It's funny we have a pretty close community here as well. Our neighborhood is mostly new homes, 2000 or newer. Mostly younger and not gate. So, almost exactly opposite as what your neighborhood make up is.

We have neighbors bringing gifts over for our kids on their birthday, Christmas, etc. We have BBQ's, campfires, Halloween parties and other get-togethers. We're always watching someone's home while they are on vacation. We take care of peoples pets when they leave town and they take care of ours. My husband walks the dogs every evening with the neighborhood lady's. LOL.

I'm not really sure what else they would do up north that we don't do in our neighborhood. Maybe I don't get out of my tank enough. Hmmm....
I have had a number of people say "if you are looking for that kind of community you have to move to northport but... you really don't want to live in northport" it's seems like you have to make a compromise/sacrifice in one area or another.

I have only been to Northport once, near the mineral springs and that area was definitely not for me but i imagine northport is a large and diverse town.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:40 AM

37 posts, read 67,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
I have had a number of people say "if you are looking for that kind of community you have to move to northport but... you really don't want to live in northport" it's seems like you have to make a compromise/sacrifice in one area or another.

I have only been to Northport once, near the mineral springs and that area was definitely not for me but i imagine northport is a large and diverse town.
I was checking out the Hawaii City Data forums yesterday and found negative comments about North Port, Florida, LOL.

I think it’s hard for readers to get unbiased info on North Port in this forum.

The OP of this thread states “I thought I'd start a new thread where everyone can discuss concerns about moving to Florida.” Well my concern is whether or not people can make intelligent choices using information gathered here, when personal financial agendas are disguised as helpful advice.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:12 AM

879 posts, read 1,946,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
I was checking out the Hawaii City Data forums yesterday and found negative comments about North Port, Florida, LOL.

I think it’s hard for readers to get unbiased info on North Port in this forum.

The OP of this thread states “I thought I'd start a new thread where everyone can discuss concerns about moving to Florida.” Well my concern is whether or not people can make intelligent choices using information gathered here, when personal financial agendas are disguised as helpful advice.
my comment was not in reference to anything that was said on the forum but from talking to the parents I meet here. I don't think there were any personal financial agendas involved and I've heard the same comments from multiple people.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:15 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,333,939 times
Default Tell me why I wouldn't want to move to Florida...

DUH! 'Cause it's in Floriduh!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 AM

37 posts, read 67,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
my comment was not in reference to anything that was said on the forum but from talking to the parents I meet here. I don't think there were any personal financial agendas involved and I've heard the same comments from multiple people.
There are a few members here who don’t live in North Port but do have property for sale in the area. In the past they have been very quick to promote the area whenever they could. That’s all I’m trying to point out.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,330,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
There are a few members here who don’t live in North Port but do have property for sale in the area. In the past they have been very quick to promote the area whenever they could. That’s all I’m trying to point out.
There is no way in the world you have not gotten this point across. So much so, in fact, it seems like you entire mission here, quite frankly.

Truly, without your posts, I have still gotten a generally negative image of Northport in general here. I mean, I keep hearing you yelling from the rooftops how the negatives are never being heard, yet for some reason or another, even prior to hearing from you, I had already gotten generally negative perspectives on Northport, Punta Gorda, and Bradenton, among others.

Here, let me show you how objective I am:

This is my first full year here in Sarasota in particular, and I have noticed that the seasonal residents are FAR more annoying here than in Tampa/St. Pete, and that the reason I find them so annoying is that they are downright RUDE in many cases. My wife had a little encounter with a returning snowbird yesterday morning, as she was walking the dog.

Diana: "Good morning, sir!"

Thick NY accent: "Don't you let that dawg pee in my yawd! I'm serious! Keep it away from my yard!"

All I could say was that it was a good thing it wasn't me walking the dawg, because we would have an enemy for a neighbor right now.

OK, there's my negative input.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 AM

17,466 posts, read 38,882,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post

Here, let me show you how objective I am:

This is my first full year here in Sarasota in particular, and I have noticed that the seasonal residents are FAR more annoying here than in Tampa/St. Pete, and that the reason I find them so annoying is that they are downright RUDE in many cases. My wife had a little encounter with a returning snowbird yesterday morning, as she was walking the dog.

Diana: "Good morning, sir!"

Thick NY accent: "Don't you let that dawg pee in my yawd! I'm serious! Keep it away from my yard!"

All I could say was that it was a good thing it wasn't me walking the dawg, because we would have an enemy for a neighbor right now.

OK, there's my negative input.
Sadly, I have to agree with you on this. Many seasonal residents are back, and are now shopping at the places I like to go - I can NOT believe the rudeness of some of these people! Not saying they are all like that, but I have certainly encountered a large number of them. At least I don't have them for neighbors!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,665,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sadly, I have to agree with you on this. Many seasonal residents are back, and are now shopping at the places I like to go - I can NOT believe the rudeness of some of these people! Not saying they are all like that, but I have certainly encountered a large number of them. At least I don't have them for neighbors!
Ditto that... I find our routine changes once these people arrive. We don't go out to eat as much & I quit going to some of my favorite shopping spots until after Easter. It's just not worth the hassle & dealing with rude people...well, it just puts me in a bad mood!

Funny how the dynamic of the area changes depending on the month/season....

Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 AM

477 posts, read 984,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I wonder why that is? It appears that MANY of the snow birds come from Ohio and I didn't find most people to be rude while living in Ohio. But when they come down here they think they own the place? You would think they would be on cloud 9 being able to escape the arctic tundra in exchange for sunshine. Like me!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:27 AM

913 posts, read 2,353,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
I wonder why that is? It appears that MANY of the snow birds come from Ohio and I didn't find most people to be rude while living in Ohio. But when they come down here they think they own the place? You would think they would be on cloud 9 being able to escape the arctic tundra in exchange for sunshine. Like me!
In fairness, it does not sound like from Rushmore's post his encounter was with some one from Ohio. If you are a part time resident, I guess you just bring your baggage (grumpyness) with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area