Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 11:03 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times

Advertisements

Been out all morning and just got back in but it looks like this thread has at least got people talking and discussing issues, civilly.

Kitty (I think that's what the symbol is), as far as I know sinkholes haven't been much of an issue in SW FL. It's more of an issue up in the Spring Hill area. I think the Medicare question is certainly valid and I was not aware that there were many Dr's who didn't take Medicare here. Maybe someone else can jump in and answer this question. A/C costs and insurance can both be high on older homes. Here are some ideas. You can set your thermostat a bit higher when you're not home. I keep mine at 80 year round and it's pretty comfortable, at least for me. Add energy efficient insulation to your attic. Caulk over the cracks in the windows. Use compact florescent bulbs instead of candescent bulbs. Also setting your water heater a little lower can be a savings.

Davery and jnanner on the racist issue, I just don't see it. Like I've said before, I'm sure there's the occasional racist but I think as a whole, very little in the area. Hey, jnanner have you seen my car in the loop??

jnanner you seem really outgoing and friendly on here, I would think it would be very easy for you and your family to make friends. Have you tried going the PTA at PV? or do you have any hobbies that you could join a local group?

We live in North Port and where we live it's not gated. My husband walks the dogs every morning and evening and I think he knows everyone in our entire neighborhood. There's a huge dog walking group here. He talks to everyone though and always waves. Our little one has several kids that she plays with in the neighborhood as well. For the older girls we usually end up driving to Osprey or Sarasota for activities and people. I've lived here so long I guess I just know people because of the length of time I've lived here. Many are the mom's of my kids friends, some are childhood friends, some are neighbors.

ComSense, I also hear the "84 degrees at Christmas just doesn't cut it" thing a lot. Well, if you're a native then you know that's pretty accurate most years. Not much you can do about that. My husband really misses the mountains and hills as well (he's from NY). We go back and visit when we can but it's usually in the summertime because has had enough snow in his lifetime.

PixStix that would be kind of rough for a kid. It's interesting how many of the kids, even in the lower grades aren't from FL. The only thing I can say to that is that it seems like I have a lot of very good friends in other states. Friends move away and new ones come in. It's hard though for a kid and most adults to grasp that concept.

Tri-that's actually an interesting observation. Hmmm....

And Gypsy has great comments, as usual.

North Port Jim- If you think BH doesn't understand the 50% rule, maybe you're right. Why don't you take to time to explain it to him and everyone here. I think it's something that needs to be understood and explained. Don't be shy, post away.

Big House--I think I'm going to have to send you to you're room...

Mzfroggez--I'm not sure I quite understand-pinhole plumbing? There can be issues with plumbing in some of the older homes where they used metal piping. It should definitely be checked out upon inspection. Many of the newer homes now use PVC piping. Have fun with your alligator counting next time you're in town

Mayberry-Nope, I don't have the answers to all the questions. Maybe half but not all. Glad you enjoy some aspects of FL. I've heard Washington is beautiful but I've never been there.

Photoman I'm glad you did you're homework and you're happy here. Maybe we can have another meet up and get some of these people out and about

Picshooter, great attitude!

KenE, very true.

And Beachy! Gotta love ya and your positive attitude! Maybe you could be the "events director" for the board.

Thanks to everyone for such great comments so far!

Old 11-20-2010, 11:26 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Davery and jnanner on the racist issue, I just don't see it. Like I've said before, I'm sure there's the occasional racist but I think as a whole, very little in the area.

Come to my house. My neighbors have just added 3 large confederate flags to their "white trash lives here" display. This in addition to the nasty comment about Haitians lettered on the back of his truck (added a week after the earthquake), nice when you live a block from a Haitian church. I listed last month and I begged and pleaded with them to remove the largest of the flags, which was planted square in the center of the rusted out hulk of a lawn tractor that has been sitting where it died for so long that it has sunk past its axles.

I have lived here for almost a year and these neighbors are the only ones I have met. I am outgoing and will talk to pretty much anybody.

There is a community center a block down my street. There is never anyone there. In the year I have been in this neighborhood I have seen something going on over there a whopping 3 times, although occasionally some kids will play basketball on the court. Otherwise the place is desolate and the building is locked up.

I have to say, as far as meeting people and community Florida is quite lacking.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Come to my house. My neighbors have just added 3 large confederate flags to their "white trash lives here" display. This in addition to the nasty comment about Haitians lettered on the back of his truck (added a week after the earthquake), nice when you live a block from a Haitian church. I listed last month and I begged and pleaded with them to remove the largest of the flags, which was planted square in the center of the rusted out hulk of a lawn tractor that has been sitting where it died for so long that it has sunk past its axles.

I have lived here for almost a year and these neighbors are the only ones I have met. I am outgoing and will talk to pretty much anybody.

There is a community center a block down my street. There is never anyone there. In the year I have been in this neighborhood I have seen something going on over there a whopping 3 times, although occasionally some kids will play basketball on the court. Otherwise the place is desolate and the building is locked up.

Holy smokes! That's just awful!

I had an investor a few years back that was trying to sell a home and nobody wanted to buy the home because the home across the street was bright yellow and blue. He actually paid to have their house painted. Not that I suggest anything like that but it just reminded be of a situation that you have virtually no control over.

