U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 AM

471 posts, read 555,177 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data folks,

My fiancé and I are looking for someplace to have a casual wedding ceremony for 25 or so people. We're hoping not to spend an arm and a leg so most of the real fancy places are out. We want someplace that looks great preferably near the water. Most beach situations don't work because it has to be wheelchair accessible. We are looking at June 12th which will be hot but since the ceremony will be short we are fine outside or in. We have an officiant lined up. We can rent chairs if it's someplace non-traditional.
We're thinking of having dinner in Sarasota, so someplace not too far from there would be great. We are open to suggestion at this point. We are moving to North Port in mid April so we can't really see anything in person which makes it more difficult. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chet
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 07:41 AM

913 posts, read 2,237,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
Hello City-Data folks,

My fiancé and I are looking for someplace to have a casual wedding ceremony for 25 or so people. We're hoping not to spend an arm and a leg so most of the real fancy places are out. We want someplace that looks great preferably near the water. Most beach situations don't work because it has to be wheelchair accessible. We are looking at June 12th which will be hot but since the ceremony will be short we are fine outside or in. We have an officiant lined up. We can rent chairs if it's someplace non-traditional.
We're thinking of having dinner in Sarasota, so someplace not too far from there would be great. We are open to suggestion at this point. We are moving to North Port in mid April so we can't really see anything in person which makes it more difficult. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chet
Didn't Rushmore do this a couple years back?

You could still have it at the beach. They have beach wheelchairs at Siesta Beach you can use. Not sure if they have them at other beaches. Call the county parks department to get more info.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:22 AM

471 posts, read 555,177 times
I found that old thread and there are some possibilities there but many of them are beyond our budget. We are really just looking for a place to have a 20 - 30 minute wedding ceremony and a lot of places want 2K or more which seems excessive for what we have in mind. Having my finances sister in one of those beach wheelchairs would be a last resort.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:29 AM

5,648 posts, read 9,871,926 times
I attended a wedding a few years ago at this place (I think):
Historic Spanish Point Weddings (http://www.historicspanishpoint.org/Weddings_.htm - broken link)
and it was really nice. The weather was good, though. Not sure what happens if the weather turns.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:10 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,682,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I attended a wedding a few years ago at this place (I think):
Historic Spanish Point Weddings (http://www.historicspanishpoint.org/Weddings_.htm - broken link)
and it was really nice. The weather was good, though. Not sure what happens if the weather turns.
I'd have to agree with this^^^. That's were I got married in 1999, at Spanish Point in Mary's Chapel. It was a beautiful, small, intimate wedding. A friend of mine drove me and our oldest daughter to the little church in his antique Rolls Royce.

I don't really recall but I don't believe the wedding was very expensive.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:18 PM

164 posts, read 335,636 times
Check out Longboat Island Chapel:

Island Chapel Weddings

I got married there nine years ago in the outdoor gazebo surrounded by beautiful gardens. Then we went across the street to Whitney Beach for sunset photos.

They have (or at least had back then) an onsite wedding coordinator who was a huge help in planning my wedding and dinner reception for 20 people, since I live out-of-state. Unfortunately, The Colony Resort where we had our dinner is now closed.

Good luck with your plans!

Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,791,318 times
I have seen weddings taking place at Gilchrest Park, Punta Gorda, FL. They have a gazebo that people get married under and it is looking over the Peace River. It is not too far from North Port. It has sidewalks, a pier, gardens, restrooms, shelters, picnic tables, and four parking lots. You can check it out by going to City of Punta Gorda web site and go to their parks.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:39 AM

913 posts, read 2,237,095 times
What about one of the parks overlooking the intercoastal? Such as the one right across Siesta Bridge? There is a chapel on Siesta Key, but I do not know anything about it.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:36 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,154,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
Didn't Rushmore do this a couple years back?

You could still have it at the beach. They have beach wheelchairs at Siesta Beach you can use. Not sure if they have them at other beaches. Call the county parks department to get more info.
Yes we did, and we did it very well, thank you very much.

We had ours on The Floating Chapel, which was awesome:

I do not recall the exact amount they charged, but I know it was reasonable.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,957,158 times
My Brother had his at the gazebo in Lashley Park in Punta Gorda.
It's was nice but quite uncomfortable in a suit having an outdoor wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>