U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:31 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,937,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.montalvo View Post
Florida has long been a retirement destination for many across the country: it's warm and personal income isn't taxed.

But is it overrated?

I'm a national reporter looking for someone who left their state to retire to Florida, but are pretty unsatisfied with the move. It could be that local taxes are too high, or something about property taxes, or even quality of life (maybe you found you're too far from your other family).

If this is you, and you don't mind sharing your experience with us, please send me a message as soon as possible. (As usual, I'm on deadline!).

Thanks!
-David
It depends. For a NYer or someone from Boston paying $12,000 a year in taxes then FL is a bargain. For someone like myself paying under $500 a year for taxes, FL isn't a good deal - as far as taxes go. We're having some second thoughts about moving there, 1000 miles away from family and friends. We're now considering being snow-birds.

Last edited by =^..^=; 01-25-2011 at 11:39 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 AM

8 posts, read 12,869 times
For most people it's overrated. 55 places as this excellent article on "fullback" retirees including those who retired to Florida only to return to their original place of residence.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:51 AM

641 posts, read 1,397,122 times
That article about summarizes some things I've heard from people who moved back up north.

Another article I read in the NY Times several years ago mentioned one more reason. People move to Fla when they retire and are still relatively healthy. They then get older, into their 70's and 80's, and have health problems. Their kids say if they want them to help out the parents must move back up north, because the kids cannot leave their jobs and come to Fla. to take care of them.

Basically I think if you have a lot of connections, kids, friends, etc. and like your old community, moving may turn out to be a big mistake.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 AM

17,815 posts, read 24,115,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater Homes View Post
I agree; why search out the negative? I'm sick of the negativity portrayed NON-STOP in the media. Get creative and do something different for your piece; something POSITIVE!

Why is it negative? It is an honest question.

I can tell you one thing seniors need to be concerned about is the lackluster health care in FL.

The combination of FL not attracting the best doctors and the overwhelming number of people who retire here make for a bad combination when someone starts having serious health issues.

Another issue many retirees don't think about is what happens when they have been down here a few years get ill and all the family is 1500 miles(or more) away.

They retire at 65 in fairly good health and then they're 76 and have serious issues and no family around. This is a very common problem.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 AM

17,815 posts, read 24,115,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
That article about summarizes some things I've heard from people who moved back up north.

Another article I read in the NY Times several years ago mentioned one more reason. People move to Fla when they retire and are still relatively healthy. They then get older, into their 70's and 80's, and have health problems. Their kids say if they want them to help out the parents must move back up north, because the kids cannot leave their jobs and come to Fla. to take care of them.

Basically I think if you have a lot of connections, kids, friends, etc. and like your old community, moving may turn out to be a big mistake.

Exactly. And people who retire to a new state(in this case Florida) make more "acquaintances" than they do real friends.

When they retire and are still healthy there are people to go out to dinner with and the movies and play golf.

But when problems come up regarding health, good luck with the "friends".

They will disappear.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post

Yes this is what happened to several older couples we know. They ended up moving back to TN. Fortunately before the price of homes there crashed.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. And people who retire to a new state(in this case Florida) make more "acquaintances" than they do real friends.

When they retire and are still healthy there are people to go out to dinner with and the movies and play golf.

But when problems come up regarding health, good luck with the "friends".

They will disappear.
Yes! We've heard this SAME THING from people who left FL and moved back home and from several still living there. I've heard some depressing things this past year but am grateful people have been honest with me. As for friends... the friends you make there are very superficial I was told. Fair weather friends. Nothing like the ones you leave behind that you've known for years. After awhile they felt very isolated and the lack of connections had a depressing effect on them.

Only one couple we know is happy there in FL but they're wealthy and still in excellent health. They're constantly visiting family up north. And they're able to flee the heat and humidity in summer by traveling at that time. The paid help does everything but wipe their behinds. Few of us are in that situation.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:05 PM

3,178 posts, read 5,527,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Only one couple we know is happy there in FL but they're wealthy and still in excellent health. They're constantly visiting family up north. And they're able to flee the heat and humidity in summer by traveling at that time. The paid help does everything but wipe their behinds. Few of us are in that situation.
We are an early-30s working couple (certainly not wealthy) that are VERY happy here!
We miss people incredibly, but we can fly non-stop from Punta Gorda to MI for under $200 RT (sometimes under $100!), so we go back a couple times a year, and friends/family come here a lot. I think we have people here at least one week each month!
It's not for everyone, but for us we thought, WHY wait until retirement??

Old 01-26-2011, 08:06 PM

641 posts, read 1,397,122 times
I think those that move when younger and still working have the best chance at being happy with it. It's easier to adjust when you have work and kids as a way of interacting and meeting people. When you think about it, most retired people have made friends in their old communities over a span of 30 years or so. It's tough to recreate that in a few years after moving someplace new, especially if you aren't working.

I already have some friends in Florida, so my only concern in moving here would be the healthcare. I know what I have up north, but I don't know what I'd have in Florida.

Also, I wonder if medicare may be overburdened with senior baby boomers in Florida in future years, and what ramifications that could have.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 PM

440 posts, read 1,000,222 times
Unfortunately, it's very true that as we age and develop medical issues we want close family around. My inlaws were very happy until my MIL developed Alzheimers. My inlaws needed us to help manage their affairs and moved back up north. However they were very happy in Florida from age 55-82- that's a pretty good run.They also found that the close friends and relatives in Fl started dying off or were moving closer to their families. It was not so much superficial relationships. I look at it as more a life stage that we all unfortunately go through and does not reflect negatively on Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area