Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,012 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all, I just found this site and after reading some of the information I'm glad I did! My wife and I will be moving to the Englewood/Venice area in July and we need some help. I have a 17' boat so that appears to limit our housing choices to areas without HOA's. Are there any HOA's that allow boats on the side of the house, not in front? We will not spend more than $250K and $225K or less is more likely. I see where there are a lot of newer homes for sale at very reasonable prices between Wilmington Blvd. and Gulfstream Blvd, is there a reason? Should this area be avoided? Are the roads in the developments county maintained? We do not want to be any further south or west of the Gulfstream-Wilmington circle. We have a lot on Queen Rd. in S. Venice that we would like to sell (long story). We do not have children. Any information will be helpful as we make our transition. Thank you in advance and we look forward to being good neighbors.
CS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 01:52 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
Welcome to the forum and welcome, in advance, to the region. You'll get lots of housing advice on here, but not from me regarding Englewood/Venice. 225k should buy you a lot of value, especially if you don't want a canal home. You'll get lots of use from that 17'er.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:54 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times
That area is considered "East Englewood"- Nothing wrong with it, just a less expensive area with NO HOA! (Which would be good for you!) That being said, there might be a nicely maintained home next to a not-so-nicely maintained home. Most of the homes are smaller, too, no larger than 1600 SF or so.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:02 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater Homes View Post
T Most of the homes are smaller, too, no larger than 1600 SF or so.
Our house is just under 1700 sq ft. That's plenty of room for a couple without kids. That is unless they have a lot of possessions or are hoarders.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:06 PM

93 posts, read 150,330 times
so venice would fit you perfect?

Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Our house is just under 1700 sq ft. That's plenty of room for a couple without kids. That is unless they have a lot of possessions or are hoarders.
I agree, 1700 - 1800 is plenty. Thanks for the info so far. I realize this has been hashed out a lot (I've been reading old threads) but I'm still grateful for everyone's posts. As we get closer I will be asking for rental possibilities (as well as working with a realtor), we want to rent to get a lay of the land before buying. Thanks again.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:27 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times
Definitely a great idea to rent. I can only speak about Englewood....but in general, most people here are pretty laid back and most places don't have HOA's. And a LOT of people keep their boats in their driveways. Even in million dollar neighborhoods! That's life in Englewood!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:56 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater Homes View Post
That area is considered "East Englewood"- Nothing wrong with it, just a less expensive area with NO HOA! (Which would be good for you!) That being said, there might be a nicely maintained home next to a not-so-nicely maintained home. Most of the homes are smaller, too, no larger than 1600 SF or so.

Hi!
Welcome to the board!

With your budget, and expectations you should be able to find a terrific deal, unless you want to be right on the water. In which case you may even still have "possibilities" you didn't expect.

It is great to have another fisherman around! Fishing is great down here, have you done much around here? Where are you from?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 AM

I'm from Greenville, NC and fish mostly brackish water; trout, reds, striped bass, flounder. I just bought a used Maverick MA 17 in preparation for the move. I've had it since November and it has only been in the water 4 times because of this lousy, cold weather. It might make it to 58 degrees Saturday! My nephew is in Ft. Myers so I've fished PI Sound and Estero Bay a little. I've never fished Lemon Bay but I'm excited about the opportunity. The area around Stump Pass looks good and I'm sure there are others. I hope you'll show me around when I get down there or at least give me some GPS #'s, just kidding!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC to FL View Post
I'm from Greenville, NC and fish mostly brackish water; trout, reds, striped bass, flounder. I just bought a used Maverick MA 17 in preparation for the move. I've had it since November and it has only been in the water 4 times because of this lousy, cold weather. It might make it to 58 degrees Saturday! My nephew is in Ft. Myers so I've fished PI Sound and Estero Bay a little. I've never fished Lemon Bay but I'm excited about the opportunity. The area around Stump Pass looks good and I'm sure there are others. I hope you'll show me around when I get down there or at least give me some GPS #'s, just kidding!
I haven't fished those waters as they are a little ways away, but they are not far from where we are, so you will have good success, and will be contributing some good stories soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area