Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 AM

66 posts, read 204,148 times

Advertisements

We moved out of Florida about 6 yrs ago to be closer to family in Ohio.....bad decision lol. We've been seriously considering a move back, we miss the beaches, disney and the weather.

We lived in the Riverview before and don't want to move back to that area. We have 1 middle schooler, 1 in elementary and 1 starting school next year - so needless to say schools are somewhat important. Housing is another issue, All our money is tied up in real estate so we are going to have to find something big enough for a family of 5 for under 250K (plus a spare room for family when they visit), unless by some miracle our house is fixed up and sold before we move.

Hubby will probably be working in Sarasota for his former employer so it has to be within a 30 minute commute. of there. I think I've narrowed it down to North Port, Ellenton or Bradenton -unless anyone locally knows of a hidden gem or any reason to stay away from any of these areas?? I do remember something about real estate taxes being less on a new build than an existing home when we lived in hillsborough - is that the case in other counties as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
You didn't mention Sarasota as an option for a place to live, but Sarasota has better rated schools as a whole than the other 3 towns you mentioned. Here's the school system web site:

Sarasota County Schools, Home

Also, if you want things to do with the family, Sarasota has more options. Ellenton is a very small town with a big outlet mall, but not a lot of other amenities. Bradenton is mainly older homes, most people wanting newer homes select Manatee county, either south or east of Bradenton. North Port is cheaper than the other 3, but it is also dealing with a large number of foreclosures. A recent article in the Sarasota paper stated the city was considering what services could be cut to make up a budget shortfall. Then there's also the 45 - 60 minute round trip commute each work day for your spouse.

Sarasota has lots of homes priced under $250,000 that would be large enough for a family of 5. You can search the MLS via the following link:

www.myfloridahomesmls.com/

If I were moving with children, I would check out school districts first, then find neighborhoods within those particular school districts.

Hope this info helps in your search.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
You could probably find what you're looking for in the North Port area. Adams Homes builds a pretty big home-four bedrooms with a den-2200 sq ft under air. They are more of a production builder but the homes have a lot of square footage and the price would be in your budget. You could probably pick up a resale Adams for around $150k. Cranberry Elementary school is the highest rated school in North Port right now.

Stoneybrook of Venice might be another option if you're looking for a large home. There are several homes off Tempest Harbor Loop and Granite Woods Loop that are over 2000 sq ft with a den and under $200k. Stoneybrook has community heated pool, playground, fitness center and tennis courts. I know several families who live in there. The schools are Taylor Ranch and Venice middle and high. All are rated pretty well by the state.

You won't find many homes to fit five people with a den and priced under $250k anywhere in Sarasota. If you do they will be much older and smaller than what's in North Port or Venice.

Good luck with your search.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,088 times
Just a little added FYI...Stoneybrook in Venice has high CDD and HOA fees, so you have to consider that in addition to the price of a home there.
I don't know much about North Port, but I don't think many areas have additional HOAs and CDD fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area