Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:30 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexicotrader View Post
WoW, I am so happy to hear some GOOD stuff about Brendenton. My daugther and I are moving there in August. However, on another thread I was reading that Brendenton is full of crime, drugs, prostutes and getto. I got scared. They mentioned some beaches should be stayed away from. You have no idea how wonderful to see some possitive things said are.
You can't believe everything you read on the internet. I live in south Manatee County, and Bradenton is a great little city. It does have high crime in a couple of bad neighborhoods, mostly on the south and southeast side, and along part of the north US 41 corridor. But the areas near the river, and northwest towards the beaches are charming and safe; also the new communities further east near 75. The beaches in Bradenton I think are the best anywhere, and I prefer them over Sarasota's. Not sure why someone is trying to scare you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 06:06 PM

47 posts, read 65,914 times
OOHHH, Thank you for telling this. I will look in these areas.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 PM

47 posts, read 65,914 times
The more I see and hear of Brendenton the more excited we are to get out there. I have decided not to look for any job until I am there. Everywhere I apply for want me to start work. Job will not be a problem, so I have decided to wait until I am ready to work. I do not waste any employer their or their employees time. Thank you all so much for telling me the places I should look to live in. I am very excited and we think that we will be able to make some nice friends after we get settled. In the meantime their seems to be so many places to explore!! Our dogs are going to love a whole new list of sniffs!!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:09 AM

27 posts, read 76,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halapena View Post
I have posted here before but I have a few more questions and would like to clarify a few things.

I am a 33 year old single mom of a 13 year old wonderful daughter I currently live in Alaska and suffer from SAD and cannot handle the cold weather and lack of sunshine anymore. I am unemployed as that I was managing our LLC the last year but now I am getting a divorce out of a emotional and verbally abusive relationship, sometimes we have to move...sometimes we need a change. I am CMBS certified medical biller. I have great work and rental references.

I have been on these boards since December looking for advice about areas. In a perfect world I would like to move to Hawaii, but because of cost of living and bad schools that will have to wait.

I have narrowed my search to two cities Austin or Sarasota.....I am an ocean girl and have lived on the ocean most of my life and the thought of land locked Austin does worry me some. They say the economy is better there but I do see less health field jobs there than Florida and the competition in fierce with all the UT grads. I know that Austin is a hipper more progressive area and has good schools but I just don't know if I can do with out the ocean. Also my best friend lives in Florida. I do worry about Florida being to conservative I do have several tattoo's (that I cover for work) and a nose piercing. I love the outdoors and we did have a boat in AK I am sad to see that go.

Anyway, My friend lives in Brandon I could stay with her as long as necessary, I do have some a bit of saving enough to live for about 6 months with freaking out

I really feel like my heart is saying Florida, I love gardening, tropical climates, sun, beaches, the ocean....although the constant strip malls in FL are somewhat of an eyesore. I also see that there are a lot of houses for rent in Sarasota/Bradenton as that I really do not want to live in an apartment complex. I think with all the Docs office's and Hospitals I should be able to find a job.

I also want to do what is best for my daughter. I am looking for advice on being somewhat young and living in Sarasota/Bradenton what neighborhoods should I stay in where are the best schools...middle and high school next year.

I have looked at St Pete/Tampa/ and Brandon but they might be a bit overwhelming to us because they are so big.

Austin or Sarasota I have been trying to decide for weeks and am a little stuck......

Any thoughts would be appreciated...Thank you
I've been here in Austin for nearly 20 years and I'm over it for the most part and have been looking all around Florida, just recently narrowing in on Brandenton or Sarasota!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahla View Post
I LOVE Texas! I would have moved there, but Florida has my heart.

Love Corpus Christi, but would have dreaded explaining prostitutes to my young child. Love San Antonio & Fort Hood area, Austin seemed pretty exciting but I didn't really spend much time there to say for sure. Definitely for the younger crowd, from what I have gathered. I do not like Dallas/ Ft. Worth. In all of these areas, it is not safe to leave your garage door open for too long. I can't live that way.

I would like access to a bigger city, but live in a smaller and close knit community.
You are the first person in my almost 41 years (most living here in Texas) who has ever said they liked, or anything positive for that matter, the Killeen/Ft. Hood area.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck77 View Post
Wasn't the OP trying to decide between Sarasota and Austin?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halapena View Post
I love it here!!!!! My house is great, minutes from the beach and the largest mango tree in my yard I have ever scene! A papaya tree, grapefruit and flowers galore!! I have been riding my bike to the beach everyday and start work tomorrow wish me luck!!! Now I need to make some friends
Awesome! It was nice seeing/reading this transition; a lot of good information also. Once we accept a deal on our home here we'll be out there for a visit and to drive around looking at homes…Hmmm, giving parameters to that SoFl realtor may be a good idea.. Off to befriend her now…

Old 07-27-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfunsun View Post
Wow your post was really informative. My hubbie, I and 3 daughters live outside of Austin on Lake Travis. We are considering a move to FL. At first I looked at Pompano Beach, but schools are crap. I've also been looking at Plantation and Sarasota because of good schools. However, my husband has talked to a few Floridians who have moved here and it sounds discouraging. School standards were lowered so kids could pass? I love TX and have lived here since 1979. Drugs were around my high school...Westwood in NW Austin. I would imagine they are everywhere. My husband is a boat mechanic and also an electrician so he could find work. I'm a stay at home mom but may start working since my youngest just entered kindergarten. Other two are 5th and 8th grade...very bright A students. We love the ocean and are big time into boating. We are waterfront here but dream of getting on the ocean and adventuring to different islands. So you really don't recommend raising a family in FL? Any additional info would be helpful and greatly appreciated
I've also heard a lot of discouraging things from Texas ex-Floridians; primarily about Tampa, Miami, Orlando and the PSL areas however.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You can't believe everything you read on the internet. I live in south Manatee County, and Bradenton is a great little city. It does have high crime in a couple of bad neighborhoods, mostly on the south and southeast side, and along part of the north US 41 corridor. But the areas near the river, and northwest towards the beaches are charming and safe; also the new communities further east near 75. The beaches in Bradenton I think are the best anywhere, and I prefer them over Sarasota's. Not sure why someone is trying to scare you.
Duly noted! I know you weren't addressing me but THANK'S! Very informative; as were a few other posts on this thread.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 PM

27 posts, read 67,813 times
Sarasota you have been good to me but I have accepted a job in Maui and we fly out the 4th!!! I loved the beaches and all of the outdoor recreation in Sarasota but I found the town stuffy. To many rude snowbirds in the winter and the separation between the rich and the poor here is disturbing. I did make many friends and had many fun adventures; even bought a harley See you in paradise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area