Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:43 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I probably shouldn't be answering this thread because we're headed back to the beautiful northern tundra after 6 years of Florida life. I want to say, however, snakes, bugs, mosquitoes, alligators.. none of these were a concern. If you get sprayed quarterly then you'll see only dead bugs, and we only saw an occasional black racer snake, and any alligators seen were in their natural habitat. They don't exactly walk onto your patio. My complaint about Florida is the people. I know... you'll say, "People are from everywhere, how can you complain about the people," but maybe that's the problem. There's no sense of community, no let's all pull togetherness, there are either ice cold gated communities (in which I live) or the "Praise Be The Lord" cracker neighborhoods. Sex offenders are in every state, we haven't had a hurricane in Vero Beach in six years and before that I think it was 46 years! You can't walk into a house with Chinese drywall and not know it, the sulfur stink will knock you out, so I don't think this is a surprise either. For me, it's the people. You'll get cold calls where someone will want to talk bible at you, some people are outwardly racist and you'll hear comments you haven't heard since the 70s up north. The weather for half the year is heavenly and for the other half of the hear it's smarmy and you can smell everyone's deodorant failing and the last thing you'll want to do is shake anyone's hand. There's good and bad here but if you like people and you expect the same relationships you had somewhere else then don't come here.
Actually, Vero & Ken, I've heard that before. I don't really have much to compare things to since I've only lived in FL. I've traveled to other areas but I've only lived here. I wonder if it's because of the transient nature of the state (with all the snowbirds). One of the posters on here LewLew gave that as her reason for moving back to Ohio.

I've never had an issue with it though.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:51 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Since my other thread keeps getting run off topic I thought I'd start a new thread where everyone can discuss concerns about moving to Florida.....

Brevity snipped.

You left out sinkholes and surg-areas. Ins is quite high in those areas I was told. Not to mention it can be dangerous. For us retired people - the number of Drs not taking new Medicare patients and the long waits in Dr's offices that do take them. Older affordable homes that lack adequate insulation. A/C costs can really be high in such homes.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I probably shouldn't be answering this thread because we're headed back to the beautiful northern tundra after 6 years of Florida life. I want to say, however, snakes, bugs, mosquitoes, alligators.. none of these were a concern. If you get sprayed quarterly then you'll see only dead bugs, and we only saw an occasional black racer snake, and any alligators seen were in their natural habitat. They don't exactly walk onto your patio. My complaint about Florida is the people. I know... you'll say, "People are from everywhere, how can you complain about the people," but maybe that's the problem. There's no sense of community, no let's all pull togetherness, there are either ice cold gated communities (in which I live) or the "Praise Be The Lord" cracker neighborhoods. Sex offenders are in every state, we haven't had a hurricane in Vero Beach in six years and before that I think it was 46 years! You can't walk into a house with Chinese drywall and not know it, the sulfur stink will knock you out, so I don't think this is a surprise either. For me, it's the people. You'll get cold calls where someone will want to talk bible at you, some people are outwardly racist and you'll hear comments you haven't heard since the 70s up north. The weather for half the year is heavenly and for the other half of the hear it's smarmy and you can smell everyone's deodorant failing and the last thing you'll want to do is shake anyone's hand. There's good and bad here but if you like people and you expect the same relationships you had somewhere else then don't come here.
Since my husband and I have been talking about moving to FL or possibly snow-birding.... we're hearing similar complaints from those who moved there, then back where they came from. Main complaints are the summer heat/humidity, lack of Dr's taking Medicare, and like what you posted - no sense of community even after living there for years. Difficulty making close friends was another problem many ran into. The cost of living there also came up a few times. FL isn't the "less expensive" place it once was, say when my parents retired. And everyone mentioned the snow-bird invasion and the traffic and crowding it causes every winter.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:09 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times
Quote:
For me, it's the people. You'll get cold calls where someone will want to talk bible at you, some people are outwardly racist and you'll hear comments you haven't heard since the 70s up north.
I only live in Sarasota for about 3-4 months a year, but I have never found it to be racist. In fact. I find more racists in Ohio (where I live the other months) than Sarasota. I have interviewed for jobs in some of the interior counties in Florida and have found a bit of racism there. Which is why I would not live there. I also found much more racism in Pinellas County than Sarasota County.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:11 AM

