Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:26 PM

6,584 posts, read 4,358,513 times

Advertisements

Sarasota real estate flipping fraud case: Prosecutors indict 14 | HeraldTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 08:58 AM

493 posts, read 1,381,569 times
Sickening!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:43 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,355,221 times
I was happy to read that and see that I dealt with NONE of those people when buying our home. Phew............

Old 02-27-2011, 12:19 PM

4,565 posts, read 7,429,209 times
It's unfortunate that some people think that rules and regulations are for "other people." Upon reading the story I wondered how these agents could do these flips without their BROKER questioning the deals. Did these investors also have LAWYERS looking over their paperwork?

What about the buyers that lied about their incomes, their net worth, to get loans because so many people were treating the real estate market like it was a stock market -- buy a home, sell it a month later for a big profit?

What the story did not even touch upon is the much bigger violation of the regulations that went on (and is still going on) at the top of this lending food chain.

Here's a link to an interview with Rolling Stone magazine's Matt Taibbi, who has written several in depth articles on foreclosure-gate, including the rocket docket home foreclosures process that has been going on in Florida.

http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2011/2/22/matt_taibbi_why_isnt_wall_street_in_jail

In the interview, Matt said: “Nobody goes to jail. This is the mantra of the financial-crisis era, one that saw virtually every major bank and financial company on Wall Street embroiled in obscene criminal scandals that impoverished millions and collectively destroyed hundreds of billions, in fact, trillions of dollars of the world’s wealth."

On the pension shortfalls that states are dealing with, Matt said:
"the broad crime in all of this was just fraud. They were taking—these banks were taking, again, these subprime mortgages, and they would have these billion-dollar pools of mortgages where, in some cases, 70 or 80 percent of the loans were to people who had no identification or no jobs or who had put no money down into the mortgage. And then they were taking these loans and applying this phony baloney, hocus pocus math, these derivative instruments, and turning them into AAA-rated investments. And they were marketing, again, these securities to, say, state pension funds as AAA-rated investments..."

If you think you're angry now, wait until you've finished reading the rest of the interview.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:56 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,946,844 times
you really cant trust ANYONE in florida, it truly is the fraud capital of the world

Old 02-27-2011, 02:15 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,822,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
you really cant trust ANYONE in florida, it truly is the fraud capital of the world
I find this kind of an odd statement since the majority of the people who live in FL are not originally "from" FL. So just because someone lives in FL they're going to commit fraud? Wow....

Being a native Floridian I take offense to that statement.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:55 PM

4,892 posts, read 14,083,312 times
One of the board members for the original bank that failed used to be our insurance agent.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:04 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,220,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I find this kind of an odd statement since the majority of the people who live in FL are not originally "from" FL. So just because someone lives in FL they're going to commit fraud? Wow....

Being a native Floridian I take offense to that statement.
Nobody said anything about native Floridians.I think theyr'e probablly the nicer ones down here. But i do agree, it's really hard to trust anyone.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,822,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Nobody said anything about native Floridians.I think theyr'e probablly the nicer ones down here. But i do agree, it's really hard to trust anyone.
I would think that native Floridians would be grouped into the category of "you really can't trust ANYONE living in FL". Since I live in FL and happen to be a Native Floridian I would say I'm in the group of people who live in FL. To make a blanket statement like that is just uncalled for.

Just seems a bit rude to me. That would be like me saying, "everyone from xxx state are jerks." Obviously that would not be true and it would be pretty rude of me to say something like that. It's just an unnecessary statement.

I would agree though that most of the FL crackers are a very hard working bunch and not looking to take advantage of anyone.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:20 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,671,870 times
Well, I'm not a native and I still think that is an assinine statement, unworthy of any level of explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area