Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 22,421 times

Advertisements

Florida has long been a retirement destination for many across the country: it's warm and personal income isn't taxed.

But is it overrated?

I'm a national reporter looking for someone who left their state to retire to Florida, but are pretty unsatisfied with the move. It could be that local taxes are too high, or something about property taxes, or even quality of life (maybe you found you're too far from your other family).

If this is you, and you don't mind sharing your experience with us, please send me a message as soon as possible. (As usual, I'm on deadline!).

Thanks!
-David

Old 01-25-2011, 02:13 PM

93 posts, read 150,261 times
good luck with that one

Old 01-25-2011, 02:23 PM

879 posts, read 1,952,760 times
why are you setting out to write a negative article?

i'm not retired here but i can see the benefits (i just live here lol) . btw - being far from family isn't a FL specific problem.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:36 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,436 times
I agree; why search out the negative? I'm sick of the negativity portrayed NON-STOP in the media. Get creative and do something different for your piece; something POSITIVE!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 22,421 times
Hey - thanks for your question (and concern) about this being a negative portrayal. Indeed, it's not.

This is part of a broader story - but, as I've talked with people, the initial process of retirement sometimes is full of surprises, both positive and negative ones. Unfortunately I cannot ignore the negative ones, but I haven't ignored the positive ones either.

If someone does want to share their story, however, please feel free to message me directly via this website's e-mail address.

Best!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:42 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
David,
First, welcome to the forum.
I am not a person who can help you with your article, as I still live in NY. I bought a home in Florida about 5 years ago, and plan on retiring and moving there full time sometime this year.

I'm sure amongst the many folks that retire to Florida daily, you will find some unhappy folks who will fit your article's needs. I would think they are in the minority.
I suppose you could find almost anyone with almost any strange opinion....but it would not make their viewpoint a correct one or a majority one......

Frank

Old 01-25-2011, 03:44 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,628 times
I'll answer in "public". While I can't argue with FL's wonderful winter climate and I doubt I'd like to be anywhere else this time of year, we moved here full time after being snowbirds for a few years and I regret it very much. I qualify my story by saying it is only MY story, My point of view, of course and I know there will be others who will not feel the same as I do.

Yes, I do miss my family terribly. A two week visit is not like being there for the everyday, spontaneous simple things like a Sunday dinner, a grandchild's birthday party, a pageant, a baseball game, a baby shower, wedding preparations, or a family outing such as a pumpkin picking excursion. I also find I am very frustrated by not being there when my family needs me on short notice, for example: emergency babysitting, to pick up a grandchild from school unexpectedly, an emergency room visit, or to lend a hand or an ear when my children suddenly need one for some unexpected reason, just to be by their side. These things also apply to lifelong friends that I miss and can no longer be there for.

By the same token my husband and I have both suffered unexpected health problems since we moved away from home and we have no one but each other to depend on for help during those times. Yes, there are new friends and neighbors, but by no means is that the same as old friends, neighbors or family. All the people who know us and care about us, who would visit us in the hospital or care for us are 1,200 miles away. I find it an isolating experience for both the patient and the caretaker.

I find that this doesn't feel like "home" one single bit. And, I know I am not alone in this feeling. Perhaps the worst thing I've observed is that once you move away from home it's very difficult to move back. The financial aspect of the decision to move back is obvious, but I'm speaking of the emotional and social aspect. Friends have found that life went on without them while they were living here in FL, people at home moved on, after the family and friends initial missing them eased up everyone at home got used to them not being a daily part of their life or events. And, things just aren't the same when you move back. So, you wind up feeling like "a man without a country", "a fish out of water" in both places.

I also just simply miss the area I lived in. I miss shade trees, I miss the glorious colors and feeling of spring, summer and fall. Actually, I even miss a snow storm now and then! I miss the familiar culture of the people where I came from. In general I "got" them and they "got" me. I was born there and very much loved the area we had lived in for many years before we moved. I miss the simple familiarity of everything, everywhere, no matter where I go in my home area. At this age I'm really not interested in change and everything being different and new. It may sound good, but I didn't find it to be at all. Before I moved I felt as though I "belonged" where I was. In FL I always feel as though I'm only visiting.

While my husband enjoys it here in FL more than I do, which seems to be quite common among couples by the way, I've returned to being a snowbird to combat the above displeasure I've had in living here full time. We've been blessed and can afford a small home in the North, which certainly isn't an option for everyone. I spend roughly 6 months, give or take depending on the year, "back home" and my husband spends about 3 months there with me. We are also blessed in that our children visit us during the winter here in FL. So, we've been able to keep the family ties fairly strong. One might think that phone calls to the North will suffice, and they do for us because we also have so much in person time together throughout the year. But, I doubt they suffice for most mothers, at least.

Well, this is my take on moving full time to FL. If you have any further questions, please feel free to PM me. Good luck with your article.

Last edited by JudiPatooti; 01-25-2011 at 03:57 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 04:25 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.montalvo View Post
Florida has long been a retirement destination for many across the country: it's warm and personal income isn't taxed.

But is it overrated?

I'm a national reporter looking for someone who left their state to retire to Florida, but are pretty unsatisfied with the move. It could be that local taxes are too high, or something about property taxes, or even quality of life (maybe you found you're too far from your other family).

If this is you, and you don't mind sharing your experience with us, please send me a message as soon as possible. (As usual, I'm on deadline!).

Thanks!
-David
Retirement is overrated.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:49 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
David,
I recall that on the Long Island, NY FOrum on this site there was a thread for people who retired to FL & then moved back to NY. That could be a major source of interviewees for you.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:44 PM

644 posts, read 1,483,901 times
I have not moved to Florida yet, but have hesitated because I know so many people up north who tried it and then moved back, some within 6 months. Others took a few years to adjust to life in Fla., now like it, but tell me they had a lot of second thoughts during that time.

The reasons I have heard most often for being unhappy with the move are: 1) missing their kids and grandkids; 2) being unsuccessful at making new friends and forming strong connections; and 3) boredom. One couple I know complains that they have made friends here over the 15 years that they have been snowbirds, but these friends keep leaving Florida, dying off, etc.

I think this will happen whenever anyone who is retired moves and tried to start over away from their family and friends, however; not just in Florida. We just hear about it more because Florida is a retiree haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area