Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:13 PM

29 posts, read 54,723 times

Advertisements

I'm searching for a great place to relocate. I've lived in the midwest my entire life, but have always desired to move to Florida. I left my role as principal three years ago to serve as an educational consultant. In this role, I fly to various parts of the country, so living near a great airport or several good airports is a must.

Last summer I went to the Jacksonville area. I found a great neighborhood and a fabulous builder in St Johns County near Ponte Vedra. However, I've been a bit reluctant to make that move due to the fact that Jacksonville's airport isn't the greatest and Jacksonville itself seems to lack a variety of quaint shops, beach towns, etc. Basically, it doesn't have that "Florida feel".

In February I'm taking a quick trip to Sarasota/Bradenton to take a peek at this area. My thinking is that I've got several airports to choose from as well as the Florida feel.

My question is about housing. I'm wanting to build (have built two homes prior to this). I've been looking in the Lakewood Ranch area (Country Club East) and have been intrigued by TruLiving and Gibraltar. My range is around 450,000. Would love a pool. A home around 3000 sq feet is desirable.

Any help you can offer would be most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 05:05 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
if you are having a custom home built $150 a square foot should give you a nice standard. not sure what a lot will cost in LWR though !!

i viewed a potential purchase in Trillium last week which was stunning and within your budget

Old 01-13-2011, 01:06 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,760 times
When you visited Jax did you not see St Augustine the nations oldest city and th eJx and St Augustine beaches. The airport is bigger than SRX and you have Orlando 90 mins away
Having lived in both I know where I am now is the better place for my needs.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:21 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingnearthebeach View Post
I'm searching for a great place to relocate. I've lived in the midwest my entire life, but have always desired to move to Florida. I left my role as principal three years ago to serve as an educational consultant. In this role, I fly to various parts of the country, so living near a great airport or several good airports is a must.

Last summer I went to the Jacksonville area. I found a great neighborhood and a fabulous builder in St Johns County near Ponte Vedra. However, I've been a bit reluctant to make that move due to the fact that Jacksonville's airport isn't the greatest and Jacksonville itself seems to lack a variety of quaint shops, beach towns, etc. Basically, it doesn't have that "Florida feel".

In February I'm taking a quick trip to Sarasota/Bradenton to take a peek at this area. My thinking is that I've got several airports to choose from as well as the Florida feel. South of Tampa, is warmer, and you get more palm trees and flowering plants that make it nice all year around. North of Tampa, you don't get it quite so much because you do get more frost and freezing that negatively effects things for you. So - keep that in mind.

My question is about housing. I'm wanting to build (have built two homes prior to this). I've been looking in the Lakewood Ranch area (Country Club East) and have been intrigued by TruLiving and Gibraltar. My range is around 450,000. Would love a pool. A home around 3000 sq feet is desirable.

Any help you can offer would be most appreciated!
I think you are right about all the things that Sarasota has to offer. Jobs all over are tough to find - that everyone will confirm.

Right now, it doesn't make economic sense to build because houses are selling for less than cost. It makes more sense to buy what you want - codes are different here as well - so you have a learning curve. But, since things sell for less than cost (about 75% of cost) it makes no sense at the moment to build - you won't get the best deal. You may want to consider buying and renovating.

You can get a nice new pool and a lanai cage for around $25-$35K. It depends on what you want, and if you want a heater. I would continue to explore - there are tons of great areas over here on the SWFL coast.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:49 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I think you are right about all the things that Sarasota has to offer. Jobs all over are tough to find - that everyone will confirm.

Right now, it doesn't make economic sense to build because houses are selling for less than cost. It makes more sense to buy what you want - codes are different here as well - so you have a learning curve. But, since things sell for less than cost (about 75% of cost) it makes no sense at the moment to build - you won't get the best deal. You may want to consider buying and renovating.

You can get a nice new pool and a lanai cage for around $25-$35K. It depends on what you want, and if you want a heater. I would continue to explore - there are tons of great areas over here on the SWFL coast.
I would have to agree with this^^^. For the most part it doesn't make sense to build. The foreclosure prices usually have building beat by a mile.

Living in Sarasota you would have Tampa, Sarasota and Ft Myers airports all very close. I think almost all major airlines fly out of one of them.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:59 PM

29 posts, read 54,723 times
Thanks everyone. This information is helpful. Big House, I agree - the St. Augustine area is really beautiful, BUT that part of Florida just doesn't feel like Florida.

Hmmm, now I am confused about the building vs. buying. Perhaps I'll have to check that out when I visit. It would be my first home that I've bought that I've not built. Could be an interesting option.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:22 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
I've had a few builder contracts over the past year. I won't disagree about the resale prices but I would not say that it makes no sense to build. When you build, you get the lot you want, the floor plan you want, the amenities you want, the features you want, the cabinets you want, the counters you want, the pool, etc. You are only limited by your budget. In CCE, you can build for your price range. In fact, one high end builder, Cannon, is building a smaller, lower priced product but they offer the same quality and use the same trades that they use in their larger homes. I have to tell you, though, I have never heard of Truliving until you mentioned their name! I asked an associate and they never heard of them, either. I'm not saying that you shouldn't consider them but I'd be appropriately careful.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:21 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I've had a few builder contracts over the past year. I won't disagree about the resale prices but I would not say that it makes no sense to build. When you build, you get the lot you want, the floor plan you want, the amenities you want, the features you want, the cabinets you want, the counters you want, the pool, etc. You are only limited by your budget. In CCE, you can build for your price range. In fact, one high end builder, Cannon, is building a smaller, lower priced product but they offer the same quality and use the same trades that they use in their larger homes. I have to tell you, though, I have never heard of Truliving until you mentioned their name! I asked an associate and they never heard of them, either. I'm not saying that you shouldn't consider them but I'd be appropriately careful.

True, but if you like the floor plan of a home, and the lot, of course and you like doing construction, you can alter everything and add all the things you like. Taking advantage of the situation of buying below cost, and prioritizing the selections you want. I and many of my friends have done that. I believe that with the budget he has he can do anything he wants and will be pleased with the results though. It is a buyers market - that is for sure.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:29 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
I guess I can see it both ways. I tend to be one of those who likes the idea of having everything new with a warranty the way I want it but I've purchased resales, too. My Dad was a builder and I my thinking was probably colored that way a bit some where along the way as I was growing up. Oooh...shiney.... :-)

Old 01-14-2011, 01:42 PM

810 posts, read 1,181,396 times
I've done both. I've built new and bought resale. There are definite pros and cons to both. With new construction, like BBronston pointed out, you get everything just how you want it. No settling (except, as he pointed out, due to budget). With resale, though, you get certain features not available when building new: window treatments (which can really add up) mature landscaping, and if you hit it right a prior owner that has lots of great upgrades that you really aren't paying that much extra for (like ceiling fans, closet organizers, etc) It's also a matter of when you wish to move into your new home. Building doesn't usually happen overnight. And there are so many decisions. Not everyone likes that. I've had success both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area