Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:50 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. Being that there are different insurance products available in different states I'd like to know what any self employed people are paying there for health insurance. I'm assuming there are more options as the state I'm in now is a bit draconian with legislation.

Here in CT it's about $1200 a month for a family plan with deductables under $1000.

Also, what do you find are general costs for a routine doctor visit for a child's cough for example if paid out of pocket/cash. Here, it doesn't matter so you might as well just pay the insurance costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 01:49 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Hi folks. Being that there are different insurance products available in different states I'd like to know what any self employed people are paying there for health insurance. I'm assuming there are more options as the state I'm in now is a bit draconian with legislation.

Here in CT it's about $1200 a month for a family plan with deductables under $1000.

Also, what do you find are general costs for a routine doctor visit for a child's cough for example if paid out of pocket/cash. Here, it doesn't matter so you might as well just pay the insurance costs.
It's been a few years since I got a quote (from Aetna if I remember correctly), but that's probably pretty close. I think we could have saved a few hundred with BCBS, but the coverage wasn't nearly as good.

Routine sick kid trips are usually less than $100.

As far as self pay vs insured, we always get some kind of break for being self pay. My son had to have his arm set by an orthopedic surgeon about 3 years ago, and as soon as he realized we were self pay (with cash in hand), he knocked $1100 off the bill.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
It's been a few years since I got a quote (from Aetna if I remember correctly), but that's probably pretty close. I think we could have saved a few hundred with BCBS, but the coverage wasn't nearly as good.

Routine sick kid trips are usually less than $100.

As far as self pay vs insured, we always get some kind of break for being self pay. My son had to have his arm set by an orthopedic surgeon about 3 years ago, and as soon as he realized we were self pay (with cash in hand), he knocked $1100 off the bill.
Thanks for the information. I was wondering if there were some aggregation plans in FL where pools of business owners get together to purchase plans at a much discounted rates. They are "outlawed" in CT therefore we do not have that option.

If Dr's there are willing to do "cash" deals that is great and will allow me to put a higher deductible and significantly lower the rate. I'd rather save $6000 a year on a premium and only pay out of pocket a couple thousand for regular visits etc. I'd rather the insurance be for catastrophic incidents that might come up.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
We were paying an arm & a leg for BCBS private insurance & we are never sick! Outside of a dentist cleaning, school check up & maybe an occasional clinic visit for an ear ache, etc.. Even then, they paid so poorly, we were out of pocket more than we should have been.

We switched to using a Health Savings acct. It's cheaper for us to pay out of that than pay the crazy premiums for coverage we rarely used.

It's a high deductible & you pay out of a tax free account you create for routine, normal medical costs. It's still all done through an insurance company. You get an insurance card & a checkbook linked to your health savings acct. to pay for medical visits, etc. However, the insurance kicks in for major medical costs over 50K & pays 100% I believe. All the plans are different according to your needs though.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
We were paying an arm & a leg for BCBS private insurance & we are never sick! Outside of a dentist cleaning, school check up & maybe an occasional clinic visit for an ear ache, etc.. Even then, they paid so poorly, we were out of pocket more than we should have been.

We switched to using a Health Savings acct. It's cheaper for us to pay out of that than pay the crazy premiums for coverage we rarely used.

It's a high deductible & you pay out of a tax free account you create for routine, normal medical costs. It's still all done through an insurance company. You get an insurance card & a checkbook linked to your health savings acct. to pay for medical visits, etc. However, the insurance kicks in for major medical costs over 50K & pays 100% I believe. All the plans are different according to your needs though.
Bingo! That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Nothing like that here.

Thank you for the information!

Do you have a link to your specific plan by any chance?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:58 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Bingo! That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Nothing like that here.

Thank you for the information!

Do you have a link to your specific plan by any chance?
Our plan is through United Healthcare however many insurance companies offer them..

Here is a good link for starters-

Health Savings Account (HSA) - What Is It? - SelectAccount

Old 02-03-2011, 03:53 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
I have United Healthcare through my husbands job. My little one was up in the peds unit at Sarasota for nearly a week and our co-pay was minimal compared to the bill.

It seems lots of doctors take United. I've been pleased.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:46 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
Its impossible to throw a figure out because if there are health issues it changes everything. A healthy family of 4 with a 5k deductible your probably going to pay around 400-500 a month, the coverage isnt that good but it is for catastrophic coverage.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 AM

70 posts, read 178,557 times
Hi, Just a thought.
I am self employed and getting an insurance is just fine since it will benefit my family in 'cases' in life as such. But how do I go around it? What would likely be the best one to get. There are just too many and their offers and promises sound so overwhelming.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
you need to do some concrete research on your own based on your own needs. there are too many choices. I'd research both the united healthcare and humana websites to begin with. im sure there are many others that offer different plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area