I just can't see how people can be so cruel to write and do things like that. I guess it takes all kinds

Old 11-20-2010, 11:43 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
I think a huge part of how you'll find it here in Sarasota (can only speak for here and Tampa/St. Pete) depends on where you're coming from. I mean, if you come from a city like Baltimore or Washington DC or NYC or Philadelphia or Boston or LA or Chicago or (ok, you get the idea), then you'll likely find the people pretty friendly.

If, on the other hand, you come from a suburban or rural area, you might find it lacking in the congeniality area. I suppose it's all relative. I mean, someone else in another thread was PROUDLY describing his unwillingness to look someone in the eye and say hello, so it takes all kinds.

We have found the vast majority of our neighbors to be very friendly, by the way.

P.S. I thought it was great that someone will manage to malign the OP as somehow duplicitous even when there is nothing whatsoever to bolster the view. I mean, the woman actually invited negative commentary and then contradicted exactly NONE of the replies. Brilliant.

Last edited by Rushmore; 11-20-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 11:47 AM

477 posts, read 987,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post

That is just gross!!! And quite sad....but not limited to a state...only a horrific state of mind..

Old 11-20-2010, 11:57 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Holy smokes! That's just awful!

I had an investor a few years back that was trying to sell a home and nobody wanted to buy the home because the home across the street was bright yellow and blue. He actually paid to have their house painted. Not that I suggest anything like that but it just reminded be of a situation that you have virtually no control over.

I just can't see how people can be so cruel to write and do things like that. I guess it takes all kinds
When we were house hunting, there was a beautiful house we were actively considering in Deer Creek. When we went back for a second look, the owner of the neighboring house was home, working on his oversized shiny pickup truck, and so were his two snarling, bloodthirsty aggressive dogs, standing at the end of the driveway, threatening us like the Hellhounds of Hades. The owner had essentially the same general demeanor as his lovely pets. It was quite clear he was enjoying not having a neighbor on that side. We figured our skinny little goofy mutt would be carrion for the vultures pretty quick, and that we would, uh, shall we say, not have anyone from whom to borrow a cup of sugar, so we excluded this property from our search. It is still on the market 11 months later.

P.S. The owner was African-American, so, uh, yeah, it takes all kinds.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:52 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
No different than transplanting plants. No matter how much tender loving care you give them or how much beautiful sunshine shines on them some roots just never take. We've all had that happen. That's life.
There's a difference I also noticed as to whether the transplant has family with them or family follows them down. If you have several children you're going to be kind of busy and if anything seek some solitude. Sisters and brothers and parents living nearby are a blessing. Those moving down without children and family, like myself and my husband, would feel the social isolation and lack of friends more acutely. Making friends back in NYC was a snap. Making friends here in TN is another matter altogether. Most people I've met from other states do not stay here and their biggest complaint is the lack of community and feelings of social isolation. A feeling of not belonging. I lost many friends that way over the years and I'm noticing few new people are moving into my semi-rural area.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
This state is big, it takes almost a whole day just to drive to get out of here, if you live in SoFla. You don't realize when you move here, how far away it really is from your friends and family. It seems like moving here is easier than moving out. You think that you will go to the beach when you move here, but it does not work that way.

Last edited by jasper12; 11-20-2010 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-20-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
There's a difference I also noticed as to whether the transplant has family with them or family follows them down. If you have several children you're going to be kind of busy and if anything seek some solitude. Sisters and brothers and parents living nearby are a blessing. Those moving down without children and family, like myself and my husband, would feel the social isolation and lack of friends more acutely. Making friends back in NYC was a snap. Making friends here in TN is another matter altogether. Most people I've met from other states do not stay here and their biggest complaint is the lack of community and feelings of social isolation. A feeling of not belonging. I lost many friends that way over the years and I'm noticing few new people are moving into my semi-rural area.
That's probably very true. Since FL in general has a large population of seniors, I would think that this is a concern of many people. What kind of things do you like to do? I know there's a senior friendship center where lots of seniors in the area get together and play cards, talk, go out to eat, etc. I've found one of the best ways to meet people is to find others with like interests-photography, rowing, cards, yoga, or whatever you may be into. I see this is a major concern of yours. Maybe we can figure out ways to help you out with your concerns.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:28 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Research research research.... though if "a sense of community" and "friendly neighbors" is what you're looking for in ANY part of the country, a gated community might not be the best thing! Gated community dwellers automatically have suspicion of the outside world, otherwise they wouldn't be in a gated community.

The older neighborhoods and communities in Florida are where you'll generally find people with greater ties and commitment to the community.
i'm not in a gated community. i KNOW the houses are occupied because i see their garbage and recycle bins once a week.

we did alot of research (SoFlGal probably remembers! lol) and I have an idea of another neighborhood that may work. We actually went trick-or-treating there as a reconnaissance mission! lol

I also can't imagine my kids learning to drive here. It is really bad!! (and I am coming from NY - at least they pay attention and stop at stop signs in NY) Am I missing something, are those octagonal red signs Stoptional in Sarasota??

Where are the older neighborhoods? In my case I need to be near school so my options are limited i guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area