Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:49 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,331,640 times

Advertisements

Personally, I'd like to see an end to malls in general, but that's just my own unpopular opinion.

Meanwhile, adding to the quirky things one sees in the general area:

Those wading birds that stand sentry in the shallow water with their wings spread. Are they advertising, or intimidating?

Either way, they certainly seem to have some sort of point to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 09:11 AM

481 posts, read 939,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Personally, I'd like to see an end to malls in general, but that's just my own unpopular opinion.

Meanwhile, adding to the quirky things one sees in the general area:

Those wading birds that stand sentry in the shallow water with their wings spread. Are they advertising, or intimidating?

Either way, they certainly seem to have some sort of point to make.
They are cormerants/anhingas and they are drying their wings. If you ever go kyaking at South Lido Park there is a cormerant that follows you in the water. My kids call him George. We have even petted him, it's hilarious.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:45 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,592,143 times
I read this thread and enjoyed the comments about things I find really nice about Florida, too.
Today, I commented to DH about the blue sky. It was glorious. Thx,

Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,192,406 times
Having moved from NY, I am amazed how much longer the daylight hours are. Today I spoke to my daughter in Ct. who asked if it was dark yet. I said no, the sun is still shining. She said it was pitch dark, at 4:30 in Ct. I was driving with the sun in my eyes heading West on 41. Amazing.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:34 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,119,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
Having moved from NY, I am amazed how much longer the daylight hours are. Today I spoke to my daughter in Ct. who asked if it was dark yet. I said no, the sun is still shining. She said it was pitch dark, at 4:30 in Ct. I was driving with the sun in my eyes heading West on 41. Amazing.
all to do with latitutude and the time of the year. in the Uk which is further north the sun was up at 3.30-4am in the summer until gone 9 at night....then winter its after 8 till 3.30/4pm if you are lucky

down here the days are more consistent never as long but never as short...its a nice balance.

yesterday I drove down to Naples around sunrise -it was awesome driving down I75 watch it come up.
its one thing we never tire of -the sunrises and sets

Old 01-09-2012, 05:40 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,759,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
yesterday I drove down to Naples around sunrise -it was awesome driving down I75 watch it come up.
its one thing we never tire of -the sunrises and sets
One of my all time favorite things to do is ... while in the Florida Keys ...
waking up early to watch the sun rise over the Atlantic Ocean and later watching it set over the Gulf in the same day from the same key.

Truly a bucket list moment almost anyone would appreciate.

I'm headed to work in Homestead today/tomorrow so I will sleep in Key Largo tonight, a 30 minute commute to work but sooooo worth it.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:29 AM

8,737 posts, read 9,428,840 times
I've enjoyed reading this thread too, reminds me why I love living here too, I never stop smiling when I have some of the similar encounters with the people and experiencing the beauty of the area, so much to appreciate.

And much to laugh at myself about, like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
I always like when the temp gets down below 50 and the locals put on their snow boots, parkas and gloves. Since I am not a full time resident yet, I'm walking around in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops. I know I probably look is silly to them as they look to me and that's OK.

Last week, on the day it was really, really cold, I mean really cold, I thought I was dressed appropriately, I didn't exactly have on boots or leather or wool coat, but I boarded the bus, fully covered head to toe, on way to the library and the driver almost laughed me off the bus. On the way back home, same driver still laughing her head off, because I had rid myself of jacket and she just had to comment that it had only been little over 30 minutes since I had all that gear. Come on this is Fl, temps change at the drop of a hat. She's lucky I like her and could just laugh along. Boy did I feel like an idiot, though I know I shouldn't, it was really cold that morning.

On the botching of TAMIAMI, I don't think anyone did as much injustice to it as I Ta mari ari is how I was pronouncing it, my eyes just couldn't read it correctly. A lady screamed the correct pronuciation at me when I asked for directions to the road, so did my closest friend, who finally after numerous I finally looked at the spelling and actually saw it for what it spelled. though they should put another m in there if they want to make it easier. Tammiami maybe? or Tammyammi no? I'm kidding of course.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 AM

94 posts, read 177,506 times
I loved reading this thread this morning, I cut and pasted to an email to share with my husband- especially how to say Tammy-ammy- I sure hope that is how I have to say it.

Finally got a job in Florida, I start 2/13. so much to do to move from Baltimore to Port Charlotte in such a short time. Looking for a place to live is the priority, has not been easy LOL

But I was hoping the humidity would give my straight as a board hair a little lift, guess not LOL.

Can't wait to look up at the sky every day and see the beautiful blue.

Still waiting to see my first wild alligator- hopefully from a distances.
Everytime we have visited I have taken pictures of the different birds, and I have already bought a book to learn the different types of little lizards.

I cannot wait 30 days til I move to Florida!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,406,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
That definitely has some appeal! On the flipside, when does the FL sun typically set at night in the summer? Up north in WI it can be closer to 9:30 PM on the longer days of the year, which is a very nice flipside to the unforgiving winter darkness.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:05 PM

398 posts, read 819,976 times
I never tire of going down to Siesta Key Beach between 7:30 and 8am. The white sand/quartz intoxicates me.

It amazes me how many workers/equipment there is down there. Saddens me that there is so much trash they have to pickup that people leave behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area