Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:37 PM

159 posts, read 322,075 times

Advertisements

Okay...weird question. But I need some other unbiased opinions. We were planning a trip to Siesta Key for a week over Christmas. My husband broke his leg 2 weeks ago, on crutches...non weight bearing. So....do we bag the trip, or continue to come. I have mixed feelings. I feel as though he will be tired and frustrated dealing with very busy airports, and then not able to do a whole lot when we get there. He is not good at giving up control....stress is high when he isn't in control. We have always been walkers and bike riders when we have gone...can't really think of what we would do to fill the day without the ability to move around. How busy is that area the week after Christmas? Will we be dealing with throngs of people everywhere we go?

What are your thoughts friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 08:14 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Geesh, that's a though one. I have a feeling that you both wouldn't enjoy things. He's going to want to do more than he can on the crutches and it's going to be very frustrating. If you're staying on Siesta then you'll probably want to go check out the beach, which will be next to impossible on crutches. If it were me I'd probably bag the trip until the cast comes off. Really tough decision.

From Christmas through May or so is high season. Busy in the airports, beaches, roads, erc.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:56 PM

159 posts, read 322,075 times
Yea kinda my thoughts too. We would have our two boys (18 and 20) and they are getting sick of "family time" anyway. They want to do their own thing. The broken leg would bring us even more "together" time. Seems like an explosion waiting to happen...as sad as that makes me to admit.

I think we will lose the money we paid on the condo. We payed off the balance two weeks ago...don't know about the airline tickets. Ugggg! But what is the price of Sanity???

I thought if anyone replied to this it would be you SoFLGal! Thanks. When I move down your way (and that is my plan for January 2012) I would love to meet you! Love the way you think!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:06 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I agree - I don't think your family would enjoy it. Plus, we are having a cold spell, so the weather might not even be nice which would make it worse. Sometimes you do have to "let it go." Maybe it just wasn't meant to be this year.

Good luck to you!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:25 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
I don't agree. I think if you already paid for the condo, then come down. Even he will begin to relax when he sits in the sun with a margarita in his hand, and so will you. It takes a while to unwind, but once that relaxed feeling overtakes you guys - it will be a great trip.

There are a lot of things he can do and see, and the short trip to a spot on the beach is not going to be that difficult.

The boys will love it, just let the leash out a little. Remember "beach", there will be girls - boys love that.

Go for it! Don't Let it go.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:27 AM

164 posts, read 356,201 times
Three years ago I fell and fractured seven bones in my ankle and foot...one week before leaving for our timeshare on Lido Beach. The first couple of days I still wanted to go, but decided I was in too much pain and it was too much of a hassle to get around, so we stayed home. I was disappointed but also relieved!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:21 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,531 times
If you have already paid and can not get the money back, I would go. I do not know if you were planning on renting a car, but I would. There are some things you can do. You can sit at the Daiquiri Deck and people watch. You can go to the Ringling Museum, Mondays is “get in free” day. You can still go to the point and watch sunset (after you go the the Daiquiri Deck for happy hour). Drive down through Casey Key and look at the houses and then stop at the Casey Key Fish House. Maybe hit the art galleries on Palm Ave and have lunch. Stroll through downtown, like New Years Eve for the pineapple drop. Drive down to Boca Grande. There are lots of things you can do.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:52 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
I dunno...this may come down to a guys vs gals conversation! Personally, if you've already paid, I'd come down. Sure, it will be different than you planned but everyone already knows that so expectations should/will be changed. It is busy here but, as BH said, it's still Florida and you still have the things you looked forward to seeing. Nothing heals as well as watching the water, the palms, the birds, etc. with (or without) an adult beverage at hand. I'm not real sure about the beach and crutches but, if you find the two don't mix, there are alternatives. Just being in a different place for a while makes enough of a difference to make it worthwhile, IMHO.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:17 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
I agree this could go either way- I agree its a busy time of year and it wouldnt be as fun as it could be. However, you may just enjoy the relaxation? I guess it depends how much you would lose if you bagged the trip. I dont like to lose money, so I would go and just make the best of it...Its a change of scenery if nothing else : )

Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
If you 100% cannot get your money back, I say come on down and relax in a great place away from home.

Yes, we are having a bit of a cold spell, but it's reportedly about to lift, so it might be gorgeous here for the rest of the year.

Also, yes, it is the high season, but it will not be THRONGS of people.

I have broken and sprained many things, and yeah--it's a drag. But if he's not in great pain, I maintain that as long as you're up to dealing with the kids, a week here is always better than a week anywhere else.

Especially if you have already paid for it.

Last edited by Rushmore; 12-08-2010 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area