Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:49 AM

547 posts, read 926,879 times

Advertisements

To me it would be all about the money. Can you afford to live here? By that I mean work to live, not live to work, barely scraping by with no time to enjoy your life. If you have a good paying job, then go for it, you won't be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 06:32 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
SoFlGal, I did read your "reasons not to move here" blog after I posted. Excellent blog, and I agree that the weather should be the #1 consideration. Alligators and snakes are kind of silly, but I do know some people think they're everywhere in FL. However, as someone who's from a Northern city and has spent a good deal of time in the Bradenton/Sarasota area, I do think you left out a couple important considerations. The "heavy retiree population" is one. Yes, everyone knows or should know that FL is home to a disproportionate share of retirees and elderly folks; however, it's a little bit disconcerting when you actually experience it. Going into a restaurant where the clientele consists entirely of gray-haired white couples. Dealing with elderly drivers and all their foibles on the road. Going to the beach and seeing more old folks than young kids or chicks in bikinis. My second consideration is the crime. I've mentioned this before so I won't belabor the point, but the crime seems more rampant and spread-out, unlike Northern cities where crime is mostly contained to the run-down urban areas....and weird/bold, like the gang shooting on Coquina Beach on Easter a few years ago...or my Mom's financial advisor being accosted by a robber while her car was in the drive-through line at Wendy's. Generally, I'm on my guard 24/7 when I'm down there, always trying to think one step ahead of the crafty criminals. I don't particularly like that.

So my point being, a well-rounded blog should mention those things because they're quite a culture shock for folks coming down from the North.
You do make some good points here and thanks for bringing them up. On the age issue I know that's a concern for some. I'll tell you I was born and raised here and I've never had a problem meeting people my age. I've always been pretty active and outgoing so I tend to meet people where ever I go. I suppose I'm OK hanging out with people older or younger than I am. I really don't have an issue with that. So, for me it's not really about age but more personality type.

As far as the crime issue, again never really experienced it but it could happen. I'll try to revise my blog sometime this week and include these extra points.

Then you have the dog and the beach issue. I'll have to say I don't have any experience with bulldogs but I do have experience with my dogs at the beach. We usually bring an umbrella for them to lie under and we always bring plenty of water. We also try to go in the early morning or late afternoon to avoid the hottest part of the day. They have done pretty well and really enjoy the beach.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:02 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I disagree with this entire post. Fisrt off, I am from NH also and moved to Florida 20 years ago when I was 21. If a young guy cant find things to do here, he is an idiot. From Sarasota you can hit the night life in Tampa with a 45 minute drive, no different then when I use to hang in Boston every other night. As far as the bulldog goes, he will be fine in the heat. NH is just as hot and humid in the summer as it is here. I grew up at Hampton beach at our beach house and our dogs did just fine. Only difference with heat here is that it lasts 9 months .

I dont know where in NH you are from but the crime here is very similar to Manchester, so is the night life. What I mean by that is there are good and bad areas, identify them and go elsewhere you will do just fine.

There are more beach babes here than you will ever find in NH and plenty of young people your age. Throw yourself out there and you will meet new people and have a great time doing it. Some times you just need to say F it and do it. If you come here and you dont like it, its not like NH wont let you come home.......

Good luck to you, and stop in and say hello to my family for me, sheesh I need to go home more than every 10 years
Great post - I totally agree! As far as the old people - yes, we have a lot, Florida is a retirement state for pete sake, who doesn't know that? But Sarasota has plenty of young people, we have THREE nationally renowned colleges here. One can quickly learn where the young hang out and where and when the oldsters can be found. There is a whole lot more to Sarasota than people who just visit here know about.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 AM

113 posts, read 343,235 times
I'm also from New Hampshire.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
From Sarasota you can hit the night life in Tampa with a 45 minute drive,
My point exactly. You have to drive 45 mins. for nightlife. Sarasota may have some hidden party spots where young folks congregate, but it by no means is known as a jumpin' city.

Quote:
NH is just as hot and humid in the summer as it is here.
Oh please, you can't be serious. Average high temps in Sarasota from June-Sept. 90, 91, 91, 90. Average highs in Nashua NH 78, 83, 81, 72. Average lows Sarasota 71, 73, 73, 72.....Nashua 54, 59, 57, 49. I just picked a random city in NH, but comparing NH to FL is a real stretch.

