U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:29 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,425,809 times

Advertisements

Southwest Florida's full-time residents are shifting inland | HeraldTribune.com

This article sums it all up for me and confirms why I left the area after 13 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 AM

153 posts, read 266,636 times
Doesn't bother me. Try Chicago!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:53 AM

33,207 posts, read 52,512,898 times
the facts are that people elect city officials--city officials vote on zoning/construction/development--people themselves vote on new taxes and fees for the most part--
people (residents who have power of ballot box) have only themselves to blame if their city officials make changes in their city that they don't like

all this passive/aggressive "I hate where I live" and "I don't like these changes"--comes too late usually--most people don't react until forces have been put into place that can't be changed
the only force stronger than inertia is gravity---and both tend to hold forces in place vs reward change/movement

Old 03-27-2011, 09:24 AM

547 posts, read 826,410 times
Sarasota is our home. First the two of us, then kids, now G-children. We live modestly, our kids went to public schools, played sports , went boating and fishing, enjoyed the outdoors here. We don't live in a gated community,feel safe and are located close to everything we need. There is nothing not to like for us here, it's our home.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,312,422 times
All I can tell you is that I'm a native SW FL Floridian and I have many friends who are and in talking with them, they're not going anywhere--nor am I.

I've traveled to nearly every state and all over the world and I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be then right here.

If there's a few less people, that's fine with me. I don't see that as a good thing or a bad thing, really.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:55 AM

169 posts, read 369,984 times
Not sure why Peter The Brit posted the above?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:13 AM

Peter now sells real estate in St Augustine

Looks like the area over in St Augustine is pretty similar to this area in terms of people. Although if you look at the map closely you might see St Augustine boarders on the "tourist trap" area.

Incidentally I'm watching my dads dog right now because he still feels the need to go to St Augustine several times a year. Peter say hi to my pops if you see him traveling the streets

Last edited by SoFLGal; 03-27-2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 12:48 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,379,919 times
Funny map of Florida. That about sums it up!

Old 03-27-2011, 01:52 PM

15 posts, read 24,676 times
I have been looking into property in Venice for about a week after a friend referred to it as "Old Florida". I have been living in the NW for decades and the chill has finally gotten to me. I grew up in Southern California with its sun and vibrant economy where the greatest trouble seemed to be finding a place to park. I have been looking at Florida because of the depressed values but am not sure what to make of the markets long term prospects. The place I am selling in Portland was a beater that I renovated in a rising neighborhood that treated me quite well, so that I am wondering if something like it would be a good place to start in the sunshine state. I have been looking at smaller places to the SE of the airport selling for less than 50K. The idea was that if I were planing to stay for 10 years I would allow myself time for the market kinks to work themselves out. But reading the forums people seem to have a gloomy outlook the the future of the region siting its lack of jobs Soaring insurance rates and the flight of many long term residents. I used to work in the building trades but am moving into the medical field which would seem to be the way to earn a living in Florida for the coming years.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforcepdx View Post
I have been looking into property in Venice for about a week after a friend referred to it as "Old Florida". I have been living in the NW for decades and the chill has finally gotten to me. I grew up in Southern California with its sun and vibrant economy where the greatest trouble seemed to be finding a place to park. I have been looking at Florida because of the depressed values but am not sure what to make of the markets long term prospects. The place I am selling in Portland was a beater that I renovated in a rising neighborhood that treated me quite well, so that I am wondering if something like it would be a good place to start in the sunshine state. I have been looking at smaller places to the SE of the airport selling for less than 50K. The idea was that if I were planing to stay for 10 years I would allow myself time for the market kinks to work themselves out. But reading the forums people seem to have a gloomy outlook the the future of the region siting its lack of jobs Soaring insurance rates and the flight of many long term residents. I used to work in the building trades but am moving into the medical field which would seem to be the way to earn a living in Florida for the coming years.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

I wouldn't say everyone has a gloomy outlook. My outlook and many other long time and short time residents is quite good. Like me, Gypsychic is a native and she says she likes living here. I think Ladywithafan has been here quite a while and enjoys it. There are many, many others who post here on a regular basis who love living here as well.

Sad to say but The Herald is here to sell papers. Doom and gloom sells. A lot of what they print is doom and gloom. Their papers sell. My father is a writer for one of the local papers and has been in the newspaper business in this area since the early 1950's so I'd say I have a pretty good handle on how things work.

As far as the job market goes, it's not that great. Nor is it that great in many other areas of the country. In the building trades it would be very difficult to find a job. I would say the medical field would probably be a much easier place to find employment in.

Now on to areas. You mentioned SE of Sarasota Airport. That general area is known as Newtown Estates. When you research this and any area you might want to go on the Sarasota County website and pull up the arrest records and see if you see addresses that show up a lot. Another idea is to call the local police department and ask how often they get called to a specific area. Next, if you're in the area you might want to drive by after 5pm when most people are home from work and see what the neighborhood looks like at that time of day.

If you are looking in the $50k range you might want to start your search in the south Venice or North Port area. You will get more for your money in these areas. For $50k, in Sarasota, the home will most likely be in very poor to non-livable condition, in a high rental area, etc.

On that same note, I have several clients who do well investing in SW FL.

My insurance rates are fine. $737 per year for a home that was built in 2003 and is 2127 under air. If you live on the coast or have a much older home you probably don't feel the same way about your rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area