Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 01:44 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,859,356 times

Advertisements

Since we have so many foodies on this board and the Gulf Gate area has been brought up lately, I thought I'd put a plug in for Veg a restaurant I had lunch at this afternoon.

My oldest daughter had a Dr's appt this afternoon in Sarasota so after the appointment we stopped at this wonderful little restaurant. She's a vegetarian so it's hard to find places that have good vegan or vegetarian food. I had the portobello burger and it was fantastic! It had portobello mushroom, tomato, lettuce, caramelized onions and a balsamic sauce.

The restaurant is one of the strip malls on Gulf Gate Dr. They've made it really cute and cozy inside though. They have nice wooden tables with fresh flowers on each table.

We usually just stop by Panera or other places like that. The prices were in line with what you might find at Panera but the food was much more fresh and flavorful.

The chef/owner came over to the table after we finished our lunch. He asked how everything was and said that they've been open for about a year.

I wish I lived a little closer. I'd probably be in nearly every afternoon for lunch

Here's their website, where you can take a peek at their menu:
Veg - A Vegetarian & Seafood Eatery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,334,033 times
The menu looks great. We might just run over there, uh...now. I salade nicoise might really hit the spot!

By the way, we had the very affordable lunch buffet at Gateway To India today, and it was definitely better than any other Indian buffet I can recall. I usually don't go for a buffet, but we were famished and had just come from my wife's gyn appt (it's a girl!), so we were right there, and...

You won't find a much better $10 all you can eat Indian lunch anywhere, I think.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. One thing is for sure--we need to stop factoring in curb appeal when considering restaurants here. There have been some real gems that looked just BLAH from outside, but then, really great inside.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:42 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,859,356 times
Congrats on the new news! I have three girls and they're all just as perfect as can be

My oldest will be 18 tomorrow so we're going to have a birthday party for her on Sat. I just called Veg up to see if they did catering. Apparently they don't really anymore but they said they could whip something simple up for me. Yeah!

Let me know how you like it!

Old 11-30-2010, 03:48 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,035,142 times
You made a wise choice in stopping into this place.
We did the same thing - happened to see it & thought we'd give it a try.
Will definitely be back!

What struck me, in addition to the food, was how accomodating them seemed. So when they say they can whip something together, I think it'll be something good.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:51 PM

477 posts, read 984,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Since we have so many foodies on this board and the Gulf Gate area has been brought up lately, I thought I'd put a plug in for Veg a restaurant I had lunch at this afternoon.

My oldest daughter had a Dr's appt this afternoon in Sarasota so after the appointment we stopped at this wonderful little restaurant. She's a vegetarian so it's hard to find places that have good vegan or vegetarian food. I had the portobello burger and it was fantastic! It had portobello mushroom, tomato, lettuce, caramelized onions and a balsamic sauce.

The restaurant is one of the strip malls on Gulf Gate Dr. They've made it really cute and cozy inside though. They have nice wooden tables with fresh flowers on each table.

We usually just stop by Panera or other places like that. The prices were in line with what you might find at Panera but the food was much more fresh and flavorful.

The chef/owner came over to the table after we finished our lunch. He asked how everything was and said that they've been open for about a year.

I wish I lived a little closer. I'd probably be in nearly every afternoon for lunch

Here's their website, where you can take a peek at their menu:
Veg - A Vegetarian & Seafood Eatery
I LOVE Veg!!! I've also had the portobello burger, delish! The fish tacos are good, too. Mmmm...maybe I'll send dh to pick up dinner there. I was so excited to find that place. Veggies and seafood are what I mostly eat anyway.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
The menu looks great. We might just run over there, uh...now. I salade nicoise might really hit the spot!

By the way, we had the very affordable lunch buffet at Gateway To India today, and it was definitely better than any other Indian buffet I can recall. I usually don't go for a buffet, but we were famished and had just come from my wife's gyn appt (it's a girl!), so we were right there, and...

You won't find a much better $10 all you can eat Indian lunch anywhere, I think.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. One thing is for sure--we need to stop factoring in curb appeal when considering restaurants here. There have been some real gems that looked just BLAH from outside, but then, really great inside.
Congrats Rushmore and didiadem!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 06:31 PM

8,737 posts, read 9,432,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post

I live in Gulf Gate (recently moved to the area)and seem to be missing these little gems. I will have to try this place.

BTW anyone find any good pizza places in Gulf Gate?

Oh and Rushmore congrats on the new arrival to the family.

SoFlGal, next time you are in the area and if you see me walking down the road wave. You can't miss me.

Last edited by TRosa; 11-30-2010 at 07:16 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I live in Gulf Gate (recently moved to the area)and seem to be missing these little gems. I will have to try this place.

BTW anyone find any good pizza places in Gulf Gate?

Oh and Rushmore congrats on the new arrival to the family.

SoFlGal, next time you in the area and if you see me walking down the road wave. You can't miss me.
Rico's in Gulf Gate is what we order lately. We really enjoy it!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 PM

8,737 posts, read 9,432,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
Rico's in Gulf Gate is what we order lately. We really enjoy it!
Is that on Superior, Gulf Gate Dr? I know, I know, it's a small area, I'll find it. but give me a clue anyway.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Is that on Superior, Gulf Gate Dr? I know, I know, it's a small area, I'll find it. but give me a clue anyway.
We have only gotten delivery but I think it's on Gulf Gate Dr.

Rico's Pizzeria :: Gulfgate Ave :: Sarasota, FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area