U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:43 AM

4,857 posts, read 13,514,777 times

Advertisements

It's relative. Having been in this area for almost 20 years (moved here @ age 29), I've made wonderful friends who aren't superficial or just acquaintances. Got involved with the Sarasota community when I left Anna Maria/Bradenton & didn't lose touch with friends from there either. There's nothing like getting involved with your community no matter where you rest your hat to make friends who have at least one common interest that you have & then your ability to meet people just snowballs. If you sit home, people are not going to be beating down your door. If you don't take chances, you'll never know about other places, people & things. Some people are happy living in one place their entire life. It's all up to the individual to make their own happiness in their own space.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 AM

169 posts, read 379,049 times
If Seniors have Family,Friends up North and no-one here in Florida,Arizona etc. I think it is a HUGE mistake to move away to living in a place where you have no-one. Loss of Family being the prime reason not to move. That is too big a trade off for warm weather!!!

If you can afford it,by all means spend some Winter months in a warmer climate but DON"T MOVE AWAY FROM FAMILY!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 AM

3,178 posts, read 5,532,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaa View Post
If Seniors have Family,Friends up North and no-one here in Florida,Arizona etc. I think it is a HUGE mistake to move away to living in a place where you have no-one. Loss of Family being the prime reason not to move. That is too big a trade off for warm weather!!!

If you can afford it,by all means spend some Winter months in a warmer climate but DON"T MOVE AWAY FROM FAMILY!!!
...Unless you don't like your family Not all families get along great or have that much in common.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM

913 posts, read 2,253,588 times
Quote:

Or you can do what we did. We bought our retirement condo a year and a half ago. We are at least ten years from retirement. We are making new friends in the area before we retire.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 AM

169 posts, read 379,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
...Unless you don't like your family Not all families get along great or have that much in common.

There are dysfunctional people all over but I have to think the vast majority of people,love their Children and G/Children,which would cover a large % of Seniors,who may think about retiring here.

The warm weather isn't worth the trade off IMO.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM

17,815 posts, read 24,136,726 times
Quote:
There are dysfunctional people all over but I have to think the vast majority of people,love their Children and G/Children,which would cover a large % of Seniors,who may think about retiring here.

The warm weather isn't worth the trade off IMO.

Exactly right. I know some very sad scenarios down here where you have elderly people living alone who shouldn't be.

People really need to think when they relocate away from long time friends and family.

It's fine when everyone is healthy, but when illness and old age start it can disrupt many lives.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
It's relative. Having been in this area for almost 20 years (moved here @ age 29), I've made wonderful friends who aren't superficial or just acquaintances. Got involved with the Sarasota community when I left Anna Maria/Bradenton & didn't lose touch with friends from there either. There's nothing like getting involved with your community no matter where you rest your hat to make friends who have at least one common interest that you have & then your ability to meet people just snowballs. If you sit home, people are not going to be beating down your door. If you don't take chances, you'll never know about other places, people & things. Some people are happy living in one place their entire life. It's all up to the individual to make their own happiness in their own space.
You moved here at age 29, and you're about to turn 50.

So you're FL experience is completely different from someone who got here at 65 and is now 75 and in poor health.

That has nothing to do with people who retire here and then get sick and have no family around.

Your post is like those who tell someone who got laid off ago"oh there are tons of jobs listed only lazy people can't find work".

Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,953,489 times
Default Different generaation........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
We are an early-30s working couple (certainly not wealthy) that are VERY happy here!
We miss people incredibly, but we can fly non-stop from Punta Gorda to MI for under $200 RT (sometimes under $100!), so we go back a couple times a year, and friends/family come here a lot. I think we have people here at least one week each month!
It's not for everyone, but for us we thought, WHY wait until retirement??
You're talking about a different generation. You go to work every day, are around people all day - and so are kept busy. You probably look forward to the peace and quiet of home after work. Your health is most likely still good. I'm talking about retirees. Also, do you have any family there? That can also make a big difference.

