Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:14 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaa View Post
I suppose we all interrupt things differently but I just read from it,that this was this woman's opinions and not putting anyone or Florida down.

It seems this woman is a retiree and is worried about loss of family.which I think is a valid concern.
Having lived here almost 3 years,I have seen some of our elderly neighbors finding themselves alone and moving closer to family.
People here talk about friends helping them,don't bet on it,since these people have left friends and family behind to come here,so how important do you think you are on their list.
I have also found Florida to be an extremely transient state. So even for us younger ones,friends can never be counted on they come and go.
Give me family anytime.
I totally agree with what you say. I base that on my own personal expreience.But that may not be the case with everyone.I think everyone has to find out for themselves.I could really tell you some stories about "friends". I really believe snowbirding is best if it is affordable. Why buy the whole pie when you only need a couple slices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInChicago View Post
I've owned all classes of RV's from pull behind's to Class B's & Class A's and as much fun as they are they depreciate like crazy.
Not all RVs are motor driven. Those you drive depreciate the worst. We have the kind (TT or Travel-Trailer) we tow with a GMC van. We set up on our campsite, unhook the GMC and we're good to go. No TOAD needed. TT's don't depreciate as fast unless they're not cared for and/or the owner is a slob.

Quote:
The motorized versions do cost more to maintain and operate, but resale on any RV sucks. You really need to keep it and use the hell out of it. What I'm trying to say is that there are plus's and minus's to everything. I wouldn't say that RV'ers get the best of both worlds though, especially when you're sitting on the side of the road with your investment broken down. It's not a matter of "if" it will happen either, it's a matter of "when".
We don't have a Class A or B that can break down. Yes, we did some research before buying a TT for the long haul. TT's may get a flat (we all carry spares) but they don't break down like class A's and B's. Right now we're still in Summerfield. It's chilly here and the night's are downright cold. We've had the heat on every night since we left home last Monday. We're enjoying the local goings-on, visiting my SIL's and BIL, then we'll move on to Sarasota/Bradenton. Who knows where from there.........

Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 AM

Default Affordable snowbirding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I totally agree with what you say. I base that on my own personal expreience.But that may not be the case with everyone.I think everyone has to find out for themselves.I could really tell you some stories about "friends". I really believe snowbirding is best if it is affordable. Why buy the whole pie when you only need a couple slices?
It is affordable when the CGs are carefully chosen and reservations are made in advance. We have the Senior Pass so pay 50% of the full cost of CGs owned by the COE. Also different discounts at some state and federal parks. Private CGs can be expensive if you plan to stay most of the winter. But it's still cheaper than buying and maintaining a second home here in FL. Of course it's not for everyone and there are those who, no matter what the cost, can well afford a second home and pay people to take care of it for them. We're not quite that wealthy.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:57 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Folks, Warning...do not discuss other posters. It is an infractable offense. If there are someone's postings that you do not wish to read, you have the ignore feature you can use.

Believe me, I read many posts from folks I do not agree with....but I am not going to lower myself to be rude......

Frank

Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 PM

153 posts, read 287,911 times
You guys are AMAZING!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 AM

121 posts, read 221,291 times
Default Looking forward to seeing Florida

This topic caught my eye, because we too love to travel. We have a home in the midwest, but would love to see all of the beautiful southern states that are on our "bucket list". Florida has always been tops on my list. Even at 70, I want to see Disney World, Epcot, Aligators, beaches and would love to spend the winter. We have an RV and think maybe Sarasota would be a good spot to "park" for a few months and then explore the state from there. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandthee View Post
This topic caught my eye, because we too love to travel. We have a home in the midwest, but would love to see all of the beautiful southern states that are on our "bucket list". Florida has always been tops on my list. Even at 70, I want to see Disney World, Epcot, Aligators, beaches and would love to spend the winter.
My mother traveled to FL with family members into her 80s. She saw some of the things you mentioned and was thrilled. She didn't spend the winter though.

Quote:
We have an RV and think maybe Sarasota would be a good spot to "park" for a few months and then explore the state from there. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...
Make sure to get your Golden Pass or whatever it's called now. You will get up to 50% off on COE campgrounds and 10% or more in Federal or State CGs. Book in advance and choose CGs carefully. If you want to park for months at a time you have to go to a private CG and rent by the month or season. To see all of FL why not camp in one section at a time for a month? See it all and move on further south for a month until you hit the Everglades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area