U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 01:30 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,540,933 times

Advertisements

OR do what we've done and make friends before you get to retire that are already THERE! We can't wait to move down! We have many friends in PC, PGI, NP already! And I can vouch (like it's necessary...) for Harbor Hoppers flight $$, we've done the same thing, from Rockford, IL on Direct Air.
As far as our family, both my sisters have moved away, our daughter has moved to NYC, the only family I have left in Wisconsin is my mother. My mother in law is gone, and we're not close with my husband's side of the family. So...why not???
Rate this post positively

Old 01-27-2011, 02:27 PM

913 posts, read 2,253,471 times
This not a big deal. Why all the accusations? We bought our retirement condo and plan to retire in ten years. If in twenty years we decide to sell and move somewhere else, well OK then. My wife and I have spent about three months a year in Florida since we were married fifteen years ago. I'm from Ohio and have few relatives. She is from KY and doesn't want to live around her relatives. We made what we think is the best decision for us. I feel pretty comfortable with our decision.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:33 PM

177 posts, read 660,069 times
We retired in 2009 and we are moving to Sun City Center this summer. Our reason for moving from South Carolina is that DW has health problems and can't take the winters in South Carolina. We don't have family in South Carolina so that is not an issue. Our children and grandchildren live in Illinois and Pennsylvania (both too cold). Most of my family lives in Wisconsin (also too cold) and most of DW's family lives in Arizona (too dry) or California (too expensive).

Old 01-27-2011, 02:56 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,085,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
Or you can do what we did. We bought our retirement condo a year and a half ago. We are at least ten years from retirement. We are making new friends in the area before we retire.
Although this is not for everyone, this is sort of what we have done. We bought our home a few years ago, and I rent it out to snowbirds, etc each season. I go down before and after and get it ready, etc. This has many good tax benefits. We have gotten to know our neighbors very well, and now our future is known.

Frank

Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,994,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaa View Post
If Seniors have Family,Friends up North and no-one here in Florida,Arizona etc. I think it is a HUGE mistake to move away to living in a place where you have no-one. Loss of Family being the prime reason not to move. That is too big a trade off for warm weather!!!

If you can afford it,by all means spend some Winter months in a warmer climate but DON"T MOVE AWAY FROM FAMILY!!!
You really hit the nail on the head with that.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 24,134,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
We retired in 2009 and we are moving to Sun City Center this summer. Our reason for moving from South Carolina is that DW has health problems and can't take the winters in South Carolina. We don't have family in South Carolina so that is not an issue. Our children and grandchildren live in Illinois and Pennsylvania (both too cold). Most of my family lives in Wisconsin (also too cold) and most of DW's family lives in Arizona (too dry) or California (too expensive).

Well a word of advice you better discuss a plan with your adult children in the event you or your wife get ill( not wishing this on you).

But having no family in FL can be very problematic when old age and health issues arise.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:19 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,952,254 times
Default They had close friends and relatives in Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
.....They also found that the close friends and relatives in Fl started dying off or were moving closer to their families......
Exactly.... in their case as you mentioned above, they had family and close friends there at first. They were not isolated, disconnected. They were not alone right from the start.

It's not a negative factor as I see it, just a fact of life that those moving to Fl *ALONE* are not all that happy. Those who moved here to TN alone were not all that happy either. When I lived in NYC a co-worker from IN was very depressed and talked about leaving her husband to go back home. He was transferred to NY and they were there alone. No children, family or friends.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:39 AM

Default Who watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Although this is not for everyone, this is sort of what we have done. We bought our home a few years ago, and I rent it out to snowbirds, etc each season. I go down before and after and get it ready, etc. This has many good tax benefits. We have gotten to know our neighbors very well, and now our future is known.

Frank
Who watches your property for you when you are not there? Who mows the lawn etc? Is it in a gated community?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 AM

Default health problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
If your wife has health problems, what will happen to her should you predecease her? What will she do there alone and in poor health? I hope she has a plan should that day ever come. Believe me on this.... you can't depend on friends and people from the church to step forward more than once or twice.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
OR do what we've done and make friends before you get to retire that are already THERE! We can't wait to move down! We have many friends in PC, PGI, NP already! And I can vouch (like it's necessary...) for Harbor Hoppers flight $$, we've done the same thing, from Rockford, IL on Direct Air.
As far as our family, both my sisters have moved away, our daughter has moved to NYC, the only family I have left in Wisconsin is my mother. My mother in law is gone, and we're not close with my husband's side of the family. So...why not???
What of us who are in our mid 60s and already retired? Where friends are concerned it's much easier for younger people who can snow-bird for years and perhaps make some friends (?) before moving there. But as someone already said here, these are mostly superficial friendships. More acquaintances that real friends. When the chips are down, they have a way of vanishing..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area