Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,436 times

Advertisements

I'm one of the other Fl natives...and I say "y'all come!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 PM

5 posts, read 8,408 times
So I've been looking at real estate for the last few weeks and I notice that many of the homes have ponds/lakes in the back yards. Is there a concern with flooding there? Do you have a "high water" season like we do here (right now, actually) as the snow melts? I've been passing on many lovely homes because of the proximity of the water.

Also, my husband is making me ask this, what about lizards? A few years ago we went to visit my grandmother in Leesburg and he put his swim trunks outside to dry. When he went to grab them later, a little gecko or something jumped out at him. My grandmother tells stories of vacuuming up the lizards off her ceiling, and it's freaking the hubby out.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:45 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missamo View Post
So I've been looking at real estate for the last few weeks and I notice that many of the homes have ponds/lakes in the back yards. Is there a concern with flooding there? Do you have a "high water" season like we do here (right now, actually) as the snow melts? I've been passing on many lovely homes because of the proximity of the water.

Also, my husband is making me ask this, what about lizards? A few years ago we went to visit my grandmother in Leesburg and he put his swim trunks outside to dry. When he went to grab them later, a little gecko or something jumped out at him. My grandmother tells stories of vacuuming up the lizards off her ceiling, and it's freaking the hubby out.

Thanks!
There are many canals here in North Port and there's only one (that I'm aware of the is in a flood area). Much of it has to do with the elevation of the property and the body of water itself. So, it's kind of hard to give a yes or no answer without knowing location and elevation of the homes. Many areas west of US 41 are in flood zone areas.

There are a lot of lizards here and I could see that happening. Occasionally one will die and you'll find the mummified body somewhere in the house. They don't really bother me at all. They eat all kinds of critters/bug and I actually like having them around.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:14 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
I don't know if this will help or hurt with your husband but kids down here will catch the little guys and let them "bite" their earlobe so they hang as an earring! They are harmless and actually kinda fun to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area