U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 AM

8,590 posts, read 8,872,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Please explain "lack of cultural offerings."
Did you like Thunder by the Bay?
Maybe lack of cultural offerings was the wrong choice of words. Boring as hell might have summed it up better. I just am finding the area a bit bland, uninspiring, but I still enjoy living here because of it's proximity to other locations. I didn't exactly attend Thunder by the Bay. After going to a lackluster event up my way, some gals I'd met at a previous event, and I headed downtown to see if there was anything a bit more exciting going on. We were way over dress for TOB, and stood out terribly, we were headed to the meat marget, I mean Mattison's bar and grill, they had a nice band playing and the area did seem a lot livelier and more fun for people not ready to settle in at 8 or 9 pm.

Last edited by TRosa; 01-12-2011 at 10:42 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 11:30 AM

4,860 posts, read 13,519,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Maybe lack of cultural offerings was the wrong choice of words. Boring as hell might have summed it up better. I just am finding the area a bit bland, uninspiring, but I still enjoy living here because of it's proximity to other locations. I didn't exactly attend Thunder by the Bay. After going to a lackluster event up my way, some gals I'd met at a previous event, and I headed downtown to see if there was anything a bit more exciting going on. We were way over dress for TOB, and stood out terribly, we were headed to the meat marget, I mean Mattison's bar and grill, they had a nice band playing and the area did seem a lot livelier and more fun for people not ready to settle in at 8 or 9 pm.

Did you get downtown for the all day/night long New Year's Eve celebration culminating in the Pineapple drop? Have you heard or been to Vinyl Music Festival? Google Vinyl Music Festival 2011...last year, VMF had the Sarasota Auditorium open until 2 a.m.....Maybe you've heard of the Sarasota Film Festival? The Hub? Third Thursdays at Ringling? First Fridays at Lakewood Ranch & Downtown on Palm Avenue? I'm sure there's a plethoria of events I've totally not included in this short blip....Have you been here long and/or where from?

Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Did you get downtown for the all day/night long New Year's Eve celebration culminating in the Pineapple drop? Have you heard or been to Vinyl Music Festival? Google Vinyl Music Festival 2011...last year, VMF had the Sarasota Auditorium open until 2 a.m.....Maybe you've heard of the Sarasota Film Festival? The Hub? Third Thursdays at Ringling? First Fridays at Lakewood Ranch & Downtown on Palm Avenue? I'm sure there's a plethoria of events I've totally not included in this short blip....Have you been here long and/or where from?
I hope you don't think I'm talking of the whole Sarasota area, I was just talking my little corner of Gulf Gate Villiage after dark. Unfortunately, I stayed in this area for the advertised Boar's Head event. The event was pleasant enough, just not my cup of tea. One of my friends was visiting from Tampa and she was nice enough not to curse me out for not planning out our evening better. She could have driven us anywhere. To think, I thought I was doing her a favor. Hmphf. But, we made the best of it. There was some excitement, we thought we were about to be jumped by some locals over some drunken guy. Oh what a night.

OK, don't an eye roll people, I moved here from NC, have lived in Fl before. I'm originally from NY, but a little bit of a southern girl at heart (well I used to think so). Born in Brooklyn but I grew up in the burbs, so I'm used to the quiet after dark, but I was always able to escape to where the fun is. Not as easy for me nowadays. I'm older and thought I was ready to just sit back and watch, but evidently still too much juice left in my blood.

There's really nothing wrong with my area, it's more self impossed frustration due to my own limitations, all the fun is just a 10 to 15 minute ride away, but I am forbidden from driving, d(more my choice due to the fact it would only be somewhat safe if I were allowed to drive at a pace of 15 mph. So unless you are planning to do a drive by on your way to the fun, I haven't much choice but to bi _ _h about the area.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 AM

You need to get downtown for events. Lots of information on Facebook; get connected. I've lived in NYC & from Detroit; SRQ is the bomb!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
You need to get downtown for events. Lots of information on Facebook; get connected. I've lived in NYC & from Detroit; SRQ is the bomb!
I fully intend to. Friends will be visiting from New Jersey and Tampa end of month, I'll be sure to head to the downtown areas, this time around.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I fully intend to. Friends will be visiting from New Jersey and Tampa end of month, I'll be sure to head to the downtown areas, this time around.
You need to come out with me!!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
You need to come out with me!!
Sounds like a plan.

Last edited by TRosa; 01-13-2011 at 11:45 AM..

Old 01-19-2011, 03:23 PM

4 posts, read 7,240 times
What about for family? Alot of nightlife would is not that big of priority for me as being a single parent I dont have alot of time for that.... I want safe area not too far from beach and some shops. I do not mind driving 30 or so minutes to beach it...So I need safe and reasonable.
Apartment- condo rental etc...Not looking to buy at first or for at least a year .

Old 01-19-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABSJOSE View Post
What about for family? Alot of nightlife would is not that big of priority for me as being a single parent I dont have alot of time for that.... I want safe area not too far from beach and some shops. I do not mind driving 30 or so minutes to beach it...So I need safe and reasonable.
Apartment- condo rental etc...Not looking to buy at first or for at least a year .
Rent first 4 sure; learn the town & then decide where to settle. There's great things happening for the children in this town as well! Check out Paul Gruber's After School Film Camp for one (google)!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:46 PM

9 posts, read 16,662 times
we're buying a house near southside village if you fancy renting for a year until you get to know the area. it's just south of downtown, close to siesta as well

pm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area