Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 PM

169 posts, read 396,477 times

Advertisements

We have been here about 3 years now and it has turned out well. Though of course our house has been greatly depreciated in price.
Still we like where we live,warm weather and no finacial problems for any of us in our Family.

Yet,I could never feel comfortable advising anyone to move here,with the curret conditions that exist in Florida right now.
Most of my neighbours,own their own businesses and many work from home.
Some have seen their businesses go broke.

My advise would be to stay put and ride out the storm until things improve.
If anyone can find employment before coming down and have worked all the figures,then go for it but please don't gamble on moving to Florida.

This is not a put down of Florida,as said we are happy here but things are quite grim here as far as the job market goes and the wages here are very low compared to the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 PM

93 posts, read 150,304 times
also need lot less money then up north

Old 02-02-2011, 05:43 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsa View Post
hmmm...not sure about needing a lot less $ down here, but then what do I know? Been down here way to long for that comparison....

Old 02-02-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:

Totally disagree with this statement.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:10 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,907 times
i can agree that it is far less costly here than up north. coming up on a year out of nj so i would say that i have a pretty fresh comparison.

no income tax here.
property tax far less.
utilities far less as there is minimal need for winter heat. just as much of an ac season up there as here but electric is cheaper.
there are far more activities here that would carry an entrance fee up there.
our car insurance is about half.
and while it is personal choice, there is not the pressure to buy "stuff" to keep up with the neighbors.

only thing i see that is more so far is gasoline and thats only 20 cents a gallon.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:58 AM

93 posts, read 150,304 times
taxes bigtime less here and also no state tax also try to go to jfk to pick up somebody at the airport' or go to tampa upthere they shake you down whereever you turn

Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 AM

810 posts, read 1,181,396 times
It's a lot cheaper to buy bathing suits and flip flops for the summer than it is to buy winter coats, boots, hats and scarves!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 AM

164 posts, read 356,071 times
I'm sure it is alot less than the cost of living in the northeast, but it is not less for those of us coming from the midwest. Car insurance (alot higher), groceries, gasoline, and utilities are all more $$ from what we have observed from our trips down there and from what my brother has experienced since moving there last year from the Detroit suburb of Troy. And, even though housing prices have plummeted in the Sarasota area, they have here, too, so housing is still less expensive in my area. But the sunshine equity more than makes up for it!!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 AM

879 posts, read 1,953,212 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
hmmm...not sure about needing a lot less $ down here, but then what do I know? Been down here way to long for that comparison....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaa View Post
Totally disagree with this statement.
There are different parts of the Northeast. Compared to where I came from, and others from NYC and the surrounding metro area agree, FL is a mega-bargain. Compared to upstate NY? I dunno, probably not as much.

i save alot of $ on income tax, don't have to buy a beach pass, services are cheaper (ie: vet is half the price, my verizon triple pay is cheaper and gives me more here, etc), no oil deliveries, no gas bill and when I buy a house I know I will save on property tax (i was paying $10k+ !!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
It's a lot cheaper to buy bathing suits and flip flops for the summer than it is to buy winter coats, boots, hats and scarves!
this i don't really agree with, having had to buy both up north. (yes, we did have 95-100 degree hazy, hot & humid summers on long island!) but maybe i am just a better winter gear shopper, I found that stuff lasted more seasons that the summer stuff.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 PM

If you don't have a Job,then how cheap is Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area