Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:57 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,127,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It is almost like seeing a 400 lb woman in a bikini riding on a skateboard, it isnt pretty to see and it burns the eyes but morbid curiuosity takes over and they tolerate the pain.
old man, i looked but i didnt see the profile pic? where did you spot it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 11:20 AM

4,892 posts, read 14,087,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
BH was that a six pack of Yengling?? LOL
Please add Petrone for me.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:20 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,453,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
old man, i looked but i didnt see the profile pic? where did you spot it?
I had to remove the pic, my email and cell were blowing up with potential dates

I had to sell my skateboard as well, too many infringements on where I could go in my bikini.....

Old 02-03-2011, 12:32 PM

153 posts, read 286,887 times
Speaking of 400lb women .... they're like mopeds. Everyone wants to ride one, they just don't want to be seen.

Disclaimer
If there's a 400lb woman out there, please don't take this as a personal attack. Use it as motivation to go to the gym.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:43 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,924,672 times

Old 02-03-2011, 02:18 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,496,470 times
Getting back on track.....lol.....

The subject is snowbirding. What are the pros and cons?

First, one has to realize there are basically a few different ways to do this, and they are vastly different.

Some folks OWN both places. I'm guessing that this is the most expensive way. The disadvantages of this is that you must go to the same place each winter, since you own it.

Many folks I know own their place up north, and rent a place in Florida during those golden 3 months of Jan, Feb, and March...sometimes longer. To me this makes sense, and the cost would vary, but should be less then owning. So....what would be the cost? Well, obviously your 3 month rent, which could be as low as like $3k, or as high $8k, depending on how fancy a place you are renting in. Added to that would be the cost of getting down there and back, like "the drive".
Your food cost would be the same. Utilities usually are included in your rent.

So basically your other cost is maintaining a northern empty house, have someone check on it. you must keep some heat on, and you still have some utility bills up there, as well as taxes, etc.

The benefit of being a renting snowbird is;
1) making new friends
2) Avoiding winter and cold
3)Checking out different potential retirement locations
4) Something to look forward to all year.
5) Not falling on black ice, breaking a hip and dying in 6 months.

Since I've owned our Florida home I've rented it out to snowbirds each season. It has worked out great, as what they pay me for those three peak months pays for the house all year. I turn away over 100 couples a year...

Before anyone can accuse me of "advertising", the folks currently renting my place down there should be the last ones, as I hope to be living down there by next winter.

Just trying to get the subject back to topic.

Frank

Old 02-03-2011, 05:23 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,453,679 times
FaithfulFrank,

Now that the perverbial 400 lb gorilla has left the room and you got this back on track I am doing my part to warn the northern peeps of an over looked negative.

Fat Canadian men in speedos . Thats right I said it, who is going to move here after looking at that mess. They adorn our beaches like Exxon tankers with drunken captains. Its, not such a good look here EH .

Disclaimer, this was not an attack toward our Canadian, fat friends on this forum, just your relatives that invade our beaches like lost walrus.

Seriously though, the OP made the right choice. Go over pros and cons and decide what is good for you then just do it. I plan on invading Montana when I retire, those people have no idea what is coming to thier tranquility. Me with a red speedo, cowboy hat, chaps and tearing into town riding a buffalo. Good times......EH

Old 02-03-2011, 05:33 PM

153 posts, read 286,887 times
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Git R Done!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:09 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,894,644 times
Wink They have nothing better to do......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Cat lady I may be able to shed a little light as to why some cant resist reading your stuff.

It is almost like seeing a 400 lb woman in a bikini riding on a skateboard, it isnt pretty to see and it burns the eyes but morbid curiuosity takes over and they tolerate the pain.
Sadly, the truth often hurts. Some of them surely moved without doing a lot of research. Better for people find out the truth before they buy a home, possibly move, and live to regret it. No place on earth is perfect for everyone.

Quote:
I cant believe some of these posts take everything you say out of context, you are indeed being attacked and I personally would not stand for it.
There are always going to be people who misunderstand what someone says, misunderstand another person's intentions, take offense at almost anything and take things out of context. It's human nature.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,894,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
FaithfulFrank,

Seriously though, the OP made the right choice. Go over pros and cons and decide what is good for you then just do it.
I did it on the advice of a Real Estate Agent. I didn't expect to find but a few cons. And what cons are to one person may not be cons to someone else.

Too many people, she said, like those we spoke to who left FL, don't do enough research before moving there. Her advice could apply to moving anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area