Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:31 AM

384 posts, read 990,317 times

Advertisements

There are so many choices I don't know how to narrow things down ...what if I missed the perfect place just because I didn't know about it? Maybe some of you can help me figure out the communities I should be sure and check out on my scouting visit from Sarasota to Naples. Here is what i'm looking for:
  • within 15 minutes of beach
  • community with group activities (and I don't mean crafts!)
  • active involved singles as well as non-singles
  • community pool big enough, warm enough for laps
  • fitness center
  • $150,000 to $350,000
  • NO manufacutured or mobile home
  • love a "town" where one can go for coffee, shop or theatre; big box stores not necessary
  • No CDC (not sure if that is the correct acronym)
  • If HOA, then development turned over to residents already
  • safe
  • No Fort Myers, Bradenton - they sound like a nightmare!
Thanks for ay suggetsions ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 07:40 AM

414 posts, read 1,245,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
There are so many choices I don't know how to narrow things down ...what if I missed the perfect place just because I didn't know about it? Maybe some of you can help me figure out the communities I should be sure and check out on my scouting visit from Sarasota to Naples. Here is what i'm looking for:
  • fitness center
  • $150,000 to $350,000
  • love a "town" where one can go for coffee, shop or theatre; big box stores not necessary
  • safe
I can only speak for where we have a house, Village Walk in Sarasota, which has all those features, except that the starting price would be a bit higher than $150K and Sarasota is not a town. Siesta Key is about 15 minutes away. The Legacy Bike Trail is only minutes away. The development is very clean and well run. Two pools, one for laps and the other for general use. Both heated geothermally.

Best,
smiledoc1

Old 02-08-2009, 09:25 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
  • fitness center
  • $150,000 to $350,000
  • safe
Miruca,
You described a lot of places. But, you have to check out Punta Gorda - you described that perfectly. Moderator cut: recommendation

When are you thinking of coming to look around? You really should check out a number of places here in SWFL before you decide. But I really like it here it is a small historical town, it fits your budget, has a lot of activities and music events in the park year round as well as a number of other things. Also it is only a half-hour or so drive to several fantastic beaches, and other towns of interest. It is ideally located, no HOA fees, but some community restrictions that keep all the places looking great, and very well maintained.
Good Luck!

Last edited by Keeper; 01-04-2010 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: realtor recommendation not allowed

Old 02-08-2009, 09:38 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Lakeshore Village, Clark Rd at Sawyer Sarasota
Beautiful, well maintained, very active. Large villas with 2 car gar. built 86-88 $200-$260 downside - monthly maint $375 no pets

Kings Gate, Kings Hwy Port Charlotte
Huge development of single family homes, 24/7 guarded gate, large rec. complex, small golf course. New homes since 01 still building, many resales $150-$280, maint fee $252 not a CDD

Old 02-08-2009, 05:17 PM

385 posts, read 1,159,420 times
Well I thought for sure smiledoc1 would have told you Village Walk is not a place for singles, perhaps he has had a change of heart. I would recommend Village Walk as well, if you are over the age of 50, I think you would really enjoy it.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:50 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Wow, there are so many communities. I can be more specific on any community but here are a few that come to mind:

Sarasota
Trillium
Bent Tree
Serenoa
Misty Creek
Palmer Ranch/Village Walk

Osprey
Southbay Yacht Club
Willowbend
Rivendell

Venice
Venetian (nice community but has CDD fees)
Venice Golf & Country Club
Plantation
Sawgrass
Pelican Pointe
Chestnut Creek

Englewood
Stillwater
Boca Royale (nice community but has CDD fees)
Oyster Creek

Port Charlotte
Riverwood (nice community but has CDD fees)
Kings Gate (55+ community)

North Port
Bobcat Trail (nice community but has CDD fees)
Heron Creek (nice community but has CDD fees)
Lakeside Plantation (nice community but has CDD fees)

Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda Isles (not gated)

Old 02-09-2009, 02:25 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions - based on prior posts I had started looking at some of them... and will keep doing so! I'm thinking that Port Charlotte, Northport, and Punta Gorda are too far from the beach for me. Maybe I would change my mind when I come down but I do think I want to be closer. I don't care about being on or around "water" other than proximity to the beach - I don't like those gaters!

Now... smiledoc... why did angelfish think you would not recommend village walk for singles? Your posts have definitely caused me to reconsider the Sarasota area. It just seemed too big to me and it is more expensive but I'm reconsidering that area.. I like the easy airport access - that became more and more important with my parents as the years went by...a 45 minute drive became a bigger obstacle. Geothermal heated pool... great way to go.

The Lakeside Village is nice but I'm leaning strongly for a non-attached living situation - I think I would go condo only if I was right on the beach.

I will be enlisting SoFlGirl talents for the grand tour . Thanks for the list, and for noting which are CDD - I definitely do not want to go there. I do want to do as much research as possible prior to my trip so that I can make the most of the time there. I'm planning late fall.

Perhaps another element that might help limit the universe of what and where to look is that I don't give a hoot about golf....so I'm just fine in a community without it.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:16 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
miruca,
Where ever you choose to live - you're going to love it. And, I'm sure you'll find the right place for you! This area has so many wonderful things going on - incredible! SoFLGal will certainly be your best allie!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 AM

385 posts, read 1,159,420 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the great suggestions - based on prior posts I had started looking at some of them... and will keep doing so! I'm thinking that Port Charlotte, Northport, and Punta Gorda are too far from the beach for me. Maybe I would change my mind when I come down but I do think I want to be closer. I don't care about being on or around "water" other than proximity to the beach - I don't like those gaters!

Now... smiledoc... why did angelfish think you would not recommend village walk for singles? Your posts have definitely caused me to reconsider the Sarasota area. It just seemed too big to me and it is more expensive but I'm reconsidering that area.. I like the easy airport access - that became more and more important with my parents as the years went by...a 45 minute drive became a bigger obstacle. Geothermal heated pool... great way to go.

The Lakeside Village is nice but I'm leaning strongly for a non-attached living situation - I think I would go condo only if I was right on the beach.

I will be enlisting SoFlGirl talents for the grand tour . Thanks for the list, and for noting which are CDD - I definitely do not want to go there. I do want to do as much research as possible prior to my trip so that I can make the most of the time there. I'm planning late fall.

Perhaps another element that might help limit the universe of what and where to look is that I don't give a hoot about golf....so I'm just fine in a community without it.

I have a property in VW that I did reside in for about a year. I was in my twenties and single, and found it difficult to make friends with my surrounding neighbors. They were all much much older and after a year moved on to greener pastures. I did throughly enjoy the amenities VW offers and think if you are an older single gal, you would find it great fun with all the planned activities and people your age.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:10 PM

I would be an older single gal - it surprises even me sometimes

Big House ... just because of your descriptions of Punta Gorda it is staying on the research list for now. If nothing else I am going to visit it to see what it is like. It sounds like I might like the historical town aspect - is the town sort of like Mt. Dora (if you have ever been there). I always liked going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area