U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:24 PM

113 posts, read 291,956 times

Advertisements

It seems like the Amish restaurants on Bahia Vista are growing larger each year I come down to visit my parents on Longboat Key. I like this, because I am especially addicted to Amish baked goods. I also lived in the Midwest and Mid Atlantic for number of years and frequented the Amish country in Indiana/Ohio/Pennsylvania. Just curious as to whether these places are mainly popular with the tourists or do the locals frequent these places as well? Seems like the food at these places is as good as what you'd find up north.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:39 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,682,725 times
I'm guessing you're referring to Yoder's. That place is usually busy even when the snowbirds head back. The area off of Bahia Vista is known as Pinecraft. The Amish have lived in that area since the early 1900's. Many of the old, simply made cracker homes were built by the Amish. I've been in several in that area and they're pretty neat.

There are five Amish restaurants in Sarasota they are Der Dutchman, Dutch Haus, Dutch Oven, Sugar & Spice, and Yoder’s.

Back on the subject of food. Yeah they cook a "mean meal"

Old 02-25-2011, 02:21 PM

913 posts, read 2,237,095 times
I think one of the more interesting things about Sarasota is Pinecraft. I like it during the winter when you see the Amish vacationing in the area. And they do eat at Yoder's a lot. I think they must take buses down from the midwest, as I see buses from PA, OH and IN parked across the street from Yoder's a lot during this time.

I have tell a little story about my daughter. When we were looking for our condo, she was 7 years old. We were driving on Beneva and crossing Bahia Vista. There was an Amish girl riding her bike on Bahia Vista. My daughter said "Look dad, there is a "pioneer girl" riding her bike." And now every time we go up that way, we usually see "pioneer girls".

Old 02-25-2011, 05:13 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,310,651 times
My office is near that area and the locals go to those places all the time. Every now and then a group from the office will go together or someone will sneak out and bring back a peanut butter pie

OK I have to stop there or I will be gaining 6 pounds tomorrow.

I like the area myself and from time to time you see one of the Amish kids in her dress and bonnet riding one of those giant skate boards. It is really cool to see actually. I have never been over there with the camera that could make for a fun afternoon.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:37 PM

164 posts, read 335,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Every now and then a group from the office will go together or someone will sneak out and bring back a peanut butter pie

Peanut butter pie (and chocolate peanut butter, too!) from Yoder's.....YUM!! Can't make a trip to Sarasota without it.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 PM

440 posts, read 992,927 times
Default Don't forget Dutch Heritage

Dutch Heritage is just down the street from Yoder's. It's huge with a gift shop and bakery attached. You can order off the menu or choose from a huge hot/cold buffet.The food is better than Yoder's, IMHO. My mouth is watering just thinking about the broasted chicken, The pies are delicious. Both places are frequented by local Amish.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Ohio View Post
Peanut butter pie (and chocolate peanut butter, too!) from Yoder's.....YUM!! Can't make a trip to Sarasota without it.
Alright Sue stop this madness!! Please stop the madness!! The peanut butter pie is calling me now and I am heading to the office soon. Now I may have to kill a pie for lunch.....

When the waitress at Dutch Heritage sees my partner and I coming she just shakes her head in disgust, she knows her beloved buffet is about to be conquered, its a shame we couldnt make a suit coat with all that delicious chicken skin.....

Old 02-26-2011, 07:45 AM

493 posts, read 1,322,412 times
After reading this thread I really could not believe that there are so many Amish restaurants so close to Sarasota, but, what a pleasant surprise for those that visit the area from up north. Being from Michigan, we have not only Amish, but also Mennonites as well very close to our home. We always buy vegetables, cheese, baked goods, but have no restaurants up here. Can't wait to get down to try all of them!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 AM

16,513 posts, read 35,779,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
After reading this thread I really could not believe that there are so many Amish restaurants so close to Sarasota, but, what a pleasant surprise for those that visit the area from up north. Being from Michigan, we have not only Amish, but also Mennonites as well very close to our home. We always buy vegetables, cheese, baked goods, but have no restaurants up here. Can't wait to get down to try all of them!!!
Yes, it is actually more Mennonites than Amish here. There are even a few more "Amish style" diners around like one called "Crager's" near my house up by the airport. Quite a few nice farmstands, too - one of the best is "Detwiler's." The Amish/Mennonite population really makes Sarasota unique. It's known as a wealthy, cultural city, but also has the circus heritage and the Amish - no other city quite like it.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
Fox let me know when you get here we can hook up for lunch at Yoders or Dutch Heritage. IMHO those 2 are the best. Cragers is like a Denny's, I was not impressed at all, cant recall the name of the one South of Bee Ridge on Cattlemen but it was just ok. We can tackle the buffet at Heritage together . But then again Yoders is rumored to have the best fried chicken in Sarasota.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>