U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:25 PM

159 posts, read 332,812 times

Advertisements

I am a mechanical engineer, self employed, looking to move down to the Sarasota, FL area from my current NJ area... I design CAD engineering drawings and I have local machine shops make my parts from my drawings...

Is there a big manufacturing base around this area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 06:44 PM

8,189 posts, read 30,238,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthrust View Post

No. There is very little manufacturing done around here. There are a few machine shops, but without knowing the nature of your designs I will recommend

Dang's
2251 17th St # A, Sarasota
(941) 366-3914

They are not fast and price wise, meh.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:52 AM

37 posts, read 65,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthrust View Post
I am a mechanical engineer, self employed, looking to move down to the Sarasota, FL area from my current NJ area... I design CAD engineering drawings and I have local machine shops make my parts from my drawings...

I think most people here would have to agree with Racelady. There’s not too much manufacturing being done in SW Florida in general. Tourism and Construction have always been the focus.

There was both good news and bad on this subject in the local paper this past week:
Quote:
PGT poised to create 400 jobs
Biggest employment boost for area since recession's onset
VENICE - PGT Inc., maker of hurricane-resistant windows and doors, has pledged to add 300 jobs in the next six months and another 100 over time.
Venice window maker PGT poised to create 400 jobs | HeraldTribune.com
Quote:
Sarasota area business assets sharply depleted
The value of business assets -- equipment, furnishings and customized improvements to plants and offices -- fell $326 million in Sarasota County from 2007 to 2009, a decline of 13 percent, according to a Herald-Tribune analysis of about 70,000 tax filings.
Manatee County businesses declared $102 million less in equipment and assets, while Charlotte County reported a $92 million decline.
Just like jobs, those assets likely will take years to replenish, a situation made worse by the borrowing difficulties faced by small businesses.
Sarasota County's decline was the steepest among the state's major counties. Higher percentage drops were recorded only in Gulf, Okeechobee and Levy counties, whose combined business assets amount to only a quarter of Sarasota County's.
Sarasota area business assets sharply depleted | HeraldTribune.com
Downthrust, I sent you a DM (direct message)

Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 AM

6,103 posts, read 14,368,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
I think most people here would have to agree with Racelady. There’s not too much manufacturing being done in SW Florida in general. Tourism and Construction have always been the focus.

There was both good news and bad on this subject in the local paper this past week:

Downthrust, I sent you a DM (direct message)
Yeah, beware the positive posters here - they are really bad and sneaky people - right Jim? Cuz, being negative about everything is what is most helpful.

But, Racelady is right there are not a lot of manufacturing jobs down here. So you'd have to be open to alternative types of work than that.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 PM

132 posts, read 306,805 times
Default try these

There are a few:

Bradenton area:
Bradenton Machine Shops | Machine Shops in Bradenton, FL - YP.COM

Sarasota area:
Sarasota Machine Shops | Machine Shops in Sarasota, FL - YP.COM

Keep in mind that St Pete is less than an hour away, so if you can't find the shop you're looking for in Sarasota, you probably can in the St pete/Tampa area.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:46 PM

354 posts, read 1,219,478 times
Tampa bay , Pinellas park and St Pete have a lot of manufacturing. I am a CNC machinist and I get many inquires every week.

I also work for a MAJOR defense manufacturer in Orlando near Sea world that always looks for engineers. They only take applications through their website.

I saw job requests for about 25 engineers last week.

Lockheed Martin Jobs

Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 AM

159 posts, read 332,812 times
I'm actually my own engineering firm.. I work in Solidworks all day designing parts and I'm looking for machine shops in Florida to MAKE the parts to my prints. So I would need more of a smaller job shop that is open to taking on small lot parts... my parts are all custom designed so it's usually 1-3 pieces of each part, sometimes a dozen or so.. but I do NOT do any large quantity stuff.

I'd be most interested in shops that can take Solidworks files.. they must have CNC lathes and cnc milling capability. Surface grinding and EDM is also a plus.

If you know of any shops that may meet what I'm looking for please pm me their information.

Thank You!

Old 03-17-2011, 04:52 PM

354 posts, read 1,219,478 times
I'll try to compile a list

Old 03-18-2011, 08:45 PM

493 posts, read 1,333,100 times
Hello, I'm a regular poster here, and a friend of BH and SoFLGal, and would like to chime in to pass along a website for you to look at which you may already be familiar with. The Thomas Directory is what I'm referring to and the page specific to Florida is as follows:

ThomasNet® - Category Service Results - Machining

This is a free service and you will be able to define your search specifically for what type of business your are looking for. The general website is www.thomasnet.com and is one of the best tools for our industry. I sell the very tools you would work with and I'm an industry sales professional of machine tools and use the directory to find potential customers. Not an expert, but I know the difference between a VMC and a HMC, 3 or 5 axis. I was very suprised to see there is quite a bit more than you would think and quite a bit in Tampa. Hope this helps in your search.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 PM

4,211 posts, read 6,435,910 times
My father-in-law had some parts machined for an experimental motor a few years back. He used Roehr's and Zucchini's, both in Sarasota. I think Roehr's is still in business on North Orange but not sure if Zucchini's on 12th is still open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area