U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 AM

11 posts, read 19,817 times

Advertisements

Family of three (child 6) moving to St. Pete area. Husband transferring with Veteran's Administration Office there. PLEASE help us figure out the best area to live in for our family with a young child. We want good schools, good neighborhoods, younger to mid-age families, things to do. With not knowing the state/area at all, we're hoping some Florida natives can give us the best advice. We will be moving late May/early June.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,847,634 times
St. Pete would be a pretty good commute from any of the other areas you mentioned....about 1 hour each way or more depending on traffic. Are you sure you want to look in the Sarasota area? St. Pete has beautiful areas as well.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:12 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,847,634 times
You should be in the Tampa forum for help in that area. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:14 PM

I thought the commute was much less, when I did a search of driving times. Hmmm, no don't want to commute an hour. What about St. Pete schools, though? I see everyone raving about Sarasota schools and it is very important to us. How does the size of St. Pete compare to Sarasota? And does anyone know what Lakewood Ranch is??? Thanks!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 PM

913 posts, read 2,253,675 times
Generally, the further north in Pinellas County the better. There are a few "pockets" here and there in the southern end of the county, but not many. Pass-a-Grill, Seminole and Tierra Verde come to mind. I think the VA center is in Seminole, so that could work. Driving anywhere in that county at rush hour is a nightmare, though.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 PM

St. Pete is THAT big? I didn't think it was. We're used to St. Louis traffic, don't like it, but used to it. Also used to having to drive to get anywhere fun or just to work. Only one of us would be commuting to St. Pete. I won't be working right off the bat. Where would you live with a small child going into 1st grade? If you wanted a gated community, a pool, somewhat close to the beach, GOOD schools, some racial diversity.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:00 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,305,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzm1555 View Post
St. Pete is THAT big? I didn't think it was. We're used to St. Louis traffic, don't like it, but used to it. Also used to having to drive to get anywhere fun or just to work. Only one of us would be commuting to St. Pete. I won't be working right off the bat. Where would you live with a small child going into 1st grade? If you wanted a gated community, a pool, somewhat close to the beach, GOOD schools, some racial diversity.
St. Pete is a different animal than the Sarasota Bradenton area. There are no real rural areas in Pinellas county, but if you go far enough north (into the neighboring counties you can find some.)

While it's not New York, it has a much more big city feel, in that it's packed solid from wall to wall.

To give you an idea, Manatee (Bradenton / Lakewood Ranch) and Sarasota counties cover some 1400 square miles (although much of it is farmland), and contain about 700k people. Pinellas county covers 280 square miles and contains 900k + people

Depending upon where you are commuting to in St Pete, and where you were to live in Manatee County, you can make it in as little as 20-30 minutes each day. For instance from Lakewood Ranch to downtown St Pete is probably a 30 minute drive, if everything goes smooth.

You really have to visit the area, and see how everything feels for you.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM

913 posts, read 2,253,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzm1555 View Post

If I had to live in Pinellas County, I would try Seminole. But if it was me, I would look into Lakewood Ranch.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:44 PM

Thanks! Great info. We may not get the opportunity to actually visit before we make the plunge, so researching as much as possible. I've read so much about Lakewood Ranch. Is there a lot of rental property there at this time? Do you know what school district it is in...like in Sarasota school district? I heard they have great schools, or do they have their own district? I think we'll stear clear of St. Pete...only for work. If Lakewood Ranch is in it's own town...is it or is it actually in Sarasota? I'm so confused. Do you think for a one child family, Lakewood Ranch area or Sarasota would be better? I think Lakewood is further from the beach, but even at 30 minutes to the beach, it still beats 3 days to the beach from where we are! LOL!!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:45 PM

5,651 posts, read 10,016,334 times
It might help to know where his office will be located. I lived in the Lakewood Ranch area (before there was a LWR, too) and drove to St. Pete every day for work. It was a very reasonable drive but I was located at Central and 54th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area