Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,162 times

Advertisements

yeehah, gotta go buy one of those 10 gallon hats, some cowboy clothes, a block of chew and walk like i just got off a horse. things are changin. i am feeling just like john wayne.

actually its not going to make a bit of a difference. old man, when will it be effective?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,162 times
old man, i got impatient and had to google it. looks like it still has a bit to go.

Florida's 'open carry' gun bill clears another hurdle

10:10 AM, Mar. 15, 2011 |
13Comments

Written by

BILL COTTERELL
FLORIDA TODAY CAPITAL BUREAU

Related Links

Matt Reed: Do we really need a pistol-packing public?

TALLAHASSEE -- A bill allowing gun owners with concealed-weapons permits to carry their firearms openly cleared its second legislative hurdle in less than 24 hours this morning.
The House Criminal Justice Subcommittee voted 10-3 for the proposal by Rep. Chris Dorworth, R-Lake Mary, over the objections of law-enforcement lobbyists and representatives of retail merchants. Dorworth said his bill is only intended to protect licensed concealed-weapons carriers who inadvertently show their weapons.

Marion Hammer, the veteran lobbyist for the National Rifle Association, said there have been several prosecutions of law-abiding gun owners for "brandishing" their weapons by accidentally letting them show in public. She and Dorworth said 43 states allow open carry of guns by concealed-weapons license holders, but very few people choose to do so.

"It's not about strapping guns on your hips and walking around," said Hammer. "I don't know anybody who wants to do that."

Randy Miller of the Florida Retail Federation and Maj. T.J. Feeney of the Hillsborough County Sheriffs Department urged the committee to leave the existing concealed-weapons law alone. Feeney said that if people are wearing firearms openly, a police officer will naturally focus on them at any crime scene whether or not they are the cause of an emergency. Miller said shop keepers don't want to ask law-abiding customers to leave their guns outside, or tell "squeamish" customers not to worry about another patron who is packing a gun.

Miller said merchants know some of their customers are carrying concealed weapons, and nobody worries about it because they don't know if the guns are out of sight.

"It's don't ask, don't tell," said Miller. "We don't want to do anything to offend our customers."

The Senate Criminal Justice Committee approved a companion bill (SB 234) on Monday afternoon. Dorworth said he conformed his bill (HB 517) to the Senate version, which does not permit weapons -- concealed or not -- on college campuses.

Dorworth's bill now goes to the Agriculture and Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee and the House Judiciary Committee before reaching the House floor.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,002 times
Im no politician but from this House Bill 0517 (2011) - The Florida Senate

It looks done to me, according to this all it needs is a signature to become law. Agriculture had it on 2/7 and forwarded it to Criminal justice, then to the senate , then the floor today. Ill keep you posted when I get email on it from the senator.

And yes we need to go hat shopping, and maybe chaps. I have the wife looking for a leather speedo and a Bolo tie

Just got confirmation committee vote in agriculture & natural resources subcommittee on 3/17 then 234 in judiciary right after probably few days. Looks like campus carry made it in with provision for no carry in public schools, so the applicable law stands for school zones.

Last edited by Old Man Winter; 03-15-2011 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: added correction

Old 03-15-2011, 09:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
If this topic is too emotional for you to respond to, then dont. What ever you do, stop name calling. Now we are jerks?
Now I know you're just trying to be argumentative. I never called anyone on the board a jerk. If you want to put yourself into the category of "any jerk" that's up to you. If this discussion was about the mother who beat her toddler to death and I wrote, "It's sad that any lowlife can be a parent," would I be calling all the moms on this board a lowlife?

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who don't accept different viewpoints or enjoy a civil discussion over a controversial topic. I'm not one of them.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:34 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
but a tee shirt and shorts does make it hard.
Do you mean difficult? So where do you hide it when you're sunbathing in your Speedo? I was thinking of designing a thong bikini with a holster.

Quote:
Nobody knows what I've got in my little fanny pack.
I'm relieved to hear it. Just make sure you have the safety catch on so you don't blow your

Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 AM

24 posts, read 74,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
further to my previous post, it's an insult to law abiding citizens and a great encouragement to the cromagnons around us. besides, if you can see them it makes it easier to take them away from them and beat them over the head with them.
That's a good way to get shot.

If you are approaching me with intent to steal from me, and do me harm, that is justification to shoot your ass, because if you try to do this EVEN AFTER SEEING that I am armed, you are truly a dumb human, and deserve whatever you get coming to you.

Go ahead, insult me now.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
In addition to that it very foolish to assume that every licensed gun owner in FL is well trained and level headed.

Because they're not. That would be like saying every licensed driver is well trained and responsible.

And there will be a lot of "jerks" walking around in public simply because they can. Not because they feel threatened. But because they're frustrated wanna be cops.

And there will be incidents because of it.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:52 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillPrevail View Post
That's a good way to get shot.

If you are approaching me with intent to steal from me, and do me harm, that is justification to shoot your ass, because if you try to do this EVEN AFTER SEEING that I am armed, you are truly a dumb human, and deserve whatever you get coming to you.

Go ahead, insult me now.
Perfect example.

God help anyone who "approaches" you asking for directions to the interstate.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:54 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Perfect example.

Perfect example

Misinterpret what was typed to fit your uneducated fear based opinion.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:30 PM

24 posts, read 74,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Perfect example.

No, the poster who I am quoting stated that he is going to go around, snatch up peoples guns who are open carrying, and begin whacking them on the head. That is assault, and is a defend-able action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6
further to my previous post, it's an insult to law abiding citizens and a great encouragement to the cromagnons around us. besides, if you can see them it makes it easier to take them away from them and beat them over the head with them.
Didn't you see this? Or did you just ignore it?

Last edited by WeWillPrevail; 03-16-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area