U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:02 PM

66 posts, read 173,004 times

Advertisements

is anyone else tired of these fake "communities" that continue to pop up and build houses that people won't be able to pay for and use water that soon enough, we won't have? There's a new one going up by 681 (isn't this going to add traffic lights to 681?? -- a real shame)

All I hear is that this area is in a foreclosure crisis, yet they build more foreclosure hotspots?

Oh well, I guess we better get used to more of these as new people move here and move into these developments....errr "communities":

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 PM

51 posts, read 151,859 times
When I was in Vegas, they had a news story on something similar. Basically, why are we building new homes when we have so many forclosures and short sales on the market bringing home prices down. The reasoning is b/c i

Old 12-01-2010, 11:05 PM

354 posts, read 1,176,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginnokomis View Post
is anyone else tired of these fake "communities" that continue to pop up and build houses that people won't be able to pay for and use water that soon enough, we won't have? There's a new one going up by 681 (isn't this going to add traffic lights to 681?? -- a real shame)

All I hear is that this area is in a foreclosure crisis, yet they build more foreclosure hotspots?

Oh well, I guess we better get used to more of these as new people move here and move into these developments....errr "communities":
I am waiting for the traffic signals to go up so we can all slam our brakes coming off the highway.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:48 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,647,194 times
They are building a new community at Jacaranda and Venice Avenue here in my neck of the woods. A huge "community" named Verona Reserve and boy oh boy are they trying to build it fast. You should see the number of dozers and such. The parent company that owns the builder Taylor Morrison is trying to sell off the company.
I just don't get the logic at all, since Sarasota National and the half dozen or so subdivisions in Venice sit half empty. Maybe someone could explain it to me?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:49 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,027,846 times
Who is it that you're mad at? Local government for issuing the permits? The builders and construction companies for devising and executing the plans? Developers for over-speculating? Consumers ("new people moving here") for their disposable income? Lexus? Someone has to be "they."

When you were protesting the permits or chained to a tree at the development site, what was "their" response? What exactly did the local government have to say about it? I imagine they said that in this economy, they didn't want to deprive the many people involved in the project a livelihood, but that you should definitely vote your conscience at the next election.

I agree it seems odd (even ill-advised) for new construction to be in the works. If I had to guess, it must have been a done deal prior to the bust, and the developers have simply decided to roll the dice and proceed rather than take the loss and bankrupt.

Every area has what seems like adequate reason for provincial perspectives and interests. When you start defining incoming population as "these new people," however, provincial becomes xenophobic.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 AM

37 posts, read 62,152 times
Very relevent artical from today's paper:
Quote:
Call it a fiscal Band-Aid or a mini stimulus package: The Sarasota County Commission hopes to slash impact fees on new homes to sway residential and commercial builders to bring new life to the struggling local economy...

..."Florida is not competitive," said Commissioner Joe Barbetta. "We have to be able to open a Forbes magazine or Wall Street Journal and see an article that says Florida is open for business, and the West Coast is just the place to go."...

Sarasota County weighs cutting some impact fees, hoping for job growth | HeraldTribune.com

Old 12-02-2010, 07:18 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,027,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
Very relevent artical from today's paper:
That is a very timely and interesting article, thanks Jim.

Of course, if cutting these fees will positively impact the economy in general, that is great. Naturally, one wonders at the ultimate cost of such a measure, first in the loss of the fees to the county budget, and second, if the gamble fails, and the measures merely lead to more foreclosures.

But I assume they are considering all of these angles.

Right?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:13 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,511,378 times
I can answer WHY there are more subdivisions AKA HOA's being built: because people want to buy them. Simple as that. People like "new" and they like the look of a manicured community. It makes them feel warm and fuzzy and safe.

Later, much later, they will discover all the things they didn't read when they bought with stars in their eyes: the actual covenants (rules), the financial ties that they have with all the other owners (if someone doesn't pay their dues then the other owners have to pay for the non-payers), there is more, lots more.

We have owned and lived in 3 different HOA's in the last 12 years and will never do so again. It took a LOT of driving and looking to find our home of 3 years in a nice non-HOA neighborhood. It is a rare thing nowadays and we will not move until they drag us away.

Most people don't have the knowledge to look ahead to how an HOA can make their life miserable in sooooo many ways. Financially is just one factor.

Of course local governments want more building. That means more "other peoples tax money" they get to spend. Meanwhile they are overburdening water and sewer and other infrastructure that we the current residents will have to pay for: more roads constructed, more traffic, higher water/sewer bills.

How do we stop it? VOTE for people not connected to developers.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:59 AM

913 posts, read 2,159,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post

Most people don't have the knowledge to look ahead to how an HOA can make their life miserable in sooooo many ways. Financially is just one factor.
When we were looking for a condo I made it my mission to read everything I could about the HOA. Some HOA's were very good about providing info, some refuse to provide any info (which we passed on, of course). We eventually passed on "deals" of any condo conversion as being too risky. We eventually bought in a complex that is very stable and has never had an special assessment. Our HOA fee has actually declined for the past two years. You just have to do your home work.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:53 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,647,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Of course local governments want more building. That means more "other peoples tax money" they get to spend. Meanwhile they are overburdening water and sewer and other infrastructure that we the current residents will have to pay for: more roads constructed, more traffic, higher water/sewer bills.

How do we stop it? VOTE for people not connected to developers.
I have to completely agree with you. Once again, instead of developing an industry here like solar or green energy development, our simpleton politicians must make a buck fast without regard to the longterm effects. I have long missed my cow pasture that they've bulldozed for the Taylor Morrison development, which will in all likelyhood remain half empty or incomplete. "They paved paradise, And put up a new subdivision"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area