How do you get such a cheap rate? What airline is that? I can't fly RT to NYC for under $500/$600 and it's not as far. Have rates come down 50% to 75%? Tell me how you can fly that distance (FL to MI) RT for $200 or less. Then when I add the hotel bill and other expenses I'm looking at $1500+ easily. I don't think, from what I've read and heard, that a few trips home a year will fill people's need for family and friends. But then there are introverts.

Do you have children with you? Children can make a big difference and help parents connect. They're also company. Friends and family I was told may visit at first, but that drops off. It doesn't continue. When I first moved here to TN I too had company from NY. Both friends and family. That slowly dropped off to nothing (death, ill health, cost, time and distance, just drifting apart) so I believe what they told me. Again, you're a different generation/age group than retirees. Your friends, cousins and Aunts and Uncles are still young and able to travel easily. A retirees family are in another category. AND, how long are you living there?

Most of the friends I had here, almost all "outsiders," finally did leave and move back where they came from. Some giving up good jobs simply due to homesickness, the social isolation and in the end loneliness and lack of a feeling of community. The same things I heard from Tennesseans who moved to FL, then came back after a few years.

I know if we had children to bring with us we would feel differently. Or if we already had family there. But we're two seniors with health issues and would be moving down alone. The only family, and even older couple, are in Ocala and that's not the area we would want.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
You're talking about a different generation. You go to work every day, are around people all day - and so are kept busy. You probably look forward to the peace and quiet of home after work. Your health is most likely still good. I'm talking about retirees. Also, do you have any family there? That can also make a big difference.

How do you get such a cheap rate? What airline is that? I can't fly RT to NYC for under $500/$600 and it's not as far. Have rates come down 50% to 75%? Tell me how you can fly that distance (FL to MI) RT for $200 or less. Then when I add the hotel bill and other expenses I'm looking at $1500+ easily. I don't think, from what I've read and heard, that a few trips home a year will fill people's need for family and friends. But then there are introverts.

Do you have children with you? Children can make a big difference and help parents connect. They're also company. Friends and family I was told may visit at first, but that drops off. It doesn't continue. When I first moved here to TN I too had company from NY. Both friends and family. That slowly dropped off to nothing (death, ill health, cost, time and distance, just drifting apart) so I believe what they told me. Again, you're a different generation/age group than retirees. Your friends, cousins and Aunts and Uncles are still young and able to travel easily. A retirees family are in another category. AND, how long are you living there?

Most of the friends I had here, almost all "outsiders," finally did leave and move back where they came from. Some giving up good jobs simply due to homesickness, the social isolation and in the end loneliness and lack of a feeling of community. The same things I heard from Tennesseans who moved to FL, then came back after a few years.

I know if we had children to bring with us we would feel differently. Or if we already had family there. But we're two seniors with health issues and would be moving down alone. The only family, and even older couple, are in Ocala and that's not the area we would want.
You have to understand many on this board have an "agenda". They don't want to hear any realistic situations in regards to living in FL.

They're trying to sell houses or have some connection to the real estate market.

This is very real and serious issue.

But they have to try and "hijack" the thread.

This is about people who retired to FL, not someone who moved here in their 20s or 30s.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:10 PM

3,178 posts, read 5,532,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post

To answer your questions:
1) I work from home, so it is peace & quiet all day until my wife and child get home
2) No, not a single family member here. They are all up north. Miss them, but we use Skype a lot and still see them a lot.
3) We have TWO discount airlines that fly out of Punta Gorda non-stop to MI. Are you calling me a liar?? I've flown them probably 20 times. I think I know what I'm talking about. Allegiant and Direct Air. Plus there's Air Tran out of RSW-also reletively cheap
I've said it a hundred times. It's not for everyone. But why not give "change" and chance? A pessimist might say you can't regret something you don't try.
Oh, and for seain dublin, not sure who your "agenda" comment is directed at, but I personally have none. I'm just here to provide unbiased (usually) info to those who ask, and maybe learn something along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area