U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 AM

112 posts, read 245,791 times

Advertisements

I've read that Siesta Key is a nice alternative to Sarasota with better prices. Were looking at several places to buy a house for winter use - Sarasota area, Vero Beach and Naples. We'd like a safe area where we can have a newer house (<6yrs old), not way in-land, walk our dogs, ride bikes and go to restaurants and shopping, movies, etc.

Any feedback on safety in Siesta Key and ease of getting to shopping, etc.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 12:06 PM

4,115 posts, read 6,300,192 times
I'm curious, where did you read that Siesta Key is cheaper than Sarasota? Siesta Key is a barrier island just west of the city of Sarasota. Both are part of Sarasota county. Siesta Key is thisclose to Sarasota. The island of Siesta Key is mainly made of older homes, although there is some new construction. You won't find subdivisions full of new homes there though. The island is a popular tourist destination and the village of Siesta Key is geared towards tourism with lots of little shops, restaurants, bars, etc. There are lots of tall condominium towers along the middle part of the island. The north end consists of more single family homes, but the prices are not inexpensive. Condos start at around $160,000 for a 1 bedroom/1 bath unit. Single family home prices start at around $300,000 and go up from there.

Island residents go to the mainland for movie theaters and to do significant shopping. The traffic can get very congested in the one main north-south route during the wnter months. However, if you want to live within walking distance of the beaches, it is cheaper than Longboat Key and Siesta Key beach has some of the whitest, softest sand you will find.

If you want newer construction but within a short drive to the beach, one alternative is Palmer Ranch in south Sarasota. There are many neighborhoods there with single family homes, townhomes and condos in various price ranges. Some people like The Landings. If you don't mind older, renovated homes, Coral Cove or Bay View Acres is popular.

Siesta Key is a great place to live, but inexpensive it is not.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:29 PM

I "heard" it on this forum, Sunshine Rules, in another thread. I'm just trying to do research and have no first hand experience. Rather than tell you something I don't know, here's what I do know:

Our budget is low $1mil range.
We are 40s/50s, no kids.
We want a house not a condo as we have 3 toy breed dogs.
We don't golf, we don't have a boat.
We like walking our dogs, riding no-speed bikes, eating out lunch or dinner every day, going to the movies and shopping. Otherwise we are homebodies and want a great private pool/lanai to hang out on.
We don't want to have to get dressed up to go to lunch (a la Palm Beach), but a nice upscale casual lifestyle with things to do.

We live full-time in MN, have owned a 2nd home near Seaside in NW Florida for the last 10 years, but there is not enough for us to do there for a whole winter.

Thank you for any ideas. Must appreciated.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:32 PM

OspreyBoaterguy,
Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:07 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,758,544 times
From what you're saying it seems as though the downtown area might be a good fit for you. There's always something going on downtown. Southside Village, which is the area west of US 41 and just of Main St and north of Siesta Dr. It's close to the hospital. Right over the bridge is Siesta Key Beach or if you go over the John Ringling Bridge you have Lido Beach. The only problem is that nothing comes up when you search under SouthSide village because it's kind of a locally used term for that area but in the MLS they have that area broken down into a ton of little subdivisions. I'll list some here so you can look through and see what you find. You haveGWIZ,Mote Marine, Selby Gardens, Jungle Gardens are all within minutes of downtown. Every Saturday they have the downtown Farmers Market. Then there's the Hollywood20 Movie theater and The Burns Court Cinema, which has some really cool foreign films. Burns Court and Towles Court are neat little villages that are great to spend the afternoon catching a bite to eat or doing a little shopping. Selby Libraryis a fantastic library right in the heart of downtown. A great little organic grocery store is Morton's Gourmet Market, Southside Village, Sarasota, Florida. Marina Jack’s is always great for an afternoon out with the kids, a picnic under the trees or a leisurely walk by the bay Welcome to Marina Jack. The Vinyl Film Fest is in April: http://www.vinylfestival.com/ and there's tons more happening monthly.

Some of the downtown neighborhoods are:
The neighborhoods are:
Hyde Park
Hartland Park
Poinsettia Park
Floyd & Cameron
Riverwood Park
Ridgewood
Granada
Laurel Park
Bayview
McClellan Park
Oyster Bay Estates
Bungalow Hill
Aqualane Estates
Graham Heights
Burns Court
Hartsdale
Cherokee Park
Badger Heights
Paradise Shores
San Remo Estates
Harbor Acres
Avondale
Mandarin Park
Morton Terrace

Most of the above are known as a whole as the Southside Village neighborhood. I listed a few that are on the fringe of that area. Here's some more info on the downtown area:

Home
Sarasota Florida Downtown | Shops Downtown, Sarasota Hotel | Downtown Restaurant | Sarasota Rental
Downtown Merchants Association of Sarasota

Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 PM

9 posts, read 16,620 times
We're just about to close on a property in Siesta Key close to the village, and we just love it. We live in Spain and we had west of the trail/southside village in our minds but to be honest with you everything is so close and we felt the area was much more laid back but you could still dress up We can't wait to get over, my husband 55 and I 34 are looking forward to our retirement but at the same time raising our daughter. The golf in Sarasota appeals but just the safe feeling you get in siesta, we totally give it the thumbs up.

I would say it would be great for your dogs and yourselves. By the way that was another one of our considerations, not only our daughter and ourselves but also our cats, as they've never lived near roads before. Believe me we had boxes to tick, but siesta ticks them all. We also have a farmers market in the village on a sunday.

good luck with your search, if you need any help let me know, as I now know the whole area off by heart. We knew the short cuts that our agent didn't know!!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:01 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,758,544 times
I would agree that Siesta is very nice. Some of it depends on budget as well though. Like others pointed out the traffic gets a little much on the key in the winter months. The main reason I hear for moving off key is that the property owner is sick of the traffic in the winter. Although I love the village vibe, if I lived out on the key I'd probably say north of the north bridge or south of the south bridge to avoid the traffic snags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propertylocate View Post
We're just about to close on a property in Siesta Key close to the village, and we just love it. We live in Spain and we had west of the trail/southside village in our minds but to be honest with you everything is so close and we felt the area was much more laid back but you could still dress up We can't wait to get over, my husband 55 and I 34 are looking forward to our retirement but at the same time raising our daughter. The golf in Sarasota appeals but just the safe feeling you get in siesta, we totally give it the thumbs up.

I would say it would be great for your dogs and yourselves. By the way that was another one of our considerations, not only our daughter and ourselves but also our cats, as they've never lived near roads before. Believe me we had boxes to tick, but siesta ticks them all. We also have a farmers market in the village on a sunday.

good luck with your search, if you need any help let me know, as I now know the whole area off by heart. We knew the short cuts that our agent didn't know!!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:38 PM

Thank you so much for the feedback. We're planning on taking a number of trips this winter to different places, so it's early research, but I'm hoping we'll love it. I like the idea that there's some city stuff to do and even a Ritz Carlton, etc, but at the same time, it sounds like you can have the laid back beach life, too.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 PM

36 posts, read 69,240 times
I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say that we are from Minnesota and debating moving to Minnetonka or Sarasota. We love Sarasota! I hope you find your perfect place.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 PM

Sellinginmn,

Do you mean your moving from Mntka to Sarasota?

Mntka is a great full time place to live during the nice months, but we just gotta get away in the dreadful deep winter. I was just down in Santa Rosa Beach, FL, where we have a cottage, but had to come home for a few weeks for this and that.

Hope you find what you're looking for, too! Thanks for saying HI.

Mari
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area