Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne4t View Post
Anyone have an opinion on Sharkys in Venice? They are one place I've found that is actually waterfront AND caters to vegetarians. All I need to hear is that they have good food and I'll be a happy camper!
Sorry... you won't hear a thumbs up for Sharky's from me. Food is overpriced and ...[IMG]http://******************/vomit-smiley-9529.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 AM

477 posts, read 987,072 times
Quote:
Anyone have an opinion on Sharkys in Venice? They are one place I've found that is actually waterfront AND caters to vegetarians. All I need to hear is that they have good food and I'll be a happy camper!
We've been there twice with a large party and everyone enjoyed it. Sandwiches were good. It's just a casual beach joint. A bit overpriced but the view and atmosphere is just what you want sometimes.

They do sub tofu for any of their salads and pastas so yes, it is veggie friendly.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:09 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Quote:
I have heard nothing much good about the place, but if the wise and good people here say the food's not bad, then you can generally trust that.

From what I can tell, for much of the year there is almost always a wait to get in, and often a substantial wait. They'd have to be serving foie gras-topped Kobe beef for me to wait more than ten minutes for a table, and I have seen a LOT of people waiting to get into the place.

Call ahead.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
By the way, I have said this before, but...

We had lunch at A French Affair in Gulf Gate today, and I cannot say enough about how solid the food is.

Seriously, we spent exactly the same as we would have at Appleby's or somewhere, and had a meal a hundred times better.

I had cassoulet bean soup ($4) (I could LIVE on this, with chunks of pork shoulder), and a platter of gravlax with a beautiful dill-caper sauce and a nice salad with homemade vinaigrette ($9). Are you kidding me?

Wife had French onion soup (always great, $4), and a quiche Lorraine (amazing, $9).

It is very casual, and not the greatest atmosphere, but the people who know the place swear by it. So don't be put off by the room when you walk in. These people know what they're doing.

After they have met you, you'll feel like family.
Also, A French Affair is another great reason to get the Entertainment book, as you'll save $16 each time you go.

There is also a very good coupon at Sarasota Sally, worth about the same.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:06 AM

386 posts, read 1,015,023 times
Quote:
Also, A French Affair is another great reason to get the Entertainment book, as you'll save $16 each time you go.

There is also a very good coupon at Sarasota Sally, worth about the same.
Where can I pick up an Entertainment Book?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I have heard nothing much good about the place, but if the wise and good people here say the food's not bad, then you can generally trust that.

From what I can tell, for much of the year there is almost always a wait to get in, and often a substantial wait. They'd have to be serving foie gras-topped Kobe beef for me to wait more than ten minutes for a table, and I have seen a LOT of people waiting to get into the place.

Call ahead.
IMO the only thing Sharkey's has going is the location. The food won't poison you, but it leaves much to be desired. It's a tourist place. I would never order a full meal there.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:03 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
I agree on Sharky's, it is a nice place to take out of town people but value and quality just are not there. The atmosphere however can't be beat. I have to admit every time we have visited we have gone there but once we are permanent residents I don't think we will be going there often.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrita View Post
Where can I pick up an Entertainment Book?
Entertainment Book

Yes, there is a cost, but seriously, it pays for itself many times over. Restaurants, car washes, museums, driving ranges, movie tickets etc etc.

Hell, mine pays for itself no less than five times over per year JUST AT A FRENCH AFFAIR.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 AM

453 posts, read 1,741,681 times
Sharky's wasn't too bad but they do something there I've never seen before. If you get there and they don't have a table, they have no waiting list for seating; we had to hover near people and grab what we could when it became available, which was just annoying. Maybe they've changed that.

Rhys

Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Entertainment Book

Yes, there is a cost, but seriously, it pays for itself many times over. Restaurants, car washes, museums, driving ranges, movie tickets etc etc.

Hell, mine pays for itself no less than five times over per year JUST AT A FRENCH AFFAIR.
Thanks for the link. You're right about the value. I had an EB in NJ and it paid for itself many times over. Glad to see the SRQ version and I'm ordering it today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area