Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 05:26 PM

129 posts, read 584,246 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am stuck here in cold and rainy Oregon and considering moving to Sarasota region. I was thinking about it in the past and my plans were subsequently halted, unfortunately. My goal is to eventually spend half the year in Florida and perhaps the other half travelling abroad in the Caribbean or Europe. But, I am thinking I may want to get settled in Florida and stay there for a year. I am looking into moving there in the Spring.

What I would like to know is what areas in the Tampa, Sarasota, Venice area have unspoiled beaches and nature where you can enjoy magnificent scenery without being overwhelmed by the hordes of beachgoers and tourists. FYI, I have lived on the Oregon coast for 4 years, so I am use to having entire beautiful beaches all to myself. Sadly, the weather on the Oregon coast is so bad that you can only enjoy the beach about 2 months of the year. And, of course, you can never swim in the Oregon coast, unless you are very adventurous and wear a wetsuit.

Anyway, I am a simple man, yet I do have some demands because of my work. I like to go and meditate and be at peace with nature. THe problem with living in Oregon, is you can only go outside and do this for a few months of the year without getting drenched or freezing to death. I was hearing that there are still some exotic and beautiful places in SOuth Florida that have not been touched by the onslaught of development. Even though they are in more populated areas, I would still be interested in hearing what people think about Anna Marie Island and Siesta Key.

Is there any places near the Everglades that are livable, yet still near civilization? I am thinking I'd love to travel to the Everglades for hiking and adventuring every so often, if I live in Sarasota area. Is it a very far drive?

I am not a total recluse. I am also interested in having access to city life and culture. So, I would like to be located somewhere near Tampa. I am sure most of small towns in South Florida are just older and retired people. I would like to have some type of social life. Social life is not easy for busy guy in his early 30s, but I would try. Portland's weirdo/hipster population is also a turnoff. I am a more conservative/religious guy, although a nature lover and tree-huggerish. I guess I'd be interested in being around younger people who are not so weird, like in Portland.

Also, I am a mountain man, so where are the nearest mountains to SOuth FLorida? Ok, that last question was a joke. Seriously though, where do people go for mountain getaways when living in South FLorida? Was thinking about travelling to DOminica once a year, but not sure the cheapest way to get there.

As far as my budget, well this is weird. I work from home developing computer software. So, I can live anywhere where I have high speed internet access. My goal is to travel around the world, so I want to save money. I am thinking I like to find a place under $1000 a month. Not planning on buying now or maybe ever! Preferably if I can find a place from $700-$850 that would be ideal. Can I get any decent place for that price that is not very remote or infested with drug dealers and gangbangers? I know in Portland for $700 you would essentially get a dump in a ghetto these days. I'm not sure, but it seems the prices in Sarasota are on par with Portland. At least you get sunshine for that price, not perpetual rain and gloom.

Thanks for advice.. P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 07:15 PM

807 posts, read 3,188,683 times
I'm thinking that this area might not fit your requirements. Snowbird season really adds to the traffic and the 'feel' here seems to change. There are beautiful beaches and all but those spots are typically crowded although Anna Maria still retains the 'old Florida' mentality. If you have your heart set on the area, I would probably look there but I don't know if the prices fit.

Have you considered Fernandina Beach? That part of the Northeast corner of the state is really nice, too. And it's closer to the mountains in North Carolina where lots of Floridians go for vacations.

Good luck...it seems like you have a lot to think about!

Old 12-11-2010, 07:50 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
I'm thinking that this area might not fit your requirements. Snowbird season really adds to the traffic and the 'feel' here seems to change. There are beautiful beaches and all but those spots are typically crowded although Anna Maria still retains the 'old Florida' mentality. If you have your heart set on the area, I would probably look there but I don't know if the prices fit.

Have you considered Fernandina Beach? That part of the Northeast corner of the state is really nice, too. And it's closer to the mountains in North Carolina where lots of Floridians go for vacations.

Good luck...it seems like you have a lot to think about!
I agree about Anna Maria- also there are many nature preserves in the Sarasota and Bradenton area which you may enjoy. I guess nearest mountains would be Georgia? But we do have some pretty hills in the center and northern parts of the state. Florida does have a lot to offer one who loves nature.

It's not impossible to find something in the Sarasota area within your budget, however it does become tougher during the "season" here which is just starting now and lasts through April.

Good luck to you. We do have plenty of beautiful sunshiny days to enjoy our beautiful beaches, parks, preserves and lakes.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:18 PM

913 posts, read 2,363,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
Hi, I am stuck here in cold and rainy Oregon and considering moving to Sarasota region. I was thinking about it in the past and my plans were subsequently halted, unfortunately. My goal is to eventually spend half the year in Florida and perhaps the other half travelling abroad in the Caribbean or Europe. But, I am thinking I may want to get settled in Florida and stay there for a year. I am looking into moving there in the Spring.

What I would like to know is what areas in the Tampa, Sarasota, Venice area have unspoiled beaches and nature where you can enjoy magnificent scenery without being overwhelmed by the hordes of beachgoers and tourists. FYI, I have lived on the Oregon coast for 4 years, so I am use to having entire beautiful beaches all to myself. Sadly, the weather on the Oregon coast is so bad that you can only enjoy the beach about 2 months of the year. And, of course, you can never swim in the Oregon coast, unless you are very adventurous and wear a wetsuit.

