Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:36 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

One more thing - from Gulf Gate area, you will have easy access to Siesta Key beaches, considered some of the most beautiful in the country. They are completely free, including parking. I don't think that is the case in Dunedin. This may or may not be important to you, but thought I would mention it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 07:00 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
Thanks gypsychic and SoFLGal. Sounds great. Can you name the intersection in Gulf Gate where the "center" is located?

I believe Dunedin and Clearwater have beautiful beaches too. But I think you're right, there's a fee for Honeymoon Island, I believe.

BTW, one of my husband's considerations is a nice bar or two easy walking distance from home.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Thanks gypsychic and SoFLGal. Sounds great. Can you name the intersection in Gulf Gate where the "center" is located?

I believe Dunedin and Clearwater have beautiful beaches too. But I think you're right, there's a fee for Honeymoon Island, I believe.

BTW, one of my husband's considerations is a nice bar or two easy walking distance from home.
The closest map coordinates are Gulf Gate Dr and Gateway Ave.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 AM

I believe the main road through there is Gulf Gate Drive, off 41. There are bars there, no worries! Sarasota Brewing Co. is a brewpub and has been there for decades, just to name one.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:47 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Hi Wwander,

I'm sorta new to the Gulf Gate area, (Two months), but of what I know, the main cross roads where the restaurants, shops and bars are located would be along Gulf Gate Dr, bars are mostly along Superior and Gateway Ave. And believe me, there's quite a large number of bars for such a small villiage. I don't know how great the bars are, I've yet to visit any of them. We even have a Hooters restaurant/bar in the area. The are all in walking distance of each other, but it would be hard to say if they would be in walking distance of where you would purchase a home/condo.

Main Roads I know of within Gulf Gate Villiage:

Gateway Ave
Superior Ave
Gulf Gate Drive
Mall Drive
S. Tamiami Trail

I do agree with you that Clearwater has nice beaches too, when I lived in Tampa, Madeira Beach, was my favorite beach to visit, spent lots of time over there. I like the beaches here more for the sand and easy access for me, by public transit.

Good luck wherever you choose to land.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 AM

TRosa, so you're new! How do you like it? You can get to the beach via public transit? That's pretty cool. Do you find your area walkable? Easy to get to stores?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:09 AM

BTW, thanks for referring to this area as a "village". To me, via Street View, it looks like a bunch of stripmalls, but then I have to remember, this is Florida! So looks can be deceiving, I think.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
BTW, thanks for referring to this area as a "village". To me, via Street View, it looks like a bunch of stripmalls, but then I have to remember, this is Florida! So looks can be deceiving, I think.
The one thing that keeps it from being really "charming," is that while they are all cute little independent restaurants, cafes, etc., they are on broad streets and cramped parking lots with cars SMACK in front of the shops, giving little room to walk. Also, there is no ambiance for outdoor eating, which I truly love.

You owe it to yourselves to compare this to downtown, while downtown is more expensive, I think it is more what you are looking for. To me the area consisting of downtown and over-the Ringling-Bridge to St. Armand's Circle and Lido Beach is just unparalleled. For instance, yesterday was our anniversary, and we went out to eat at the Columbia Spanish restaurant on St. Armand's and sat outside in the beautiful evening with people walking all around - it was absolutely marvelous! After dinner we strolled over to the Le Macaron, French pastry place for some delicious macarons and walked all around. Downtown and St. Armand's are by far the most cosmopolitan areas of Sarasota, and vibrant, and just so beautiful. This is all just my opinion of course, but you should check it out for yourselves. You may decide it's worth it to up your price to live near here.

That said, if you really want to stick to your budget and you are only here a few months per year, Gulf Gate is a great alternative.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
I like it very much, but then, my needs and desires for what makes an area highly desirable are so few, walkability, proximity to beaches, clean, safe area in a warm climate. If you want cosmopolitan anything, this isn't the area, it's a small villiage and truthfully, if there are condos in area, they are not in my line of view, for you that might be a good thing, meaning they are tucked back from traffic, not me personally. I live in an older complex, which is well maintained for it's age. Everything I want or need is in walking distance. Easy access to transit was high on my list, had to give up driving for medical reasons, no not because I had too many DUI's or any such things as some lady seemed to think. LOL. I know TMI.

Stores like Marshalls, Bed Bath &Beyond, Ross, Publix, and a number of other larger stores, plus a bus depot are in one area about 3 min walk. You can catch a bus to turtle beach, Siesta Key beach and be there in about 10, you'll need to take two buses to venice beach or lido beach, that's about a 30 minute ride. I very much love living here with so much to do in every direction. And of course you have all these great restaurants and boutiques in the area. A great library right down the road, I did walk there once, won't do that again, my legs are too weak for that. There's a church that has an area where you can walk your dog if you have one. I go there to walk my neighbors dog. Generally, I cart the dog down there in a wheeled backpack, since he won't walk until he's actually away from the roads . I've never seen a dog that doesn't like going for walks just about anywhere. So much for fearless Yorkshire-Terriers

Been a long time since I got to use so many smilies, that was fun. Simple pleasures. YAY.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The one thing that keeps it from being really "charming," is that while they are all cute little independent restaurants, cafes, etc., they are on broad streets and cramped parking lots with cars SMACK in front of the shops, giving little room to walk. Also, there is no ambiance for outdoor eating, which I truly love.

You owe it to yourselves to compare this to downtown, while downtown is more expensive, I think it is more what you are looking for. To me the area consisting of downtown and over-the Ringling-Bridge to St. Armand's Circle and Lido Beach is just unparalleled. For instance, yesterday was our anniversary, and we went out to eat at the Columbia Spanish restaurant on St. Armand's and sat outside in the beautiful evening with people walking all around - it was absolutely marvelous! After dinner we strolled over to the Le Macaron, French pastry place for some delicious macarons and walked all around. Downtown and St. Armand's are by far the most cosmopolitan areas of Sarasota, and vibrant, and just so beautiful. This is all just my opinion of course, but you should check it out for yourselves. You may decide it's worth it to up your price to live near here.

That said, if you really want to stick to your budget and you are only here a few months per year, Gulf Gate is a great alternative.
The area you're talking about would cost literally twice as much as Gulf Gate. I mean, why not try Paris? I hear it's nice, too.

Kidding (mostly). I just don't think a number even remotely LIKE $100K is going to be seen where you're talking about, and, if it is, I would assume it would be tiny and pretty shabby.

Now, if she had said $175K, it's a different conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area