Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 12:41 PM

7,979 posts, read 4,627,736 times

Advertisements

The car was estimated to be going 99mph in a 30mph zone. Plus the 2 girls were not wearing their seatbelts. Not good. Sean Leonard was driving 99 mph in crash that also killed Andrew Monroe, Jessica Leonard and Kelly Janis | HeraldTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 12:00 AM

386 posts, read 1,014,967 times
It is just so tragic and so sad. My heart goes out to all the families.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:34 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,122 times
It is SO predominant a problem, younger drivers driving fast to impress their friends, you'd think parents and teachers and law enforcement would get a better handle on it somehow.

Driving that fast through that neighborhood is absolutely insane, but it has been said on many occasions that socializing younger people are, in a way, definitively insane. Common sense and even self-preservation seem non-existent sometimes.

When I was growing up, they showed us a "scared straight" type movie about car wrecks, complete with horrible crash scene photos, etc. I'm pretty sure it worked on some people, but I'm pretty sure it was lost on most of the "I'm immortal" 17 year olds.

Tragic and sad, absolutely.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:40 AM

493 posts, read 1,386,057 times
Default Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
It is SO predominant a problem, younger drivers driving fast to impress their friends, you'd think parents and teachers and law enforcement would get a better handle on it somehow.

Driving that fast through that neighborhood is absolutely insane, but it has been said on many occasions that socializing younger people are, in a way, definitively insane. Common sense and even self-preservation seem non-existent sometimes.

When I was growing up, they showed us a "scared straight" type movie about car wrecks, complete with horrible crash scene photos, etc. I'm pretty sure it worked on some people, but I'm pretty sure it was lost on most of the "I'm immortal" 17 year olds.

Tragic and sad, absolutely.

As I read this article it brought back memories of when I was young, we did some stupid things and many of us had a little of the " I'm immortal" attitude as well. Fortunately, we did most of our high speed driving in the boon docks away from neighborhoods.

Your right Rushmore, common sense goes out the window sometimes when your young!

The picture of the car on the flatbed says it all!

Terrible tragedy!!

Old 04-13-2011, 11:38 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Yet if you read the comments written on the attached article they're annoyed that the paper printed this story. There is mindset down here I noticed that any time teens are killed in a crash(and it is quite often) no one mentions personal responsibility.

They don't think pointing out the fact that he was doing almost 70 miles over the speed limit and the fact that the girls weren't wearing seat belts was necessary (although at that speed it wouldn't have mattered).

It is always labeled a "tragic accident". When in fact it was a completely avoidable situation.

You see the crying teenagers on the news, the flowers on the side of the road, but no one addresses that this was due to reckless driving.

This driver already had 3 tickets for reckless driving, had a reputation for speeding, yet the parents never thought to take the car away? He has speeding for the last two years since he was a minor.

On the news the principal of the Sarasota Military Academy where the girls went to school called it "God's choice". Was God driving the car?

No parent should have to bury a child, but this kid was a time bomb on the road, yet no one took any action or thought to take away the car.

He only graduated HS last year so chances are very good this vehicle was registered to his parents, now in addition to losing their children the family will most likely be sued by the other families.

The whole situation was completely avoidable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area