U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:19 PM

25 posts, read 162,288 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

Well...we've decided to take our long weekend trip to Sarasota instead of the east coast. Mainly because we're just too excited about Sarasota and can't seem to get it off our minds. All of the other areas haven't captured our attention and peaked our excitement like it has.

We're mainly visiting to see the general area, but if time allows, we want to tour some of the neighborhoods and search for homes for rent.

But of course, we don't want to wind up in the bad neighborhoods. So, instead of asking where all the good areas are at in Sarasota, where do we not want to end up renting at?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 05:22 AM

4,850 posts, read 13,468,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToFlorida84 View Post
Hi guys,

Well...we've decided to take our long weekend trip to Sarasota instead of the east coast. Mainly because we're just too excited about Sarasota and can't seem to get it off our minds. All of the other areas haven't captured our attention and peaked our excitement like it has.

We're mainly visiting to see the general area, but if time allows, we want to tour some of the neighborhoods and search for homes for rent.

But of course, we don't want to wind up in the bad neighborhoods. So, instead of asking where all the good areas are at in Sarasota, where do we not want to end up renting at?

Thanks!
You would not want to live in a neighborhood you are not comfortable in. This, again, is a loaded question & is called "steering."

Consider your budget, your needs & proximity to your interestests be it beach, malls, schools or work. Enlist a qualified real estate agent.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,974,434 times
would kind of be what you consider a "bad area". everyones tolerance is different.

one might not want to live with gang bangers walking around with their pants on the ground. another might not like nightly gunfire. while another might not like yuppies with starbucks coffee cups and foo foo dogs in strollers.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 AM

913 posts, read 2,245,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToFlorida84 View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks!
Understand that a realtor can not answer that question. When we were looking for a condo we wanted to be a nice area and within 15 minutes of the beach. We mostly limited our search to south of Bee Ridge. The only thing we looked at north of Bee Ridge was close to Lakewood Ranch, but decided it was too far from the beach. Of course, it all depends upon your budget.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,144,921 times
I've been here for 26 years and know exactly what sub-divisions, neighborhoods, areas, zip codes where I would not live. But because of how litigious and politically correct our society has become, I or no one else will reveil information to you. You'll have to visit locations and do your own research to form an opinion as to the area where you would or wouldn't feel comfortable living. [some areas will take only 5 minutes]

Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 PM

53 posts, read 118,920 times
There are many varied areas like people mention to rent from in Sarasota, just depends on what area you want to be close to I think. I live near downtown and alot of the rentals are reasonable. Some people may classify me as "living in or near "the hood", but I like it! Mind you, we have a lot of friendly neighbors with kids and alot of people ride their bikes to work or down to the park or to the Y. You may like areas with newer homes like Lakewood Ranch, but you are going to be farther from the beach. Do you have kids? Where will you be working? Do you want to be near certain stores? There are alot of things to consider, but SRQ has alot to offer! Good luck on your search!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 AM

245 posts, read 726,995 times
For me, the issue is crime and crime rates. Last time i checked, it wasn't illegal to research crime rates for each geographic area. If you frame the issue this way to a realtor, you may be able to get some help. If not, you'll have to investigate crime rates yourself. There are web sites which list crime rates by zip code. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:23 AM

8,551 posts, read 8,792,088 times
If you are willing to take the time, there are threads on here that would give you quite a bit of insite as to what neighborhoods to steer clear of. Those threads helped me quite a bit when I was trying to decide what areas to avoid. might have to look some 15 pages back, but it's worth it.

I do have to say, I wish I had listened a little more and picked an area closer to downtown, I will confess, I'm getting just a wee bit bored with this area's lack of cultural offerings, but if your a lush, or ready for the grave or really just happy to spend most of your time home with the the ball and chain oh and don't forget the rugrats, this, (Gulf Gate), is the area to be. kidding people, um kinda.

Sorry, for going off track, just realized what I was missing after spending some time downtown this past weekend and also, from being chilled to the bone due to this cold spell. But seriously, there are some very helpful heated threads on areas and crime and quality of life. You'll just have to spend some time looking through the older threads.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 AM

4,850 posts, read 13,468,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
If you are willing to take the time, there are threads on here that would give you quite a bit of insite as to what neighborhoods to steer clear of. Those threads helped me quite a bit when I was trying to decide what areas to avoid. might have to look some 15 pages back, but it's worth it.

I do have to say, I wish I had listened a little more and picked an area closer to downtown, I will confess, I'm getting just a wee bit bored with this area's lack of cultural offerings, but if your a lush, or ready for the grave or really just happy to spend most of your time home with the the ball and chain oh and don't forget the rugrats, this, (Gulf Gate), is the area to be. kidding people, um kinda.

Sorry, for going off track, just realized what I was missing after spending some time downtown this past weekend and also, from being chilled to the bone due to this cold spell. But seriously, there are some very helpful heated threads on areas and crime and quality of life. You'll just have to spend some time looking through the older threads.
Please explain "lack of cultural offerings."
Did you like Thunder by the Bay?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 AM

25 posts, read 162,288 times
Thank you for the replies!

Sorry, I've been real busy these last couple of days and I haven't had the time to check the forums.

As far as my meaning of "bad" areas, I'm referring to crime. Nothing else. You know the feeling when you go through a neighborhood and feel the need to lock your doors? That's the kind of area we want to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area