37 posts, read 68,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Looks like another worthy and great post to ignore! Looks like you miss her discussions and now you are taunting to try to get some more. Sooooo obvious, a two year old could do it!
I found you’re posts in two different threads discussing the 50% rule. I’m sorry, but you don’t seem to understand it.
It’s too bad that people can’t post facts (with links) on the Sarasota Board without being attacked by the regulars.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:12 AM

879 posts, read 1,953,577 times
Quote:

i agree about wanting to feel like we are part of a community. we've been here less than 4 months and this is our major problem with the area. we were hoping it was just our ghost town of an area in Osprey but it doesn't seem to be the case. Right now it's a major concern and tempting us to head back to NY. I was thinking we haven't been here long enough but maybe it's just the way it is here.

as far as the other stuff, yeah - i was shocked by some crazy backwards racist comments. I was so confused, the person couldn't actually be saying what it seemed like they were saying. It only happened once and i guess there are kooks everywhere but I that was an eye opener. I haven't run into the bibley folks yet but it seems to be a pretty forward thinking population here surrounding/attending Pine View. I see enough Darwin Evolution Fish and Slying Spaghetti Monster stickers on cars in the school pick up loop to give me that opinion anyway! lol

Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
i agree about wanting to feel like we are part of a community. we've been here less than 4 months and this is our major problem with the area. we were hoping it was just our ghost town of an area in Osprey but it doesn't seem to be the case. Right now it's a major concern and tempting us to head back to NY. I was thinking we haven't been here long enough but maybe it's just the way it is here.
I can't understand why people move to FL and then keep to themselves. Are they all introverts? I know we would not be happy in an area where there is no sense of community and where everyone kept to themselves. Unfortunately I hear it time and again from those who moved back to TN and NY. BTW, the gated communities we saw in the Ocala area looked like ghost towns the week after Thanksgiving last year. How dead are they in the summer months? Does everyone stay indoors and watch TV? The one my SIL lives in was DEAD. Silent. Nothing. Not even a bird was chirping. The only other human we saw as we walked around the community was one man walking a dog. He did not say hello or even acknowledge us.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:54 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
The biggest turn-off for me, as a native, is a couple of things. I like some parts of FL and really dislike some parts. The biggest for me is the people it attracts. Sex offenders, cranky people, people who dont speak English, etc. The oppressive heat and humidity. You're looking at 120 days of 90 degrees with 90% humidity each yr.

Crime - seems pretty high in many areas.

Sex offenders - I think the most on the US, but it could be due to our stricter laws.

Flat - hardly any hills to speak of. Just makes it kind of boring.

Holidays - dont always seem like "the Holidays" in FL. 82 degrees in S FL on Christmas isnt exactly ideal.

Drivers - terrible. Worst in the nation other than probably NY/NJ. <---I wonder why FL has so many bad drivers?

Anyway, I'm just throwing some things out there...

Old 11-20-2010, 06:59 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Actually, Vero & Ken, I've heard that before. I don't really have much to compare things to since I've only lived in FL. I've traveled to other areas but I've only lived here. I wonder if it's because of the transient nature of the state (with all the snowbirds). One of the posters on here LewLew gave that as her reason for moving back to Ohio.

I've never had an issue with it though.
I also agree with the points they made & it's one of the reasons that pulls us to move back up north too. We've been here 3 years & have adjusted to most everything FL brings (good & bad). If I had to choose anywhere in the state to live, Sarasota would be (& is) it! It's a great little city. However, I do think the transient nature makes it's harder to "put down roots & have that community feeling". I think that's what makes me so homesick from time to time. We have met great people through my childrens school so that helps but.....it's hard to make close friends because of people moving in & out so frequently. It's hard on my older son because he's made 2 "best friends" at school only to have them both move away in 2 years.

Wanted to add- driving?! ugh.... I spend 2 hours of drive time on 41 daily & there are times I wish I was back up north driving on snow & ice

Last edited by PixiStix; 11-20-2010 at 07:12 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 07:08 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
I think maybe the 'no sense of community' thing has a lot to do with secrets and paranoia. A lot of people make their money elsewhere then they move to FL and they lie about their background. It's not unusual for real estate to get recorded in the wife's name or as a trust. The buyers of our house have no jobs, they're hardly retirement age, yet they are flush. Sometimes I think everyone is so busy guarding their secrets that they can't allow anyone to get too close. You'll hear comments like, "I made my money dealing in real estate, or I'm an entrepreneur." If you made your money the old fashioned way, working, it's hard to fathom. Maybe it's just the neighborhood we chose but there are a lot of secrets here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area