Quote:
As far as the bulldog goes, he will be fine in the heat.
Perhaps, but the poster did ask for con's as well as pro's. I've seen bulldogs struggle to breathe in heat and humidity, and have to stay in air-conditioning....just thought the OP should be aware of that since he seems to spend a lot of time outdoors with his dog.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:58 PM

782 posts, read 1,087,209 times
It's weird about temps and humidity. In the south, 30 feels colder than 25 up north. Up north, 90 feels hotter than 95 in the south. Don't know why, but that's been my experience. I've lived in New England for many years as well as in Florida and Texas.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM

51 posts, read 167,817 times
Just wanted to chime in and say how nice it is to see all the New Englanders on here. I'm originally from MA (10 minute drive to Nashua) so I can relate to the comments on the heat.

Also, I have an English Bulldog and had her in Las Vegas for 7 years where it would get up to 115 easily in July. She's here in FL with us too. I wouldn't decide against moving here just b/c of your dog. Bulldog owners know that you can't overwork the dog when it's hot out. My dog is given limited time outdoors during hot/humid times of the day. You just have to be responsible, and I'm sure you are.

Anyways, good luck with your decision. It's been a rough winter up there, and with the next storm coming on Friday, I'm sure you're already dreaming of palm trees in your future.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:54 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
It's weird about temps and humidity. In the south, 30 feels colder than 25 up north. Up north, 90 feels hotter than 95 in the south. Don't know why, but that's been my experience. I've lived in New England for many years as well as in Florida and Texas.
I totally agree, we've noticed that as well. We'll be driving around in Florida with the top down on the convertible, and the temp gauge will say 98 or whatever and we're like "It sure doesn't SEEM that hot!!" When it hits 92-93 in Wisconsin you can hardly stand it! Same with when it's in the mid to upper 70's, we could hardly put the top down on the car 'cuz we were freezing! Strange...
Here I put the top down when it's 50....

Old 03-30-2011, 06:32 PM

16 posts, read 19,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I disagree with this entire post. Fisrt off, I am from NH also and moved to Florida 20 years ago when I was 21. If a young guy cant find things to do here, he is an idiot. From Sarasota you can hit the night life in Tampa with a 45 minute drive, no different then when I use to hang in Boston every other night. As far as the bulldog goes, he will be fine in the heat. NH is just as hot and humid in the summer as it is here. I grew up at Hampton beach at our beach house and our dogs did just fine. Only difference with heat here is that it lasts 9 months .

I dont know where in NH you are from but the crime here is very similar to Manchester, so is the night life. What I mean by that is there are good and bad areas, identify them and go elsewhere you will do just fine.

There are more beach babes here than you will ever find in NH and plenty of young people your age. Throw yourself out there and you will meet new people and have a great time doing it. Some times you just need to say F it and do it. If you come here and you dont like it, its not like NH wont let you come home.......

Good luck to you, and stop in and say hello to my family for me, sheesh I need to go home more than every 10 years

Thanks Oldman! I live in Manchester so that would be a great similarity for me and thats what I am looking for! Yes i realize the bulldog thing is an issue but he is monitored and goes to the beach with me regularly! Hampton of course!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
Your welcome Hyde. Remeber one thing, yea its hot and humid here, yea the beaches are packed with hot babes, yea we have more old people, yea the pay scale here is whacked like Whitney Houston on a crack binge....... but I have never had to shovel humidty......

I have been all over this country when I was younger. I travelled for my company and lived out of a suit case for almost 3 years when I was young. I have spent from a few weeks to a few months in cities across the US, Florida is home and I dont want to be any place else right now in my life. I may retire back home in the mountains, who knows, but for the last 21 years I have enjoyed my time here and I cant see myself leaving any time soon.

I am going to do a photo adventure for you if I get a chance this weekend. When you see the babes at the beaches you wont care about the rest of it . Heck wait till you see the babes I am kyaking with this Saturday !!!! And they are all from this forum

What type of recreation stuff are you into besides the beach? The beach gets old fast and our sharks will eat your dog. Heck I dont want the sharks to eat our babes either!!! Get out of the water!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck m8, but do some research on your salary, and buy an AR15 and 6 hand grenades before you come down. Safety first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area