Anyway, I am a simple man, yet I do have some demands because of my work. I like to go and meditate and be at peace with nature. THe problem with living in Oregon, is you can only go outside and do this for a few months of the year without getting drenched or freezing to death. I was hearing that there are still some exotic and beautiful places in SOuth Florida that have not been touched by the onslaught of development. Even though they are in more populated areas, I would still be interested in hearing what people think about Anna Marie Island and Siesta Key.

Is there any places near the Everglades that are livable, yet still near civilization? I am thinking I'd love to travel to the Everglades for hiking and adventuring every so often, if I live in Sarasota area. Is it a very far drive?

I am not a total recluse. I am also interested in having access to city life and culture. So, I would like to be located somewhere near Tampa. I am sure most of small towns in South Florida are just older and retired people. I would like to have some type of social life. Social life is not easy for busy guy in his early 30s, but I would try. Portland's weirdo/hipster population is also a turnoff. I am a more conservative/religious guy, although a nature lover and tree-huggerish. I guess I'd be interested in being around younger people who are not so weird, like in Portland.

Also, I am a mountain man, so where are the nearest mountains to SOuth FLorida? Ok, that last question was a joke. Seriously though, where do people go for mountain getaways when living in South FLorida? Was thinking about travelling to DOminica once a year, but not sure the cheapest way to get there.

As far as my budget, well this is weird. I work from home developing computer software. So, I can live anywhere where I have high speed internet access. My goal is to travel around the world, so I want to save money. I am thinking I like to find a place under $1000 a month. Not planning on buying now or maybe ever! Preferably if I can find a place from $700-$850 that would be ideal. Can I get any decent place for that price that is not very remote or infested with drug dealers and gangbangers? I know in Portland for $700 you would essentially get a dump in a ghetto these days. I'm not sure, but it seems the prices in Sarasota are on par with Portland. At least you get sunshine for that price, not perpetual rain and gloom.

Thanks for advice.. P
So you want " unspoiled beaches and nature where you can enjoy magnificent scenery without being overwhelmed by the hordes of beachgoers and tourists", but "also interested in having access to city life and culture"? And you want to be close to Tampa? How close is close? If I was you I would check out Cape Haze area, Englewood or Grove City. It is close to some secluded beaches, such as Cayo Costa. I'm not sure about the rent, though. You would be less than hour from Ft. Meyers and about 1.5 hours from Tampa.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:36 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,264,665 times
You may like the University Park area. It is right on the border of Bradenton, Sarasota and is about 15-20 minutes to Siesta Key Beach (ranked #1 beach in the nation a few consecutive years) This area also offers very easy access to I75 and is about an hour to Tampa, but its an easy drive. You would be close to downtown Sarasota for the arts and culture you desire, yet you wont be right in the hussle of inner Sarasota. The area is very, very well kept, tons of shopping along University Parkway and has a range of BEAUTIFUL homes for reasonable prices. You have your option to rent a townhome (may be a bit high, but with the market you never know..) in Sabal Bay, or Carolina landings, or you can rent at Tuscany on University Pkway. There are also a few other apartment communities along University that may fit your needs but I can't think of the name of them at the moment.. Dont shy away from the area since its Bradenton, University Parkway is the border, and sometimes its a very overlooked area. We lived in Bradenton, in a not so great area (rented) and ended up purchasing near the University Park area..

Old 12-12-2010, 10:06 PM

807 posts, read 3,188,683 times
golly, that's where I live! (Tivoli) ... small world, huh?

Oregonians wouldn't need to travel to the everglades to see wildlife as you can see by this pic taken at the lake behind our house:

genuine photo...I swear!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:33 AM

129 posts, read 584,246 times
+1 to On-da-Beach..

Cool photo. I had a black bear living in my backyard when I use to live on the Central Oregon coast. I had 1000s of acres of Siuslaw National Forest in my backyard and there was black bear, elk, coyotes and cougars everywhere. However, we were certainly lacking those gators.

Cool photo.. Florida's ecology still baffles me. I don't quite understand all the dynamics of the state, but I am intrigued to find out.

All the advice sounds good .. Eager to hear more. I have been also contemplating the eastern part of FL. Someone told me Titusville/Melbourne area is nice with good beaches. I still am trying to learn about the different areas; doing some homework, but appreciate the education I receive from people here.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:44 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,316,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
golly, that's where I live! (Tivoli) ... small world, huh?

Oregonians wouldn't need to travel to the everglades to see wildlife as you can see by this pic taken at the lake behind our house:

genuine photo...I swear!
Goodness, what are you feeding him?

Old 12-13-2010, 05:58 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
I second Fernadina Beach. Less retiree/snowbird vibe. Closer to The South and the mountains. It's on the other coast, further north. Near Jacksonville, short ride to Savannah, Charleston, and if needed, a day trip to Atlanta. Better vibe. More authentic.

Or try something decent near Miami.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:34 PM

48 posts, read 187,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Goodness, what are you feeding him?
I think he is feeding him illegal aliens...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area